Phone Cameras

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Phone Cameras

Post by Baurice »

Honestly? I don't like them. I thought that the compact digital cameras that they replaced were far better for astronomy.

That doesn't stop me from having a go, though. I will be trying out various things with them. I will be doing stuff with DSLR cameras, too and, if/when my back gets better, I will also be using a telescope.

One of my mission goals is to try and get good photos without spending too much money. I am also trying out free image processing apps.

Keep watching my blog for more information:

http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Phone Cameras

Post by JayTee »

There is an app I use for my smartphone AP, Deep Sky Camera. If you have an Android phone, this app is very useful. I'm still experimenting with it as it has many functions that can be adjusted.

Here's the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

JayTee wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:24 pm There is an app I use for my smartphone AP, Deep Sky Camera. If you have an Android phone, this app is very useful.
I've had it on my phone too but haven't really played with it yet. Need to mount my phone to one of my mounts. The latest development will let me take subs up to 60 seconds on my S22 instead of 30.

So much different tech to play with here, sometimes forget some! :lol:

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

NightCap gets very good reviews. Looks like it's less intuitive than other long exposure apps though.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Oldfort Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Oldfort »

pakarinen wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:37 pm NightCap gets very good reviews. Looks like it's less intuitive than other long exposure apps though.
I agree about it not being very intuitive, and the documentation is quite limited. However there is an excellent guide on CN written by Geezergazer,.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

JayTee wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:24 pm There is an app I use for my smartphone AP, Deep Sky Camera. If you have an Android phone, this app is very useful. I'm still experimenting with it as it has many
Thanks! Going to try it.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

I use Nightcap on my Iphone 11 with my telescope, with pretty good results. You just got to know how to use it properly. After doing phone editing, like raising exposure, brilliance, etc, I get great photos.

My favorite examples, all taken with Nightcap:
M13
M13
M42-43
M42-43
M57
M57
M8
M8
M10 with C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS
M10 with C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:29 pm I use Nightcap on my Iphone 11 with my telescope, with pretty good results. You just got to know how to use it properly. After doing phone editing, like raising exposure, brilliance, etc, I get great

Jared
That’s amazing to think you got images like that with just an I phone !😳
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:29 pm I use Nightcap on my Iphone 11 with my telescope, with pretty good results. You just got to know how to use it properly. After doing phone editing, like raising exposure, brilliance, etc, I get great photos.
What settings are you using? I just downloaded NC onto my iPhone and it looks like the longest exposure I can make is 1/2-sec, which seems odd.

I have two other apps and while they have limited features, I can do much longer exposures.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

pakarinen wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:00 pm
Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:29 pm I use Nightcap on my Iphone 11 with my telescope, with pretty good results. You just got to know how to use it properly. After doing phone editing, like raising exposure, brilliance, etc, I get great photos.
What settings are you using? I just downloaded NC onto my iPhone and it looks like the longest exposure I can make is 1/2-sec, which seems odd.

I have two other apps and while they have limited features, I can do much longer exposures.
Do you see the star symbol on the lower left of the screen when you pull up the app and are in the camera? If you do, tap it, and then select “long exposure.” What I like to do, is set the ISO to 12500. I do this by swiping up on the left side of the phone. This makes it brighter. You can adjust this if it gets too bright, though.

I also swipe up on the right side of the phone and set it to 1/1. This is the exposure. I find this is the only way to capture big detail on objects like the Orion nebula. It also helps see faint objects like the black eye galaxy.

On the bottom, is the FOC. I just adjust that until the image is nice and crisp. I would focus your telescope, first, then use that to fine-tune the focus. It will continue to auto focus sometimes during the exposure, if you don’t set it.

If you want to do a brighter object, like the moon, don’t use too high an exposure and ISO.

You can use this to capture sunspots on the sun. However, you need a solar filter.

That’s about all the advice I can give right now. I have yet to make this app work for planetary observing, but I’m still working on it. I actually reached out to the company, and they gave me some good tips. I’ll see if I can find that email and post what they said.

If you need more help, I can post a screenshot from my phone to show you what I mean.

Good luck, and I’m glad I was able to teach somebody some thing this time!

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead