Pixinsight ChanelCombine problem

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
1jimalexander United States of America
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Pixinsight ChanelCombine problem

Post by 1jimalexander »

This is a question for the Pixinsight forum but I can't get logged in.
I've got Ha, Sii, and Oiii calibrated ,aligned, and integrated files.
When I do ChanelCombine the resultant picture has no colors.
Because of some alignment issues (haven't cropped yet) I can see red along one of the edges.
When I stretch and use curves, the entire frame changes uniformly but everything in the frame changes rather than the individual channels.

I tried it without calibrating with the same results.
I took the filter wheel apart and everything is working as it should.
I'm totally Baffled.
    Scope: Skywatcher Esprit 150 Super APO, Celestron C11 Edge HD
    Mount: Celestron CGX-L, Ioptron CEM70G
    Cameras: ATIK 11000 mono ,ASI224MC, ASI533MC
    Filtering: ATIK EFW2 Astronomik LRGB, Ha, s2, O3 (12nm) Optolong L-eXtreme
    Guiding: Orion mini 50 mm, Orion Starshoot, PHD ,Primalucelab 60mm scope, Celestron OAG with ASI290mm mini
    Polar align: PoleMaster, Ipolar
    Software:SGP, Starry Night Pro, PS, PI
    ASIAIR Plus
    Ultimate PowerBox v2
    KathyNS Canada
    Co-Administrator
    Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Pixinsight ChanelCombine problem

Post by KathyNS »

Just to be clear, I assume you are working with mono images and are trying to assign the stack from each filter to a different channel.

It is hard to see how combining three different narrowband channels could produce a monochrome image. I could see it if you were talking about R,G and B filters and the subject happened to be white. But not with narrowband. Are you sure you didn't process a single channel three times?

Could the combined image have gotten designated as monochrome somehow?

With stretching and curves, are you selecting a single channel to work on? If you are and id doesn't alter the hue, then you somehow have a monochrome image. I don't know how that could happen accidentally.
    DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
    yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

one culprit in my case is that my filter wheel was jammed but the software made 3 stacks ,ha-oiii-sii but all the images where my lum filter ..

double check if you have any mechanical problems with ayour filter wheel if you are using one , i don't have a good guide atm for pixinsight

typicaly normal procedure to use will be under process/all process use staralighnment and then lrgb combination green = ha = red=sii = oiii and lum you can use any you preferr but ha is typical to have more signal .
    scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
    cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
    mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
    filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
    extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

1jimalexander United States of America
    Moon Ambassador

Post by 1jimalexander »

Thank you for your responses.
    Don't know how I missed it during capturing but apparently my filter stayed on Ha the whole night.
    Now I have lots of Ha to use with newly captured Sii and Oiii.
    In the log file, SGP claims to be successfully changing filters.
    I had opened the wheel and confirmed that it was actually rotating but, at the time of the captures it apparently wasn't.
    Ha was the first filter in the sequence. I might have lost a connection during that event.
    If I had been watching the Filter Wheel window it probably would have shown the discrepancy.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
      Scope: Skywatcher Esprit 150 Super APO, Celestron C11 Edge HD
      Mount: Celestron CGX-L, Ioptron CEM70G
      Cameras: ATIK 11000 mono ,ASI224MC, ASI533MC
      Filtering: ATIK EFW2 Astronomik LRGB, Ha, s2, O3 (12nm) Optolong L-eXtreme
      Guiding: Orion mini 50 mm, Orion Starshoot, PHD ,Primalucelab 60mm scope, Celestron OAG with ASI290mm mini
      Polar align: PoleMaster, Ipolar
      Software:SGP, Starry Night Pro, PS, PI
      ASIAIR Plus
      Ultimate PowerBox v2
      XCalRocketMan United States of America
      Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

1jimalexander wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:26 pm
      In the log file, SGP claims to be successfully changing filters.
      I had opened the wheel and confirmed that it was actually rotating but, at the time of the captures it apparently wasn't.
      Ha was the first filter in the sequence. I might have lost a connection during that event.
      Yes, a lost connection would account for what you experienced. SGP (and in my case, NINA) may report the filter change even though the wheel doesn't move because it only just sends out the command to do so. Sometimes I need to disconnect my camera and since the FW is attached to the USB hub on the camera I need to disconnect and then reconnect the FW to make sure the connection is still active.
      Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
      Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
      Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
      Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
      Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
      Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
      Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
      Blog at: SkyAndRockets