SkyFi 3 Wireless Telescope controller

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

SkyFi 3 Wireless Telescope controller

Post by OzEclipse »

After 6 years, my SkyFi router would not charge. GULP!
The symptom was that when connected to the USB charger the charge indicator was flashing rapidly. Normally the led just stays on.

I went to the web and the only discussions I could find were on cranky nights with threads about how people couldn't open the case.

I wrote to the manufacturer, they directed me to a forum that I could not login to. I ended up in and endless CAPTCHA loop.

The manufacturer uses four tri-wing head self tapping screws to hold the case closed. I ordered a large set of screwdriver bits that included the tri wing tips. After removing the four screws the case opens very easily.
SkyFi-insides.JPG
Examination showed the problem straight away. The battery was soldered in to the board unsupported by any mechanical support. Over time the connector has fatigued and cracked. I used some double sided tape to support it and then created a nice strong solder bridge to reconnect.

If anyone ever needs to replace the battery, it's a flat top 18650 Lithium battery. 18650's come in 3 profiles. The button top profiles won't fit. Make sure you get the 65mm flat top version.

It's the one shown on the left, 65mm long.
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.13.57 pm.png
I also ordered 4 conventional head 2.2mm x 13mm self tapping screws to replace the tri wings just to simplify any future maintenance. I'm holding the case together with some tape until the screws arrive next week.

Here it is charging again.
SkyFi-Working again.JPG

:D :D :D

One happy camper!

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Oldfort Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: SkyFi 3 Wireless Telescope controller

Post by Oldfort »

Thank you for this - really helpful. I bought one of these, used, 4+ years ago and so I don't expect the battery to last much longer.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Oldfort wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:29 pm Thank you for this - really helpful. I bought one of these, used, 4+ years ago and so I don't expect the battery to last much longer.
Hi Oldfort,
Don’t worry too much. Most lithium cells can do 500 to 1000 recharge cycles. I thought my battery was dead until I estimated how few recharge cycles it’s probably done. 6 years times 20-30 nights per year is 120-180 cycles. At 6 years, it’s just a baby compared to a smart phone that gets cycled daily. Then when I opened it up and saw the broken connection it made sense. I don’t know how often you use the SkyFi but it’s battery is probably at more risk from being left in the cupboard discharged rather than from too many cycles.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Oldfort Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Oldfort »

Thanks Joe, that's reassuring.