Error message on handset, off by 45 degrees

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Error message on handset, off by 45 degrees

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there

I am really having bad problems setting up my Mount and I hope someone can help me. what it is, I do a polar alignment, put in the date and time, location is correct. I do a three-star alignment but the scope is off from the star by far, and when I finish, it comes up with an error message saying that I’m off by 45 degrees check the time and location but they're correct, then when it’s not working I move my scope to say M45 while it’s tracking and this does usually work but never last night. The object just kept moving along the screen leaving star trails my Mount. Tracking is set to sidereal, I just thought I would let you know.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Error message on handset of by 45 degrees

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi also when i put the polar star in right place and do a three star alignment and fail, i start again and put the scope in the home position but when i look in polar scope the north star seems to have moved considerably downwards and i don't know why?

thanks

Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Error message on handset, off by 45 degrees

Post by JayTee »

Let's throw in some obvious suggestions: Is Daylight savings set correctly? Do you use 12 or 24 hour time display? if 12 hour, make sure that AM/PM is set correctly. When you do your 3-star alignment, ensure you align on the star that the mount expects. Like mistaking Algol for Mirfak. Try a one-star alignment and see what happens. Let us know how these obvious suggestions work out.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

JayTee wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:59 pm Let's throw in some obvious suggestions: Is Daylight savings set correctly? Do you use 12 or 24 hour time display? if 12 hour, make sure that AM/PM is set correctly. When you do your 3-star alignment, ensure you align on the star that the mount expects. Like mistaking Algol for Mirfak. Try a one-star alignment and see what happens. Let us know how these obvious suggestions work out.

Cheers,
hi JTee

Yes I'm doing all them correctly it still happens.

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Error message on handset of by 45 degrees

Post by Jockinireland »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:22 pm Hi also when i put the polar star in right place and do a three star alignment and fail, i start again and put the scope in the home position but when i look in polar scope the north star seems to have moved considerably downwards and i don't know why?

thanks

Rhoda
Polaris will move in a circle in the polar scope fov over the course of an evening. So maybe that's the movement you are seeing?

But if it's way off, and not just moved in its circle around the actual pole then that's an issue we can look at.

When you do this are you manually putting it back to home, i.e are you unlocking the levers and moving the scope by hand. . If you do it this way (not by telling the scope to go home by itself using the motors) then it means that the mount / scope is moving after PA. This could be lots of things, sinking into soft wet grass, something loose (like the connection of the mount to the tripod or the polar scope in the mount),, one of the tripod legs being very slightly loose and the leg slowly getting shorter. Check all this
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:38 am
JayTee wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:59 pm Let's throw in some obvious suggestions: Is Daylight savings set correctly? Do you use 12 or 24 hour time display? if 12 hour, make sure that AM/PM is set correctly. When you do your 3-star alignment, ensure you align on the star that the mount expects. Like mistaking Algol for Mirfak. Try a one-star alignment and see what happens. Let us know how these obvious suggestions work out.

Cheers,
hi JTee

Yes I'm doing all them correctly it still happens.
Have you double then triple checked these by going to the settings in the hand set?. In the past I have assumed that because I set them previously they were all still right but the handset had somehow reset and they were now wrong.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

I think I know w what the problem is above the polariscope there's a little knob that turns left and right near R.A and it is very tight I have been told it needs to be loose I can remember tightening it this may solve my problem I hope lol but thank you David for your help I will let you know how I get on I hope your getting ready for Christmas David.

Rhoda