Ready to start imaging...almost

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Ready to start imaging...almost

Post by Razz »

I have my imaging rig set up in my living room and for the past few weeks I've been learning about the software I'm going to use, practiced taking flats, darks and bias frames, things like that. Now, I just need to get outside and do it. I believe I have everything I need to get started...almost. I'm lacking the one thing that even Amazon doesn't sell...CLEAR SKIES! I can't even do solar to just practice on the image processing software I have. I'm about ready to paint my ceiling black and buy a planetarium projector (which Amazon DOES sell) just so I can image something! :lol: The only thing I can up with for this constant cloudy weather is there has to be a secret astronomical society close by me and they keep buying new gear! They're probably rich so they can just fly anywhere in the world that has clear skies! Rant over...I need a beer...
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Ready to start imaging...almost

Post by Gordon »

Razz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:57 pm I have my imaging rig set up in my living room and for the past few weeks I've been learning about the software I'm going to use, practiced taking flats, darks and bias frames, things like that. Now, I just need to get outside and do it. I believe I have everything I need to get started...almost. I'm lacking the one thing that even Amazon doesn't sell...CLEAR SKIES! I can't even do solar to just practice on the image processing software I have. I'm about ready to paint my ceiling black and buy a planetarium projector (which Amazon DOES sell) just so I can image something! :lol: The only thing I can up with for this constant cloudy weather is there has to be a secret astronomical society close by me and they keep buying new gear! They're probably rich so they can just fly anywhere in the world that has clear skies! Rant over...I need a beer...
That's pretty typical...

I'm dealing with the same thing here. Long range (10 days) is showing clouds for me also.

But what you are doing is great! Do the best you can to get everything working ahead of time.

What capture software are you planning on using?

Also be sure to play with some of the 'Challenges' viewforum.php?f=107 to figure out processing you images.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

First off, thanks for that link Gordon. That'll help me a lot! As far as capture software, it's a toss up between NINA and Backyard EOS. I'm going to try both and see what works best for me. I also have Stellarium and GSS as well.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut

Bill
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Razz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:42 pm First off, thanks for that link Gordon. That'll help me a lot! As far as capture software, it's a toss up between NINA and Backyard EOS. I'm going to try both and see what works best for me. I also have Stellarium and GSS as well.
Your welcome.

I use NINA for deepsky stuff and Sharpcap for solar and planetary imaging. Both do a great job.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Gordon wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:33 pm
Razz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:42 pm First off, thanks for that link Gordon. That'll help me a lot! As far as capture software, it's a toss up between NINA and Backyard EOS. I'm going to try both and see what works best for me. I also have Stellarium and GSS as well.
Your welcome.

I use NINA for deepsky stuff and Sharpcap for solar and planetary imaging. Both do a great job.
Thanks. I'll look into Sharpcap.

Bill
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Maybe if we all join The Cloud Appreciation Society it might help lol
https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Ylem wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:17 pm Maybe if we all join The Cloud Appreciation Society it might help lol
https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/
Hmmm, you might be on to something... :lol:

Bill
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I hope that you get a chance to get out soon Bill.

Try to take things slowly and take baby steps.
You might get an image right off the bat, but if not, just try to conquer one thing at a time.
I remember one night I had a great time just learning how to drift align. Another night, my only goal was to get Sharpcap PA working ( I use N.I.N.A. now).
Above all, have fun and enjoy it!
Once you get used to running all of your equipment and software, you will be amazed at how cool the whole process is. We live in a great time for astrophotography!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:13 pm I hope that you get a chance to get out soon Bill.

You might get an image right off the bat, but if not, just try to conquer one thing at a time.
I remember one night I had a great time just learning how to drift align. Another night, my only goal was to get Sharpcap PA working ( I use N.I.N.A. now).
Once you get used to running all of your equipment and software, you will be amazed at how cool the whole process is. We live in a great time for astrophotography!
Thanks Jim. I'm definitely taking it slow. This is something I really want to learn. I fully expect to have issues when I do get outside. No matter how much indoor practice I do, it's nothing like actually doing it. There are things I can only learn by trial and error and I'm prepared for that. Clearoutside is predicting clear skies for me on Sunday night. Hopefully I can get out there and start this adventure.

Bill
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Razz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 am
Juno16 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:13 pm I hope that you get a chance to get out soon Bill.

Thanks Jim. I'm definitely taking it slow. This is something I really want to learn. I fully expect to have issues when I do get outside. No matter how much indoor practice I do, it's nothing like actually doing it. There are things I can only learn by trial and error and I'm prepared for that. Clearoutside is predicting clear skies for me on Sunday night. Hopefully I can get out there and start this adventure.

I hope so too! I am really looking forward to your first light!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Razz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:57 pm I'm lacking the one thing that even Amazon doesn't sell...CLEAR SKIES!
Wrong vendor ... :evil:

:lol:
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hmm, an international problem - the UK drunkely fools aound with clouds until the full moon appraches. Us Brits are found of talking about the weather and imagers even more so. Clear skies are rare and precious things.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I can't wait to see your photos.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: