Reducer Field flattener and edge sharpness?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Reducer Field flattener and edge sharpness?

Post by realflow100 »

With my regular flattener (and spacers to get the spacing perfect) I can achieve 99.5% sharp corners in the farthest corners
but with my brand new Reducer 0.8x field flattener. even the edges aren't very good looking. not to mention the far corners
Tried increasing spacing by 0.5mm and it got WAY worse.
So it looks like my T2 ring is too thick.
How do I get a slimmer T2 M48 ring so I can adjust the spacing closer for my canon SL1/100D DSLR APSC camera and sv193 0.8x reducer field flattener for 70mm ED F6 svbony telescope?

Do slimmer T2 rings exist? Or do I have to send it to a shop to have them slim it down with a lathe. or custom built one from scratch?
Edit: I think I found one but adjusting the spacing with it will be very tricky. its ultra precise https://davidastro.com/ts-optics-ultras ... -m48x0-75/
Would this work for me?
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

!

Post by realflow100 »

I just discovered a way to attach my ST80 lens to my 70mm ED telescope tube. with the 70mm lens switched out for the ST80 lens.
I can now shoot images at 80mm F4 320mm FL with the reducer flattener. I actually tested it and the corners look better than on the 70mm lens!
looks like the reducer flattener works just slightly better with my ST80 lens
Theres significantly more CA but I get brighter image
I can see magnitude 10 and 12 galaxies detectable in only a 5 second exposure (very noisy but visible) and 20 seconds they are obvious

heres a short exposure stacked image of 6 minutes 50 seconds showing what I can do with F4 aperture at 320mm focal length!
Cropped to just the interesting parts of the image. some galaxies. M109 in the first image on the left side. you can even just barely make out some slight spiral shape!

I can swap back and forth between my ST80 F5 lens and the 70mm F6 ED lens on my telescope which is really cool.
I think I will have to stick to the regular plain flattener for my 70mm F6 ED lens because the corners are pretty bad looking with the reducer on it. however the reducer flattener works decent with my ST80 lens so I can use it with that.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.