Advice needed. Time sensitive.

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Advice needed. Time sensitive.

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

It is clear here, and I plan on going out to view and photograph C/2022 E3 (ZTF) tonight in about 6 hours.

However, there is a problem. I happened to be checking stellariumweb for the RA DEC, and the time to see it, and this comet is moving FAST. After adjusting the view to fit my true field of view, which is about 1.33 degrees, as every minute passed, the comet moved slightly.

This is all according to stellariumweb, but it’s a pretty good source for my astronomy hobby.

Anyway, I take pictures with my iPhone, using an app called NightCap. I take long exposures. If the comet is moving this fast, then I either really have to shorten my exposure times to about five seconds, or find another way to make sure that it doesn’t get fuzzy because the comet is moving.

My telescope can track DSOs and planets, but I don’t think it can track comets moving this fast. I could be wrong.

I do have a .5x focal reducer. If I reduce the FOV, will this help resolve the issue?

I realize that even then, the comet will be moving, but I bet it will move through the FOV slower if I had a focal reducer.

If this won’t work, I don’t know what to do.

Any idea on how I can get a picture without it getting fuzzy, because the comet is moving?
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Re: Advice needed. Time sensitive.

Post by Gfamily »

The comet will be fuzzy anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Advice needed. Time sensitive.

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks for getting back. I appreciate it. You’re absolutely right, it will be fuzzy. Shouldn’t make much of a difference.

Still, I think I will lower my exposure time.

Maybe I will also record a video of the comet moving out of the field of view.

I will make that decision tonight.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead