Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

January 2023 Solar Chats.

Post by Gordon »

Back a couple years ago we had a number of "solar heads" that started a chat area here. I'm not sure what happened but it seemed to stop, so I thought I would start it up again.

I know we still have a few "solar heads" around and we would sure like to hear from you!!!

Our sun is very active right now so lets see some photos!!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: January 2023 Solar Chats.

Post by Tillibobs »

Hi Gordon,
The original Solarheads ( back in the days of the previous forum ) won't be as fit and healthy as they were, so probably find it more difficult to set up and image. In the case of the UK Old Sol is still very low in the sky, and I wouldn't expect to begin imaging much before Easter ( sky permitting ). I'm still available to give my 2 cents worth and help anyone I can, but much depends on how long the chemotherapy halts the progress of my cancers.
I " tune in " most mornings to see what's new up there .
Perhaps we should have a role call of the old crew to see who's still on the right side of the grass ???
Keith
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

We have quite a few that haven't been on for quite some time. In my research it appears they have not been active on any of the solar forums which is not good news....

I haven't been able to confirm any 'passings' but strange they just disappeared.

Anyway.

I did discover a great solar imaging tutorial on the "Solar Chat" forum so I thought I would post a link here to share. It's for using a DayStar Quark but some of the tips fit any solar imaging.

https://solarchatforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=34220
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I don't focus much on the sun (too expensive), but I would suspect that there will be growing interest as we get closer to the next big eclipse.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I ordered myself a solar wedge apm, to take advantage of this 25th cycle.
I am waiting for the delivery.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I do miss the many solar images from the past posters, I only do visual.
I seem find white light a bit better than HA for for tracking the spots, and use the PST more for proms.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Solar imaging is something I'd like to try out one day. I've admired the work of lowjiber, tillibobs, and Gordon (and anyone else I've missed) . First have to get a Lunt or Coronado I guess...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

I enjoy solar viewing/imaging although I haven't done much of either due to clouds/rain/snow. I bought a Daystar SS60DS a few months back and have only gotten the chance to use it on 2 occasions and they were very brief views between the clouds.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

My first attempt was using a solar filter on a ETX80 mead scope. Unfortunately my timing was off and solar activity dead. Eventually John (Lowjiber) got me interested in using a DayStar Quark with my ED80 refractor. I found it was a great way to go!
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

January's weather is not co-operating with me!!!

Nothing but clouds and rain!

Hopefully this weekend it will clear out enough to capture some images.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

Bill Hume
Earth Ambassador

Post by Bill Hume »

The weather (and a very low sun in Scotland) has prevented any solar so far this year so here's one from last year. Roll on sunny skies.
Bill H.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I do solar viewing often, visual with Thousand Oaks filters only. I'm interested in the solar imagery though!

Our club did an outreach for almost 500 locals in 2017 and we are planning for the 2024 event.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Don't know how I missed this thread... There's a few I haven't seen here lately; John (lowjiber), Frazz, Michael (I forget his user ID) living here in southern Ontario...

I still get out on those sunny days, I've had more clear days than nights. I'm sure you're all too familiar with my pics... For now, white light only (Baader film), though having come into a bit of money recently, I wouldn't mind upping my game to Calcium-K, which for some reason I find very interesting. Not sure whether to go glass Baader filter or Daystar on that... Any advice or parts for sale? :D

HA is just too expensive up here, I'd be looking at a minimum of just under $1000 for a basic Lunt 40mm... And of course I'd want to do AP, so that means an astro camera and a laptop. I like my white light and DSLR, quick to setup and use.

A Herschel wedge is something else I'd like, again, any advice or have one for sale you don't want?

The upcoming 2024 eclipse... From my backyard I'll get 97% totality, but I think the 200 mile drive to Kingston, Ontario on April 8th for 100% might be in my future.... I can see me now; all set up at a truck stop parking lot on the Trans Canada highway :lol:

Thanks for starting this up again Gordon!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

hi all ,
I just received an email telling me that my apm solar wedge has finally arrived.
I should receive it on the 22nd.
yessssssssssss

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

C'est une bonne nouvelle!! I was looking at that as well, where did you order from? Look forward to hearing about your premiere lumiere avec ca!

Tout le meilleur mon ami,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:22 am C'est une bonne nouvelle!! I was looking at that as well, where did you order from? Look forward to hearing about your premiere lumiere avec ca!

Tout le meilleur mon ami,
Hi my good friend ,
I ordered it from .
david astro in bouchreville in quebec.
he is the one who sells it the cheapest.
it's not cheap but it's the one that has a very good review.
I give you the link.
all the best to you too.

https://davidastro.com/apm-herschel-wed ... -filter-2/

― Isaac Asimov

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I haven't pulled out my Lunt 80mm Ha scope in over a year. I keep seeing all these reports about the sun being active again so I should change that.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, now you have me digging... :lol:

I have every Astro-related pic I've ever taken backed up on two USB hard drives (redundancy) along with other things deemed important.

Did some searching; found the first Solar pic I ever took, back on Sept. 8, 2017. I used the Baader 5.0ND filter I still use today with my C80-HD, Canon T3 and no filters on the nosepiece. I took 15 pictures at ISO 800 and 1/1000th sec exp.

Post processing involved aligning in PIPP and stacking with AS3. I'd been taking pics of the Moon for some time, so at least that part was familiar.

I posted this on AF.net. From left to right clockwise are AR's 2678, 77, 79, 74 and 73. I was rather proud of myself...

09-08-2017.jpg

Soon after, I learned about software for ol' Sol. This is a redo of the above today in ImPPG and Gimp. I still have the directories that PIPP makes as well as the original RAW files. You can only get so much quality output out of the crappy input, but it is better:

09-08-2017_redo.jpg

5 1/2 years later. My T3 died two years ago, I now have a low-mileage used EOS 550D (T2i) with a sensor cleaner, I still use the same scope and front filter (no pinholes; it lives in a tupperware container), and now I have a Baader UV/IR cut and single-stack Solar Continuum filter for the camera nosepiece. Now I take about 120 shots at ISO 800 and 1/200th sec exp as the Sun drifts through the camera's viewfinder. Manual mount...
Plus I'm more familiar with the software used, and have had years to experiment with everything. I've tried the Baader 3.8ND film, but it's a bit much for my DSLR. Be better off with a CMOS camera for that.

I also found a royalty-free image of the planets to scale on one of NASA's many web pages, so I thought I'd scale that to the Sun for effect.

This is the last image I've taken of ol' Sol on Feb 14 of this year.

Sun_02_14_2023a.jpg

Filters and knowledge help :lol:

Well, that's been my Solar AP journey. I'd like to hear about yours.... :D

All the best,
Mark

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

hi everyone ,
I just received my solar wedge.
a day in advance.
first impression,
bigger than I thought and heavier.
funny thing though,
no instructions with the solar wedge.

obviously, I received it after the sun went down lol.
I'm sorry for the people who live near me (a radius of about 500 kilometers)
for the clouds that are going to peak.
Attachments
apm solar wedge.jpg

― Isaac Asimov

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Je pense que ce moi aussi, mon ami!! :lol:

Jean-Yves, it was nice and sunny here this morning, than at noon the clouds and wind came in, the temperature dropped... Now it all makes sense!

I'm surprised at the no instructions or specs on it. Website maybe? And that is very large as well, wow!

Hopefully you have clear skies, but you're probably in for the storm we're getting here tomorrow night/Thursday as well. Hope you get first light soon; interested in hearing your experiences!

All the best,
Mark