Is this ruined?

Discussion of optical systems and their characteristics.
Frazman United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Is this ruined?

Post by Frazman »

304DE053-3BFB-49F6-BF60-E91408E318C6.jpeg
Years ago I found this 102/600 lens for sale and bought it for a project scope, cutting down a 102/1000 tube to make a shorter, faster ‘scope.

When my health went south I packed up all my toys and this week started unpacking things. Looks like I did not do a very good job protecting this one.

Any hope for it, and how would I go about making it “right”? It was nothing exceptional but gave decent views and I hate waste.
Thanks
Fractor Head, Bino Buff
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Is this ruined?

Post by Bigzmey »

Are those spots on the inside?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Earth Ambassador

Post by Frazman »

Yes, they are.
Fractor Head, Bino Buff
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Depending on the design there might be a way to pool the lens cell out. Then you can clean the internal lens surface. There are a few members here with experience in taking refractors apart. They may give you pointers if you provide model details
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

What make is the refractor and is it a doublet?

I am not seeing anything in the image that looks like fungus so likely just condensation

If it is a doublet there should not be to much holding the lens in place.
If you can get it apart you can give the lens a good bath (soak) in distilled water and a bit of dish liquid.
A gentle scrub should clean it up fairly well.

I had a lens set that was so filthy I had to let it soak for almost 4 days before everything came off and it still puts up good views now.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Earth Ambassador

Post by Frazman »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:32 am What make is the refractor and is it a doublet?

I am not seeing anything in the image that looks like fungus so likely just condensation

If it is a doublet there should not be to much holding the lens in place.
If you can get it apart you can give the lens a good bath (soak) in distilled water and a bit of dish liquid.
A gentle scrub should clean it up fairly well.

I had a lens set that was so filthy I had to let it soak for almost 4 days before everything came off and it still puts up good views now.
The original manufacturer of the scope was not given, the previous owner needed/wanted the focuser and sold off the lens (if I recall correctly he said the donor scope was made in Japan but I have nothing to verify that statement).

It is a doublet. After my session last night I pulled this scope out and it looks fairly easy to get apart. I’ll give the soak a go and while I have it down go through everything.

Thanks, I’ll let everyone know how it goes in a few days.
Fractor Head, Bino Buff
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Just remember which way the lens fits together, nothing worse than having to take it apart to flip a element :D
(from experience) :oops:

Since you will have it apart, now would be a good time for upgrades.
Blacken lens edges, possibly re-spray the tube inside and/ or outside...
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Emphasis on what Gabrielle said. That should be easy to clean as well. I did the same thing with a 60mm scope I made from an old Tasco objective and a cut-down 60mm Celestron tube.

I painted the inside of the tube flat black, and used a Sharpie to blacken the lens edges. For what it is, it really works well. Gabrielle is right too with the lens order, make it easy on yourself! :lol:

In this, the crown is to the left and the flint is to the right; picture the scope to the right of the flint; the order in which they came out of the lens cell. Easy peasy!
Image1.jpg
Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Earth Ambassador

Post by Frazman »

The cleansing went well, soaked most of an eight hour day, carefully rinsed and dried. Painted the inside of the tube flat black (there were shiny silver colored screws from the prior conversion efforts.
My sharpie was pretty well dried up, I’ll have to grab another next time I am out and catch the lens edges.

Good (or better), glass is telling, isn’t it? The little 72 ed II blew this one away. Makes me hesitant to pull out my venerable little ST 80. It also makes me fear for my wallet as I am now hearing a 102 ED calling softly.

Other than the ED glass being better I did get pretty decent views with the exception of mild 4-point diffraction spikes on brighter stars. I cannot remember if they were there before or not.

I will be looking into pinched lenses, reflections off anything inside the tube and my eyesight. I wear glasses but I view without them which may be the culprit?

Anyway thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated and I’ll keep on keeping on puzzling through this one.
Fractor Head, Bino Buff
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Put your glasses on and look at the star images. If the spikes disappear, you probably have enough astigmatism to require correction with glasses.
If the spikes don't disappear, look for a pinched lens.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Frazman »

Weather has been sporadic and on the somewhat clear nights Luna has been in the way.

The one night I was able to get out just a short while I saw the spikes with and without eyeglasses.

I adjusted the lens’ and hope to get in a session tonight.
Last night was a beauty with very dark, clear skies but I did not get home until very late and did not have time to cool the scope for a good try. ‘Scopes been on the deck for an hour and I plan on getting out by eight. Hoping all goes well with the scope, I’m unreasonably attached to it because it was my first conversion project.
Clear sky’s to all!
Fractor Head, Bino Buff