Christmas Eve Planets and Asteroids

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Christmas Eve Planets and Asteroids

Post by Bigzmey »

12/24/2022

Equipment: Celestron 8” SCT and Stellarvue 102ED on iOptron AZMP mount; EPs: Pentax XWs set.

Our son with girlfriend supposed to spend the Christmas with us, but she caught a bug and the plans were canceled at the very last moment. On a positive side we had a warm spell with clear skies and dry air. Thus, for the first time in my life I was observing on the Christmas Eve and loved it! :) For 24 years we have spent Christmas Eve feeding kids, getting them to bed and pooling and wrapping the presents. We may miss it eventually, but not this time. Slow relaxing holiday was a welcome change.

I have set the scopes in the backyard around 16:00, had a nice dinner with my wife (between the two of us it will take a while to finish all the holiday food) and stepped out around 18:30. The sky was of better quality. AZMP mount has used Jupiter for the alignment, so it was my first target for the evening.

JJUPITER
The seeing was good and Jupiter view in 8” SCT nice and detailed. All four major belts were well defined as well as North and South Polar regions. Multiple festoons were resolved in the North and South Equatorial Belts and there was also a dark oval storm in the North Equatorial Belt. What immediately caught my attention is how sharp and well defined were light zones between the belts. They were of bright white color, at high contrast with shaded polar regions and dark belts. While the view was very detailed, it was monochrome, no hint of color. I have tried Pentax XW 20mm (102x), 14mm (145x) and 10mm (203x) in 8” SCT, and all delivered nice views.

I thought the views in SCT were great (and they were) but when I have switched to SV102ED frac with XW 5mm (143x) and 3.5mm (204x) I was surprised how sharper and higher contrast the image was. I see often on forums people bushing SCTs, but I can tell that mine 8” is very nicely configured and performs well to the specs. It is just in the range of powers I typically used for planets (100-200x) larger aperture of the SCT is disadvantageous, since it just intensifies Jupiter’s glare, and combined with relatively large central obstruction produces somewhat washed-out views.

ASTEROIDS
I love hunting asteroids. Of cause they look just like faint stars (hence the name), but to me seeing a small rock hundreds of millions miles away is mind-blowing. They also offer a good challenge. Depending on the position in the orbit their apparent magnitude can change significantly. So, one need to wait for a window of opportunity. Even then most of them are faint and require good quality sky, sharp optics, and trained eye to positively ID in the star field. SkySafari Pro app is the best tool since it accurately tracks positions of thousands of asteroids and shows all stars down to mag 15. I typically wait 2-3 months between asteroid sessions, which gives enough time for a new batch to move in. The table below sums up my haul for the evening. For asteroids hunting 8" SCT has provided definite advantage over 4" ED frac and even 7" Mak I have used in the past. Here like with DSOs aperture is the queen.
ast 122422.jpg
MARS
Can’t finish the session without looking at Mars. Was not happy with the view produced by 8” SCT – too much glare. SV102ED has produced much sharper and higher contrast image. I have played with filters and #23 Red filter and Baader Contrast Booster filter have highlighted low albedo features a bit better compared to no-filters. Looking at Sky & Telescope Mars Profiler I have resolved Mare Acidalium and Arcadia in the Northern hemisphere, and Mare Erythraeum with Aurorae Sinus and Margaritifer Sinus in the Southern hemisphere.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Christmas Eve Planets and Asteroids

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session, Andrey! I have never recorded a Christmas Eve observing session, for all the reasons you included. I did have sessions on Christmas Day and New Years Eve in 2004!! Comet Machholz was the major item that year.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Sounds likes a great evening Andrey!

My C8 also performs great on Jupiter and Saturn, I haven't caught any astroids yet.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Dave and Jeff!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Nice report! Sounds like you had a good night. I can certainly understand the attraction of viewing asteroids but it'll be awhile before I actually try that.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Shame that you missed family visiting though.
It’s nice that the temps were pleasant. My usually warmish Christmas was quite cold this year.
Cold, but crystal clear and moonless skies.
Couldn’t get out for the same reasons that you usually don’t get out on the holidays. Works out either way, but it would have been better if it wasn’t clear!

Thanks for the very nice report!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Andrey and some excellent views of both planets and asteroids. It's interesting also that the 4" refractor offers more satisfactory views of Jupiter and Mars than the C8. Congrats on obtaining the VROD for the day (12/29/2022)!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Andrey. A nice Christmas Eve observing report from you home location. Although you missed the family get together (there is a LOT of flu going around this week) you still came away with a very nice observing session. You grabbed a lot of nice objects and asteroids (which are quite difficult to locate) and view. Thanks for your splendid and fun read report Andrey and congratulations on receiving another much deserved TSS VROD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Bill, Jim, Michael and Marshall! And thanks for the VROD, always an honor!

That flu is definitely going around and affecting holidays plans. Well, at least the weather was nice. For us it was not white but hot Christmas with temps during the day reaching 86F (30C) and 1% humidity. I went out to observe on Christmas Day to. :) Report to follow.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great observations!
I like your descriptions of Jupiter and Mars. I agree on the use of a Baader Contrast Booster on Mars. It takes away a lot of scattering too. Quite useful on SCT's and Maks. The behavior of my former C8 compared to my 102mm ED Vixen is quite similar to your findings. Personally, for planetary views at the magnifications you mentioned, I prefer a refractor.
Congratulations on your VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

John Baars wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:05 pm Great observations!
I like your descriptions of Jupiter and Mars. I agree on the use of a Baader Contrast Booster on Mars. It takes away a lot of scattering too. Quite useful on SCT's and Maks. The behavior of my former C8 compared to my 102mm ED Vixen is quite similar to your findings. Personally, for planetary views at the magnifications you mentioned, I prefer a refractor.
Congratulations on your VROD!
Thanks John! I am a big fan of SCTs, but after numerous side by side runs I have to admit that on planets I prefer APO/ED refractors and Maks.

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:49 pm Great session, Andrey! I have never recorded a Christmas Eve observing session, for all the reasons you included. I did have sessions on Christmas Day and New Years Eve in 2004!! Comet Machholz was the major item that year.

Dave
And congrats on your well deserved VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein