I dont know how but I saw detail and structure in orion nebula with my tiny telescope!

Let's see your reports!
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I dont know how but I saw detail and structure in orion nebula with my tiny telescope!

Post by realflow100 »

Ive got a tiny telescope (svbony sv503 70mm F6 ED)
in bortle 7-8. nearly 3/4 full moon
along with being in bortle 7-8 and tons of firework smoke polluting the air.

And somehow i can detect visible structure details in orion nebula!
Its not until I get to about 40x when orion nebula really starts popping out and showing structure in the core. trapez split with absolute effortless ease. 4 very spaced out and super fine sharp point stars.
The main central dark dust piller is very obvious
Theres faint but detectable structure all within the bright core of orion nebula. with darker outline of the darker dust along the borders of the core
Does not disappear with direct vision too much. Somewhat visible with direct vision. but looks decent with averted vision.
Almost a photographic view!
no filters used either (Tried a UHC O3 and HB some. didnt do anything for me. unfiltered was better)

The wings are very faint in averted vision. but detectable!
Possible hint of m43 detectable. but not sure. could be imagination

I could even crank up the magnification ALL THE WAY as high as I could. maxing out the theoretical magnification. easily 140-200x range. and orion nebula still looked good.
About same amount of structure visible. so no gain in details. Just bigger and more comfortable to look at.
Around 40-140x was probably ideal Maybe 70x was even decent too.

The stars were very razor sharp with only a faint ring iaround each star when in perfet focus.

heres a very rough image of approximately what I could see in orions core
Its VERY dim compared to this image. details more difficult to pick out than this. This is just the approximate amount of visible structure combining direct and averted vision together., Can't simulate that with a picture.
The stars are also 1000 times sharper than the image too. so ignore the stars dont pay attention to the stars.

Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I dont know how but I saw detail and structure in orion nebula with my tiny telescope!

Post by Makuser »

Hi RF. A very nice observing report using your svbony sv503 70mm F6 ED telescope. And despite your high Bortle scale skies and then compounded by the fireworks smoke, you really showed what can be seen even in a small telescope. Thanks for your interesting read report RF and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I dont know how but I saw detail and structure in orion nebula with my tiny telescope!

Post by messier 111 »

fine observation and pic , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Very nice report !
I’m down in Myrtle Beach and the last few nights I could see the cloud and the trapezium is very distinct !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Well done RF! Orion Nebula is a very rewarding object. It shows well under light polluted skies even without filters, and even a small scope can resolve good level of details.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

It took many years before I got the right setup to even have a chance of observing structure and detail in orion nebula.
If I can see this amount of detail with my 70mm telescope.
Would orion look like a photograph in a 15-20 inch telescope. barely fitting in view with the largest exit pupil widest 100 degree eyepiece possible.
Or possibly even better than a photo?
if I can already pick out details nearly matching a 1-2 second exposure image with my tiny scope in heavy light pollution.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I can't tell about 15-20 inch scope, but my 8" SCT produces enough intricate details to spend hours looking at them. Photos provide more colors, but IMO nothing beats the real view.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats on the views realflow. You are making good use of a smaller but still capable scope, and for your efforts you win the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Sounds like a very successful session! Certainly VROD worthy! Congrats!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Great report and result - well done.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I wouldn't underestimate what a small scope can do, even more so if you can get out to darker skies.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I think its partly the very high end optics and ED element giving me some help in detecting faint contrast features. very sharp image. super super sharp and detailed compared to any of my previous telescopes. the contrast is unmatched
The atmosphere was also very calm at the time too. airy disks were calm and still. easy to focus on.
also combined with I flocked the scope VERY well. fully and thoroughly flocked everywhere I could. so when I look through the focuser all I see is a black void outside the objective with no reflections off anything

I even blackened the focuser (I'm out of flocking material otherwise I would flock the focuser too.) with a bbq lighter to add a dark carbon coating to the surface (really made a huge difference)
Theres a couple shiny parts in the lens I can't fix
(between lens elements. and directly in front/behind each element the surface is too smooth and so shows a bit of shinyness) I can't fix that which is a shame. The retaining ring is glued so theres no removing them without expensive custom fabricated machinery to hold it and remove it without damaging anything.

dew shield is fully flocked
As well as I also made a long flocked cardboard tube cut similar shape as the end of a hypodermic needle. so I can rotate it around to block any source of glare or streetlighting.

I wish I could go out to a darker location but i really have no way to travel. no public transportation. no nothing.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

You did a good job blackening all those shiny parts. It helps enhancing contrasts!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Yeah I really want to push it to the limit.
Get a super deep flocked dew shield extension (Like ABSOLUTELY ludicrously long. at least a whole entire foot added with the one it has)
Combined with my adjustable streetlight blocker cardboard thing at the same time.
All the darkening!

Any idea where I could get some kind of attachment or super extended long dew shield of some kind?
Also looking to get more flocking fabric stuff. LOTS more. I ran out quicker than I thought I would. I want like a 15 foot roll of the stuff at least.
Last edited by realflow100 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

You do not want to make the dewshield longer than 3x the diameter of the objective lens. 2.5x the diameter is usually best
Any longer and you will vingette the FOV
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I thought its fine as long as its wide enough at the end. Like a cone shape?
Thats what I did with the cardboard thing. and it seemed to work fine. when looking through the focuser I dont see any portion of the cardboard and its about 20 inches long
also looking from the front it doesnt cut off any of the objective from reaching the sensor when I go to the edges I can see every portion of the sensor from the far edges of the objective. I made it with somewhat of a "cone" shape so that its wider at the end slightly.

The one my scope has from the factory is only about 2.5 inches sticking out of the front surface of the lens. Thats waaaay shorter than ideal. barely does anything by itself. no wonder my flocked cardboard roll extension is so effective at darkening the background and blocking glare.

Maybe even one thats oversized with internal baffles placed inside. That way no stray light can make it to the objective. even on the walls of the dew shield. will stay fully black.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8