Moon Moon 2.7.2023

Let's see your reports!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Moon Moon 2.7.2023

Post by pakarinen »

Since last night was forecast to be clear before clouds and rain roll in, I took out my 72ED about 20:30 for lunar firstlight. It was a bit too close to full for my tastes, but I'm happy I went out. I saw and identified several features along the terminator which I haven't seen before, or if I have, I have no memory / notes of them:

Craters:
Geminus
Burckhardt
Cleomedes
Macrobius
Bilharz
Naonobu
Atwood

The central peak of Langrenus was poking up out the darkness. And maybe the best catch: Dorsa Geike:
Inkeddorsa.jpg
Inkeddorsa.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 232 times

Also did a few obligatory open clusters while I waited for the moon to clear my neighbor's tree - sword of Orion, M41, M47, and The Praesepe, but M50 was no bueno for whatever reason. All in all a short but good session.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Moon Moon 2.7.2023

Post by Nakedgun »

pakarinen wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:41 pm Since last night was forecast to be clear before clouds and rain roll in, I took out my 72ED about 20:30 for lunar firstlight. It was a bit too close to full for my tastes, but I'm happy I went out. I saw and identified several features along the terminator which I haven't seen before, or if I have, I have no memory / notes of them:

Craters:
Geminus
Burckhardt
Cleomedes
Macrobius
Bilharz
Naonobu
Atwood

The central peak of Langrenus was poking up out the darkness. And maybe the best catch: Dorsa Geike:
Inkeddorsa.jpg

Also did a few obligatory open clusters while I waited for the moon to clear my neighbor's tree - sword of Orion, M41, M47, and The Praesepe, but M50 was no bueno for whatever reason. All in all a short but good session.
~

I was all set to enjoy the 95% illuminated Moon upon rising last night, as well, but clouds had other plans, unexpectedly.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Olen. A nice observing report from you using your 72ED telescope. After you grabbed some open clusters and DSO objects you followed this with nice list of lunar surface details that you observed. And spotting the central peaks of Crater Langrenus (132 km) on the eastern side of Mare Fecunditatis was a rewarding catch. Did you also view Crater Vendelinus (147 km) which was close by too? Thanks for your fun read report of your short session Olen and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Makuser wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 pm Did you also view Crater Vendelinus (147 km) which was close by too?
Possibly, but I didn't identify it. I was using a lunar map app on my phone, which is not the best given the screen size and the comparatively small number of features the app shows. I'll have to check if Vendelinus looks familiar on Virtual Moon or one of my paper atlases.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Soooo... I checked my Wood and Collins atlas and I think Vendelinus was mostly in shadow based on what I saw of Langrenus and the position of the terminator at the time.

I was also perplexed by a cluster of craters to the WSW of Langrenus. I now believe that was Goclenius, Magelhaens, Colombo, Cook, and Monge.