Anybody like the Edmund Astroscan?

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Anybody like the Edmund Astroscan?

Post by helicon »

I have a chance to pick up an old late 1970's red Astroscan. Curious if anyone on the forum had (or has) one? When I was a kid the boys down the street got one for Christmas but I only looked through it once. Iconic design to be sure....
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Anybody like the Edmund Astroscan?

Post by Ylem »

Back in highschool, my best friend and I beg his dad to take us to Edmond Scientific, and of course we brought one home.
At the time we both had Sears refractors, but with the amazing FOV, the Astroscan won our hearts, we would lie in the cow field till the wee hours.

I would buy one just for those memories, but if I recall there was a fair amount of coma around the edges.

Nevertheless, it's a classic :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. I remember how popular these little telescopes were back in their day. It is great to own a classic telescope from the past Michael so I would grab it up. Also, I recalled seeing a home made scaled-up version of the Astroscan in Sky&Telescope many years ago. I researched and found it here at:
http://www.jerryoltion.com/astroscan.htm
I hope that you enjoy this article and the best of wishes Michael in obtaining this original Astroscan.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Never had or used one, but I did see an apparent clone recently on a vendor's site somewhere. I'd consider getting one for the grandkids if they showed interest in observing.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

The optics is quite modest by modern standards, but if the price is right could be a fun piece for display or casual observing.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:50 pm The optics is quite modest by modern standards, but if the price is right could be a fun piece for display or casual observing.
Yeah I am not sure that low f-ratio reflectors were that good at the time, plus the pane of glass at the working end of the scope might impede light. At any rate I could put it on my desk as a conversation piece...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I had one as a kid in the late 70's and I'm not sure what happened to it since astronomy has been a hobby of mine since I was around 12 yrs old. A couple of years ago I had the good fortune of picking up another mint AstroScan from a neighbor that had bought it for his kids (Now adults with their own children.) His kids had no interest in it so he gave it to me. It came with all of the accessories, the sight-through finder, 2 eyepieces, a 2x Barlow, a tripod, and a strap. He even still had the original owner's manual and brochure for it!
I kept it for a year or so and ended up giving it to my best friend that has 2 small children. They love it and pull it out all the time to use it.
There's an interesting story behind that design and apparently, the only mold for the red plastic body broke which is why production came to a halt. It sure seems like in these modern times it would be easy enough to do a 3d scan of one and remake the molds.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Miniature astroscan-like scope (76mm) , pretty interesting.
-Michael
JimSpin United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by JimSpin »

I have both the Astroscan and the Bushnell clone. All the reviews I read say the Astroscan, with its parabolic mirror is better than the Bushnell's spherical mirror, but to be honest, my buddy and I both thought the Bushnell was sharper. Go figure.

Both were adequate for lunar observing. I didnt examine the Bushnell, but the Astroscan uses a "rubber hose" inserted on a focus axle that uses friction to engage the focus. I found this "rubber hose" tends to wear down or get slippery making focusing difficult.

It won't replace a full-blown tracking scope but this type of scope has great portability for shore or mountain trips.

Good luck!
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

I used to own an original Astroscan in the early 80's. I had the whole setup, plus a really heavy duty tripod. I really liked the low power rich field of stars and nebulae and scanned the skies with it quite a bit. That's what it's best at! High powers, not so much! It's a great little unique scope IMO.

The attached image is a copy of a photo showing my Astroscan and original orange Celestron 8" Schmidt Cassegrain taken with a film camera. I no longer own those two telescopes. I wish I still had them!
Attachments
IMG_20210510_063621107.jpg
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

helicon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:43 pm Curious if anyone on the forum had (or has) one?
No, but I've always wanted one!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."