EQ6-R Pro polar scope question

Discuss Skywatcher mounts.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

EQ6-R Pro polar scope question

Post by Razz »

Last weekend I spent some time setting up software for this mount. I did it inside so I could work out connection issues that I knew I would have. I set up Stellarium, GSS and NINA. NINA just for possible future use. Anyway, tonight was a clear night so I set up outside for a test run. The first thing I noticed was when I tried to polar align. I moved the Dec axis 90 degrees so I could use the polar scope. When I looked thru the polar scope, the reticule was 90 degrees off to the right. 3 o'clock was the 6 o'clock position and so on. Why is that? Is that normal? Did I do something wrong? It's not a big deal, I can do clock positions, like most people can, without the numbers but will it matter? Do I set Polaris by just the circle or do the 3, 6, 9 really matter. In other words, for example Polaris is at the 5 o'clock position, do I put it at that position where it should go or should I put it where the numbers tell me, in this example the 8 o'clock position? On a side note, Stellarium is messed up on my laptop as well. I'm looking at Jupiter and Stellarium says I'm close to looking at the moon. The moon was nowhere to be seen. I look at Stellarium on my PC and it's accurate. For some reason the laptop is not giving live views. And yes, my settings are correct. I'll just reinstall it to see if that helps.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: EQ6-R Pro polar scope question

Post by KathyNS »

The position of the reticle is totally arbitrary. They don't align it with anything at the factory. It is up to you to rotate the RA axis to put 12 o'clock at the top.

If you want to set the position accurately (for example, if you want to do astrophotography), follow these steps:
1. Adust the elevation and azimuth to place Polaris at the dead-centre.
2. Adjust the elevation only to move Polaris from dead centre to the top of the ring.
3. Rotate the mount in RA until the 12 o'clock mark aligns with Polaris.
The reticle is now aligned. Adjust the elevation and azimuth to place Polaris at the correct clock position. You will need an app that tells you the desired clock position of Polaris for any given date and time. Note that this is not the same as hour angle; don't get them confused.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: EQ6-R Pro polar scope question

Post by Razz »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:32 am The position of the reticle is totally arbitrary. They don't align it with anything at the factory. It is up to you to rotate the RA axis to put 12 o'clock at the top.

If you want to set the position accurately (for example, if you want to do astrophotography), follow these steps:
1. Adust the elevation and azimuth to place Polaris at the dead-centre.
2. Adjust the elevation only to move Polaris from dead centre to the top of the ring.
3. Rotate the mount in RA until the 12 o'clock mark aligns with Polaris.
The reticle is now aligned. Adjust the elevation and azimuth to place Polaris at the correct clock position. You will need an app that tells you the desired clock position of Polaris for any given date and time. Note that this is not the same as hour angle; don't get them confused.
Thank you very much for that explanation.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill