Observing Report for 22 November 2022 - taking a second swim with Cetus

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 22 November 2022 - taking a second swim with Cetus

Post by kt4hx »

The second evening came quickly, as they do this time of year. I busied myself during the day with cleaning the continual supply of pine needles out of our rain gutters as they like to pile up and clog the top of the downspouts. Fortunately the house is one story so it’s not difficult, just a chore that must be done a few times a year to ensure good rooftop drainage. I also cleaned up fallen oak leaves that the winds push against the back of the house, sucking them up with a leaf blower/vacuum. The afternoon temps were in the low 50s (F) so it was nice out in the sunlight. I also spent some time going over the results of the previous evening and getting my notes in order and writing that observing report.

Around 1715 hours I began the process of setting up my gear once more: scope and its collimation; table with eyepiece case, atlases, notebook, glasses (both reading and distance), bottle of water; putting up a light screen to block car lights coming from town, two observing chairs – one to sit at the table and the other at the scope since I would be returning to Cetus again and would be able to sit during a goodly portion of my observing. Back in the house to have something to eat, ponder about the coming evening and finally layer up for the cooling air. This time out I would bulk up my layers a little more, plus add toe warmers to my boots. While I was at the kitchen table having some dinner, I was staring out the window at the ridgeline on the eastern side of the valley. We were in the gloaming time of the evening and on display just above the ridgeline were the “Belt of Venus” and the Earth’s shadow. It was a pretty sight, and added to the serenity of the early evening as I was relaxing before heading outside to resume my battle with the sea monster – Cetus. :icon-smile:

The magic hour of 1830 came and out the door I went. I aligned the optical and unity finders to the scope, then to loosen up my eyes, I hit three planets before moving into Cetus. First up was Jupiter, which was only observed with 94x. Of course it was blindingly bright, but its huge disk revealed the main equatorial bands, plus darkening at both poles, plus hints of the south temperate belt. The GRS was on the far side, so it was not seen. The four Galilean moons were strung out to the east Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto; like a king with his minions following along behind!

I next moved to Neptune which lay just over 6° WSW of Jupiter in Aquarius. I quickly star hopping to its field, and I could easily see its mag 7.9 dot in the 8x50 finder. Moving to the scope, with 152x it was a very tiny round disk – or more like a bloated dot. Though my color perception through the eyepiece has dropped off over the years, it did seem like it had a very subtle blue tint. Then again, that could be my own mind working against me, using memories of past observations where I clearly saw the bluish color of Neptune. Its brightest moon, Triton (mag 13.5) was spotted about 12’ to the WSW of the planet.

I next moved over to Aries to pay a quick visit to Uranus. Aiming the scope at Gamma Arietis, I did the star hop thing nearly 15° ESE to locate the field for mag 5.6 planet. Also easily seen in the 8x50 finder, in the scope at 152x it was a little larger bloated dot than was Neptune (as expected). In years past I used to get a slight greenish tint to it, but my eyes being what they are now, I was not picking this up any longer. It just seemed whitish. Its brightest moon Titania (mag 13.8) was also spotted about 30” to its north. A field star nearly the same brightness as Titania lay about the same distance to the moon’s northeast.

Okay, after playing around with planets for a little bit, it was nearly 1900 hours and time to swing the scope back to where I had been the previous evening – Cetus. Specifically back to chart 140 in Uranometria to do some more galaxy hunting in the celestial sea monster’s lair. Aiming the scope at mag 3.4 Eta Ceti (Dheneb), with an arc of four stars (5th to 7th mag) to its northwest, I began my evening’s journey. The air was chilly (about 32° F), the sky dark and filled with stars, perfect solitude for the task at hand.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

NGC 217 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.4, size=2.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.7):
My first target this evening was this lenticular. Easily spotted with 152x, it revealed a small and thin diffuse glow that was somewhat bright and very obvious. Taking a look at 199x its thin disk remained homogeneous and bright. (New)

MCG -2-3-6 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=13.0):
About 58’ northeast of NGC 217 I picked up strong suspicions this very dim and very small rounded dust bunny. It was confirmed using 199x with a possible stellar core glimpsed within. Taking a look at 283x, the stellar core was confirmed, but otherwise the small rounded disk remained dim. (New)

