Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Dec 16th Stacked while light image

Post by Baurice »

Create post
Philip Pugh
This nearly never happened. Even in southern England, the late autumn and early winter sun never gets very far above the horizon. I managed to line it up from our back garden, only to find that half of the solar disc was hidden behind the roof of a nearby house. I had to cart the assembled Maksutov, camera and remote shutter control to the front of the house, hurting my back in the progress. In truth, as I’m not good sat lying, I nearly gave up when it look about 10 minutes to get my first image. That caused its own problems, as the Sun was less than 3 weeks away from its closest approach to Earth, and almost completely filled the field of view.

Fortunately, the sunspots on view in the camera viewfinder made all the hassle worthwhile, especially as the weather forecast for the forseeable future was cloud and rain, suggesting that I had probably a long wait for a similar shot.

I used my normal settings of 1540mm focal length and ISO 100 but used a slightly longer exposure of 1/400 second (instead of the usual 1/500 second), as there was some low haze in the otherwise clear blue sky.

It was a proof of concept, too, as I used Autostakkert to stack 20 full disc shots.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dec 16th Stacked while light image

Post by Makuser »

Hi Philip. A very nice solar sunspots image in white light using your Mak-Cass telescope. And despite the changing calculus of decisions facing you, you still came away with a nice capture with Autostakkert. Lots of active regions and plages are visible. Thanks for sharing this latest work with us Philip and keep them coming.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dec 16th Stacked while light image

Post by messier 111 »

Nice take, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: