A Planetary Delight!

Let's see your reports!
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

A Planetary Delight!

Post by Unitron48 »

Observing conditions last evening, while not great, were reasonable enough to do some planetary observing. It had been some time since I did a planetary marathon. Added to that, all the planets would be visible for observing between sunset and about 2100 hrs local. My tool of choice was my Stellarvue SVX127D using TV EP's (Panoptic 22mm at 46x, Radian 10mm at 101x, and Ethos 6mm at 126x). Sky conditions didn't warrant use of any more magnification.
SVX127_15Apr2022.jpg

First up were Mercury and Venus. I waited until sunset to avoid any possible conflict with the great yellow orb. Both planets were nearly 100% illuminated and presented as dim disks under first 46x and then 101x. Nothing special with these two; it was mainly the thrill of the kill.

When the sky darkened an hour later, I preceded to take on Saturn, Neptune, and Jupiter. Saturn always impresses! I was able to easily detect Cassini and several surface features, as well as both Titan and Rhea. Neptune presented as a bright bluish dot. Jupiter on the other hand was large and in charge. Timing was right to take in a GRS transit, as well as details in the equatorial band and north and south equatorial belts. Io, Europa, and Callisto were on one side with Ganymede on the other.

About an hour later I was able to capture Uranus and Mars. Uranus presented as a small pale bluish green disk at 101x. No moon visible. Mars, now nearing its December 8 opposition, was still pretty low and not presenting a crisp view. I was able to detect greenish gray surface features, with Syrtis Major the most prominent.

While waiting for the last two planets (Uranus and Mars) to clear the trees, I observed lots of other goodies including a couple double stars (Albireo and Iota Cas), globular and open clusters (M2, M15, C14, M30, M45, M72, M75) and a galaxy or two (M31/32, M110).

By this time the temperature was into the 20's heading for a low of 19 degrees. I was still thawing out from the Leonid observing session, so called it a night.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: A Planetary Delight!

Post by John Baars »

Great! Such a planetary marathon. Congratulations!
I think you must be quite satisfied.
It is one of the things on my "still to do list". :icon-biggrin: :sad-teareye:
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

John Baars wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:40 pm Great! Such a planetary marathon. Congratulations!
I think you must be quite satisfied.
It is one of the things on my "still to do list". :icon-biggrin: :sad-teareye:
Thanks, John. It's all a matter of timing!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Nice report Dave looks like you got a lot accomplished in one night, thanks for sharing your report with us.
I noticed your observation about Mars and being new to the hobby I noticed that no matter what EP I used I could not get a clear image of the planet on multiple night’s when I could see the other plants with no issue .
Perhaps you can enlighten me on getting a better image or what the issue might be .
Thanks in advance Frank
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very well done Dave. A nice planetary parade project, plus some show piece objects. What's not to like!? Sounds like the SV is indeed doing a superb job for you. Its always interesting to see Syrtis Major as it adds a very curious visual contrast to the rusty disk of Mars. That is VROD report if I've ever seen one!

I will add that I had to lookup which object C14 was. I have never been an adherent to the Caldwell list, so you threw me a curve-ball with that one! :think:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Hi Frank! I'm certain others will provide recommendations, but as a starter here is a good article from Sky and Telescope on Mars viewing: https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-n ... ntil-2035/. Here is a portion of that article.

"Most of these features and the ones described below are visible through a 6-inch or larger telescope at moderate to high magnification (100× to 300×). The more often you observe Mars the easier they become to recognize. If mediocre seeing presents a challenge, apply a filter. A red Wratten 23A or 25 will give albedo markings a nice kick in contrast. For atmospherics like limb hazes and clouds try a blue Wratten 80A. Filters will also help tame the planet's glare and reduce eye fatigue."

You may be getting clearer views of the other planets (Jupiter and Saturn) because they are higher up and out of the Earth's atmosphere in the early evening. Mars is still in the denser part. Waiting to much later in the evening or early morning would be better.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

It does help it helps very much I appreciate the insight and you’re right most of the time when I viewed it it has not been directly overhead but at a lower angle in the atmosphere I’ll have to stay up later lol
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:57 pm Very well done Dave. A nice planetary parade project, plus some show piece objects. What's not to like!? Sounds like the SV is indeed doing a superb job for you. Its always interesting to see Syrtis Major as it adds a very curious visual contrast to the rusty disk of Mars. That is VROD report if I've ever seen one!

I will add that I had to lookup which object C14 was. I have never been an adherent to the Caldwell list, so you threw me a curve-ball with that one! :think:
Thanks, Alan! Yea, C14...shorter than two NGC #s or spelling out Double Cluster!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:43 pm Thanks, Alan! Yea, C14...shorter than two NGC #s or spelling out Double Cluster!!

Dave

Lazy old man! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great session Dave! Definitely VROD material. I was not aware that Mercury and Venus are in the evenings now.

Planetary marathons are fan, but one typically need clear horizon view to catch Mercury.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:20 pm Great session and congrats on the VROD Dave! I was not aware that Mercury and Venus are in the evenings now.

Planetary marathons are fan, but one typically need clear horizon view to catch Mercury.
Thanks, Andrey. I'm fortunate to have a great view of the South to West horizon from my backyard!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Dave. A nice solar system planetary roundup session using your SVX127D telescope. And along with a full sweep you even grabbed several Messier objects. Thanks for another fine observing report Dave and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 pm If mediocre seeing presents a challenge, apply a filter. A red Wratten 23A or 25 will give albedo markings a nice kick in contrast. For atmospherics like limb hazes and clouds try a blue Wratten 80A. Filters will also help tame the planet's glare and reduce eye fatigue."
Dave
I also find red/orange filters useful for picking the dark features on Mars. For small scopes (60-100mm) Orange #21 works better and for larger scopes Light Red #23A and Red #25 do the trick. But they have to be of good quality. Cheap color filters from beginner kits just add light scatter and worsen the view.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Makuser wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:07 pm Hi Dave. A nice solar system planetary roundup session using your SVX127D telescope. And along with a full sweep you even grabbed several Messier objects. Thanks for another fine observing report Dave and keep looking up.
Thanks, Marshall! I'm really liking my SVX127D! I have downsized my inventory and it has pretty much become my daily driver.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Good to see you get back out with your 5" Apo Dave!

Interesting that you were able to see Uranus as a bluish-green disk (I've only been seeing a tiny white disk so far).

For Mars observing, I've been starting off with my smaller scopes and progressively moving to my larger ones.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

terrynak wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:29 am Good to see you get back out with your 5" Apo Dave!

Interesting that you were able to see Uranus as a bluish-green disk (I've only been seeing a tiny white disk so far).

For Mars observing, I've been starting off with my smaller scopes and progressively moving to my larger ones.
Larger aperture and APO design certainly help with color definition.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Dave and congratulations on winning the VROD for the day! Happy Thanksgiving as well!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Well done on the VROD Dave, and a Happy Thanksgiving from up our way!
Alan

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

helicon wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:16 pm Great report Dave and congratulations on winning the VROD for the day! Happy Thanksgiving as well!
Thanks, Michael! And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:36 am Well done on the VROD Dave, and a Happy Thanksgiving from up our way!
Thanks, Alan! Wishing you a great couple of nights observing!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D