IC 50 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
I scooped up this small round diffuse disk using 152x. Viewed with 199x, I picked up hints of a stellar core at its center, while with 283x this core detail was confirmed. Otherwise it remained dim and small. (New)

NGC 191 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.4’x1.2’, SBr=12.8):
IC 1563 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.8):

A little over 1° northwest of NGC 217, I pinned down this contact pair of galaxies. The combined glow was very diffuse, with the northern portion being brighter (NGC 191), while the southern end (IC 1563) was dimmer. Using 199x, this difference in brightness between the two was much more pronounced, and while they were still in contact visually, the two distinct broadly brighter cores told the real story of two galaxies present in the view. NGC 191 was more rounded, while IC 1563 was more elongated. Combined together they formed a singular larger glow that exhibited uneven brightness across the larger combined halo. As an aside, some sources might list IC 1563 incorrectly as NGC 191A. (New – 2)

NGC 195 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=13.5):
About 14’ southeast of the previous galactic duo, I picked up this barred spiral. With 152x it presented a small and dim slightly flattened oval diffuse glow. I also noticed a very fleeting stellar core in its center. At 199x it was more apparent, but the stellar core remained very intermittent in presence. (New)

MCG -2-2-73 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=13.7):
Next up was this spiral about 24.5’ WSW of NGC 195. Picked up with 152x, it revealed a dim and small homogeneous oval glow. It appeared ghostly and of low surface brightness visually. It was more apparent at 199x, but remained diffuse and dim. (New)

NGC 155 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=13.9):
This lenticular galaxy was found with 152x and appeared as a small and diffuse oval disk, sporting an intermittent stellar core. Using 199x it was more apparent, with the stellar core more obvious. Overall it was easily seen, but seemed to have lower surface brightness. (New)

NGC 135 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=15.1, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=13.3):
Moving on, I hunted this spiral southwest of the mag 9.1 star HD 2869 . Using both 152x and 199x it was sporadically suspected as a very dim and very small diffuse round dust mote. Moving to 283x it was confirmed as a small and fairly dim round homogeneous glow, but it still remained a very weak visual object. (New)

NGC 154 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.7):
Picked up with 152x, I found this elliptical to be a small thick oval that was diffuse and very subtly bright to the eye. At 199x it was more apparent, and its core now appeared stellar intermittently. Afterwards I was surprised it was listed at mag 14.0, as it seemed brighter to my eye than that. That is why I always take listed galaxy magnitudes with at least a small grain of salt. (New)

NGC 178 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.0):
Though I observed this galaxy a couple years ago it was near a couple of other galaxies I wished to target so I stopped by it briefly. At 152x it a small and slightly bright oval glow that seemed to have a lower surface brightness than its numbers might indicate. Regardless it was obvious within the field. This spiral also carries the duplicate identifier of IC 39 due to a second “discovery” that found its way into the Index Catalogue.

NGC 207 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.9’x0.4’, SBr=12.3):
Nearly 9’ southeast of the previous object I snapped up another spiral using 152x. Why I missed it a couple of years ago – I don’t know! Anyway I found it very small and dim, presenting an evenly illuminated thick oval disk. A mag 14.0 field star was noticed just to its southwest. Also viewed with 199x, it remained dim and even diffuse glow. (New)

NGC 187 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.3’x0.5’, SBr=12.5):
Just over 25’ SSW of the last object, I located yet another spiral. With 152x it presented a small and slightly dim diffuse oval glow. It remained similar in appearance at 199x, though it was a little more apparent to the eye. (New)

NGC 349 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.3’x1.2’, SBr=13.3):
Like NGC 178 I also observed this lenticular a couple of years ago. It is part of a small group of six NGC galaxies that more or less encircle the mag 7.2 star HD 6031. The brightest of the group this one was easily seen at 152x as a small and slightly bright homogeneous rounded disk.

NGC 350 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=13.0):
Moving to the other galaxies in this small grouping, my next pick up was this lenticular. At 152x it was a very small and fairly dim out of round glow just east of NGC 349. It revealed a subtle core brightness. With 199x it was a little more apparent but remained dim. (New)

NGC 345 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.2’x0.8’, SBr=13.6):
Almost 9’ southwest of NGC 349 I spotted this small and dim diffuse thick oval glow using 152x. At 199x it remained smooth and even across its dim disk. (New)

NGC 347 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.8, size=0.6’x0.4’, SBr=13.0):
This spiral was merely suspected at 152x as a very dim and small dust mote just a few minutes northwest of NGC 349. Confirmed at 199x, it remained a small and very dim homogeneous oval disk. (New)

NGC 342 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.8’x0.4’, SBr=12.9):
About 11.5’ WSW of the last object I picked up this fairly dim and small smooth thick oval disk. A little more apparent at 199x, it was still a dim and even glow across its dimension. (New)

NGC 340 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.9’x0.4’, SBr=12.3):
Just under 7’ southwest of NGC 342 I next pinned down this spiral using 152x. It presented a dim and fairly small homogeneous oval glow. It was clearly brighter to the eye than NGC 342 within the same field of view. More apparent at 199x, it remained smoothly even across its dim oval disk. (New)

NGC 357 (Cetus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.5’x1.7’, SBr=13.3):
Almost 26’ southeast of the aforementioned star, HD 6031, I easily located this galaxy using 152x. It displayed a very subtly large thick oval disk that was somewhat bright and evenly illuminated. At 199x it was very obvious within the field, and I suspected some subtle core brightness. Taking a quick look at 283x, the core now displayed an intermittent stellar appearance. (New)

NGC 355 (Cetus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=15.3, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=14.0):
This very challenging object is located not quite 4’ WNW of NGC 357. At 152x it was only a suspected fuzzy dust mote in the field just west of NGC 355. Centering this suspected object, I then ran through my steps of 199x and 283x, studying the field closely at each. This was a threshold object, presenting as a very, very faint and fairly small homogeneous oval. It was never held steadily 100% of the time. Rather it would pop in and out of view as conditions shifted slightly. It was a very challenging object indeed. (New)

NGC 356 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.8’x1.2’, SBr=13.1):
About 40’ south of NGC 357, I swept up this spiral. Found with 152x it appeared as a slightly small and dim homogeneous oval disk. It appeared similar at 199x, though it was more apparent in the view. (New)

NGC 329 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.6’x0.6’, SBr=13.1):
NGC 327 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.6’x0.7’, SBr=13.3):
NGC 325 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=1.5’x0.2’, SBr=13.0):
NGC 321 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.8, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=12.8):

Almost 2° northwest of NGC 357, using 152x, I located this grouping of four galaxies in a field about 6’ in diameter. NGC 329 lay northeast of the other three which formed a northwest to southeastern string. NGC 329 and NGC 327 (about 4’ to the SSW) were of very similar visual size and brightness. Both presented elongated oval disks of very similar visual brightness and size. Both were homogeneous to the eye as well. They both remained a little dim and very diffuse at both 199x and 283x as well. NGC 325 was only 2’ northwest of NGC 327 and at 152x displayed a very dim and small thin sliver of diffuse light at 152x. It remained smoothly illuminated at 199x and 283x, continuing to be small and fairly dim to the eye. Finally, NGC 321, located about 2.5’ northwest of NGC 325, was woefully dim at 152x. It presented a very small and pretty dim round little dusty mote. Viewing with 199x and 283x, it remained fairly dim and small, presenting a round diffuse disk. All in all a nice and challenging little group. (New – 4)

NGC 268 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.6’x1.1’, SBr=13.5):
Onward I moved in search of my next object. Picked up with 152x, this barred spiral appeared as a slightly small oval glow of lower surface brightness. Evenly illuminated across its disk, even at 199x, it remained slightly dim and smooth. (New)

NGC 286 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=14.0):
NGC 283 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.6’x1.0’, SBr=14.3):
NGC 284 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=12.8):
NGC 285 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.7, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):

I now located the field of another clump of four galaxies. Like the previous one, this group also resided in a field about 6’ in diameter. NGCs 283, 284 and 285 formed a west to east line, with NGC 286 sitting about 3’ north of NGC 285. The group formed a right triangle pattern. First up was the one apart from the main line of three, NGC 286. At 152x it appeared as a small and thin oval that was smoothly illuminated across its disk. Also viewed at 199x and 283x it remained a dim homogeneous elongated oval. Next up was NGC 283 at the western end of the line of three and just over 5’ southwest of NGC 286. It was of similar brightness, also being a dim and small thin homogeneous oval disk. It remained that way at both 199x and 283x. Over 2.5’ east of NGC 283 was NGC 284. At 152x it presented a fairly dim and fairly small round diffuse disk. Its appearance remained consistent at both 199x and 283x. Finally, NGC 285 nearly 1.5’ east of NGC 284, appeared as a very dim and fairly small round smooth glow at 152x. The dimmest of the four, it was the only one to exhibit any core brightness. At 199x and 283x while the galaxy remained dim and diffuse, an intermittent stellar core was glimpsed. Another fun little group, that while dim, was clearly seen at all magnification steps used. (New – 4)

I was now headed into the home stretch. Checking the time showed me it was just past 2200 hours and I’d been at this a solid three hours. So I star hopped from the previous field about 4° to the southeast to the mag 7.2 star HD 6616 to locate my last galaxies for the evening.

IC 78 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.4):
IC 79 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.2, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=13.4):
IC 82 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=12.9):

Just over 40.5’ southeast of HD 6616 I located the field for three galaxies. They lay in a generally north-south flow about 10.5’ long. All three were picked up at 152x in the same field of view. The northernmost was IC 78, which appeared as a dim and small oval glow. Generally homogeneous in appearance, it remained dim and diffuse at 199x. IC 79 was just over 6’ south of IC 79, and at 152x it was a very dim and pretty small out of round diffuse disk. It remained very dim at 199x, but clearly seen in the field. The southernmost star island in this group was IC 82. It was just 5’ southeast of IC 79, and at 152x it was fairly dim and small. It displayed a round homogeneous envelope, which remained the same when viewed at 199x. None were bright by any means, but all were clearly seen with direct vision. These three galaxies appear to be members of the cluster Abell 151, based on recessional velocities. (New - 3)

IC 80 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
Just 26’ north of IC 78, I located my final galaxies of the evening. First was this lenticular which is actually a double system comprised of PGCs 4071 and 4072. Visually it was fairly faint and slightly elongated. Observed with 152x through 283x, it was homogeneous in appearance. I picked up the curious detail that indicated to me that this was a double system before I was certain that it was. The two galaxies were attached and I could not resolve them as two separated objects. However, I suspected that there were two systems by the visual appearance.. The northern portion of the whole visible envelope was larger than was the southern portion. There seemed to be two distinct areas of brightness, sharing a common halo.I could tell they were both rounded in shape, but joined, sort of like a two piece snowman. Therefore this caused me to suspect I was looking at a double system, which was confirmed after the fact. (New - 2)

IC 77 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.9, size=0.5’x0.4’, SBr=12.9):
Finally, this elliptical was a woefully dim and very difficult object. Using magnifications up to 283x I could never lock it down 100% of the time. Rather it would drift into view at times about 2’ southwest of IC 80. This one was a tough get for my last object of the evening. This galaxy, coupled with the IC 80 dual system appear to outlying members of the distant galaxy cluster Abell 166 based on recessional velocities. This cluster overlaps with Abell 151, but is a more distant cluster that resides in the background behind Abell 151. IC 77 and IC 80 lie at distances of about 760 MLY and 695 MLY respectively. (New)

Okay folks, with that run of dim IC galaxies, my time outside in the chilly mountain air was done. After over three hours outside I was more than happy to get inside to take a hot shower, have something hot to eat, and then ponder on the outing. That only lasted so long as I was tired and ready to get some rest. Thanks for coming along on this second night of galaxy pursuit in Cetus. I certainly hope you all get a chance real soon to get out under a night sky and engage the visible universe, in whatever way you enjoy most. :icon-smile:

(Link to 1st evening's report - viewtopic.php?p=225122#p225122)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 22 November 2022 - taking a second swim with Cetus

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your report of a swim with Cetus. It looks more like a deep dive Cetus took with you. As deep as 15.3 Very nice, chapeau!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Amazing report Alan!

What is really amazing to me is that you can find so many targets in a small (relatively) area of sky. A big scope, nice skies, and a seriously deep experience level. Well done and very well presented!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:15 am Thanks for your report of a swim with Cetus. It looks more like a deep dive Cetus took with you. As deep as 15.3 Very nice, chapeau!

