Poll question: new subforum for reprocessed images?

If you find a problem or you just want to tell us how great this forum is, post it here!!!
(We do listen!)

Should we create a new "Reprocessed" subforum for images.

Poll ended at Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:14 pm

Yes
70%
No
15%
No opinion
15%

Total votes: 20

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Poll question: new subforum for reprocessed images?

Post by Gordon »

The TEAM is creating a poll for members to vote as to whether we should create a new subforum for "reprocessed images".
With the combination of weather problems, and testing out new software. Members who do astrophotography are always trying out new techniques. The new subforum would give them a place to spotlight the repo and keep the regular forums for only newly captured images.

The poll will run for 7 days.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Poll question: new subforum for reprocessed images?

Post by sdbodin »

One question, is gathering more data and applying to original image now a reprocessed image? Or maybe gathering a narrow band, Ha for example, and applying to an RGB image now a reprocessed image?

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

sdbodin wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 pm One question, is gathering more data and applying to original image now a reprocessed image? Or maybe gathering a narrow band, Ha for example, and applying to an RGB image now a reprocessed image?

Steve
Great question Steve!

I think I know what my feelings are about it but I will run it by the team.

Just curious... What's your opinion?
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

If new data collected and added I would consider it a new image.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Another instance has come to mind, which I have done, is rendering 'star-less' and even going to mono from a color image previously posted.

To my mind these resultant pics seem different and not re-processed, which they obviously are since they are derived from the same original data.

Worms in large cans have been opened me thinks.

I have not voted yet, but am tending "no", change my mind.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I am one of the lonely "no" votes. It seems to me like it just makes more housekeeping work for the Moderators to ensure images are posted in the correct sub-forum, without adding any real benefit to those who are interested in seeing images, just the need to look in two places to see the images we love to check out.

Whatever happens is fine with me, just wanted to add my 2¢

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

After much thought, we have come up with something that should work better.

Effective today we have done the following:

Astrophotography “Prefix”.
We have added a new feature to our Astrophotography forum.
When you create a new topic you will be shown an option to add a “prefix” to your topic:

Click on the down arrow and you will be presented with two options:
“New Image”
Or
“Reprocessed Image”
A “New Image” is any image that has not been posted before or has had additional data added.
A “Reprocessed Image” is an image that has been posted before but you are trying out new processing techniques.

Using this method we don't have to split up the existing forums into subforums as suggested in the poll.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I see how this works for the creator of a topic but what is the benefit to the consumer/reader? Will there be a tag visible somewhere for sorting? I don't think you clarified that.

I voted yes partly because it is clear how subforums work but if this is a one-off construct that has limited benefit and clutters the usability, I would have voted no. Sometimes less is more.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:49 pm I see how this works for the creator of a topic but what is the benefit to the consumer/reader? Will there be a tag visible somewhere for sorting? I don't think you clarified that.

I voted yes partly because it is clear how subforums work but if this is a one-off construct that has limited benefit and clutters the usability, I would have voted no. Sometimes less is more.
There will be the ability to search and sort by in the future.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.