Focusing

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Focusing

Post by Gordon »

Being I'm getting older, my eyesight is not as good as it was. Many times I find that I spend lots of time getting things focused to where they look good to me but when I process them I discover that what I thought was focused was not. So I thought I would start this thread to both, ask how others are accomplishing good focus and some of the techniques I have used.

For both photography and visual work the good old "Hartmann mask" https://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php ... 87,0,0,1,0. I have used my version of this on some of my smaller scopes in the past. It works well and is inexpensive to make. (I used the bottom of an old butter container).
Also there are Bahtinov Masks. These work similar to the Hartmann but I found the Bahtinov is a bit more 'accurate'. These can be purchased from most telescope vendors, and you can even make one yourself!! https://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/m ... -mask.html

I'm now using electronic focusers on my telescopes so for deepsky I'm using the 'autofocus' tools that most of the capture software provides. Nina is the one I use the most. https://nighttime-imaging.eu/docs/maste ... autofocus/. As mentioned in their article, you can set the autofocus to re-adjust while taking long multiple exposures.

For Solar, Lunar and planetary it's a little more difficult. Sharpcap uses a method to autofocus, but I personally haven't had a lot of luck with it for solar images. The constant in and out of focus because of the atmosphere. The waviness is caused by turbulence in the atmosphere, so there's not much that can be done to combat it. Taking video of the object rather than trying to capture a single shot is one way. Using stacking software like Astrosurface http://astrosurface.com/pageuk.html or AutoStakkert https://www.autostakkert.com/ will allow help you select the best images to stack.

I would like to hear what others are doing.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Focusing

Post by bobharmony »

Gordon

I have used a bahtinov mask for focusing for several years. I have used it both with BackyardEOS and APT tools to do the measurements, as I don't seem to have much luck figuring out the proper position for the "X" when looking by eye. I believe N.I.N.A. has a bathinov tool in the "imaging" tab as well. Someday I get an electronic focuser but for now the manual way with the mask is my go-to.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I started out using a Bahtinov mask. It is a little bit tricky to use on a Newtonian, because you have to coordinate the spikes from the mask with the spikes from the secondary spider. Without proper coordination, they can interfere with each other and with the focusing process. With careful use, it was very accurate.

Drawbacks of the Bahtinov mask are: forgetting to remove it (you will, I guarantee it!) and having to be out in the cold. As I automated my sessions, I switched to a focus motor and automated focusing. After getting the focuser parameters, especially backlash, dialed in in the software, it has been very reliable.

I haven't done much planetary imaging. When I have, I mostly just focused by eye. For solar imaging, specifically the transits of Venus (2012) and Mercury (2019), I made a Hartmann mask, which was fairly easy to use.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I use a Bahtinov mask for all my scopes that need critical focus.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

I used to use a bahtinov mask and found it easy and reliable. I use APT which has a tool for measuring the spike but I never really got on with it.

However, since attaching ZWO EAFs to my scopes I do it automatically using the autofocus tool in APT.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Like David, I use acquisition software for autofocus. Like Gordon, I use N.I.N.A. for autofocus and had good success with it right out of the box.
In fact, I recently installed the N.I.N.A plugin "Hocus Focus" which is superb. Not only does it focus by averaging star HFR in the chosen region of interest, it also rejects stars of insufficient brightness or irregularities such as eccentricity.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Gordon - I used a Bahtinov mask in the beginning and always had good success with it. Once I was able to control my equipment from a laptop in the house I purchased a motorized focuser for the telescope. I continued to use the Bahtinov mask for a while, but, didn't like having to go out and put the mask on for focusing and then go out and take it off after focusing (sometimes forgetting to take it off!). Finally I switched to software auto-focus when it became available on APT. It has always worked well for me.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks for the info on the Hartmann mask Gordon, I'll have to make one and try it. I'm mostly Solar/Lunar for AP, so a Bahtinov doesn't really work for me.

I'm "building" a portable Solar white light setup; almost finished and probably have spent too much. I'm hoping to do what I did with my C80-HD; that is, lock it into focus on the Moon (pick some prominent craters and go from there) and then you're good to go with the Sun.

Still, it would be nice to use the scope I'm making with this for visual, and the Hartmann mask might be my ticket to "eyepiece to AP", so to speak. Thanks too for the link on the proper way to make one, everything else I've found so far is really a general idea...

Much appreciated!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Hi Gordan,

I'm one of the few hold outs, I don't auto focus even though I have EAFs on both my scopes. I sometimes use the Bahtinov aide in APT, but I normally use a tool called Focus Aid. It measures HFD, I get is at low as I can, usually about .5 on one of the stars closest to the edge oi the FOV.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Like most folks here, I started with a Bahtinov mask and then moved to a Pegasus Autofocus. Getting the backlash dialed in took a bit of work but now that is dialed in it's really convenient. Overall I get much better focus since I went ahead and automated. Also, the autofocuser will automatically refocus when the temperature drops. The autofocuser is also super handy when switching filters using a filter wheel.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

I use autofocus in APT and refocus every 1.5 degrees change in temp or on filter change , I was using inverted method in Apt but switched to hfd for now as I can’t seem to get inverted to work properly at the minute since changing camera to atik 490 mm and I use better of two algorithm, if your doing imaging you definitely need to refocus if temperature changing a few degrees during the night imo.