Thank you John. Yes, deep dive would work for sure. I was quite pleased with the results. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:20 pm Amazing report Alan!

What is really amazing to me is that you can find so many targets in a small (relatively) area of sky. A big scope, nice skies, and a seriously deep experience level. Well done and very well presented!

Thank you kindly Jim. Cetus is stuffed to the brim with galaxies, the majority kind of dim of course. But what I observed over two nights on chart 140 of Uranometria is but a portion of the total number of galaxies plotted on that single two-page chart in the atlas. All in all it went very well and I was quite happy with the results. I appreciate your comments my friend, and if you haven't seen the previous night's report, you can check it out here:

viewtopic.php?t=28228
Alan

Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Excellent report! Like Juno16, I am also amazed at how many targets there are in Cetus. Thanks for sharing!
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Well done, Alan! Your report takes your breathe away!! Certainly a winner...as in VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Razz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:43 pm Excellent report! Like Juno16, I am also amazed at how many targets there are in Cetus. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Bill. Cetus is an ultra-rich constellations when it comes to galaxies. There are around 550 that are listed in the NGC and IC catalogues (including Messier 77), with countless others that fall into other catalogues. Of course the majority are quite dim. That said, about 145 alone are of magnitude 13.0 or brighter. :icon-smile:

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:13 pm Well done, Alan! Your report takes your breathe away!! Certainly a winner...as in VROD!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Very pleased you enjoyed reading of my two night run in Cetus. :icon-smile:
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Here is a DSS image of the IC 80 double system and IC 77. Though the visual impression was significantly dimmer through the eyepiece, I could still discern IC 80 seemingly as a double system looking like a snowman missing its head. :icon-smile:

ic80wide.jpg
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:15 am Thanks for your report of a swim with Cetus. It looks more like a deep dive Cetus took with you. As deep as 15.3 Very nice, chapeau!

Looking through this thread and my notes, I wanted to follow up on your comment about mag 15.3 (NGC 355). While it was certainly dim, I wanted to double check its magnitude. Listed at 15.3, I do take the listed visual magnitudes of dimmer galaxies with at least a modicum of skepticism. So I double checked it using the data within the Sloan Digital Sky Survey database, and calculated the galaxy's visual magnitude. It worked out to 15.1 in this case. While that does not seem like much of a difference, every tenth of a magnitude does make a difference with dimmer diffuse objects that are approaching the visual detection threshold. This of course also elevates its surface brightness slightly as well. I am definitely a "numbers nerd!" :icon-smile:
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

kt4hx wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:50 pm

Looking through this thread and my notes, I wanted to follow up on your comment about mag 15.3 (NGC 355). While it was certainly dim, I wanted to double check its magnitude. Listed at 15.3, I do take the listed visual magnitudes of dimmer galaxies with at least a modicum of skepticism. So I double checked it using the data within the Sloan Digital Sky Survey database, and calculated the galaxy's visual magnitude. It worked out to 15.1 in this case. While that does not seem like much of a difference, every tenth of a magnitude does make a difference with dimmer diffuse objects that are approaching the visual detection threshold. This of course also elevates its surface brightness slightly as well. I am definitely a "numbers nerd!" :icon-smile:
It demonstrates how serious you take the observations. Chapeau!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Wow, I missed this great observing report from you so I am glad that you kicked it up with a later post. A great collection of NGC and IC objects in Cetus and I enjoyed your observing update of IC 80 and IC 77 with image. Thanks for another of your great reports Alan, and the best of wishes for many clear night skies now that we are into the winter months.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:43 pm Hi Alan. Wow, I missed this great observing report from you so I am glad that you kicked it up with a later post. A great collection of NGC and IC objects in Cetus and I enjoyed your observing update of IC 80 and IC 77 with image. Thanks for another of your great reports Alan, and the best of wishes for many clear night skies now that we are into the winter months.

Thank you Marshall. I will sometimes re-visit my notes from an observing session, and on some occasions spot something that piques my interest beyond what I initially wrote. That then puts me on the trail for more clarifying info to sate my curiosity. :icon-smile: Not only am I a numbers nerd, but an object detail nerd!
Alan