Observing Report for 17 November 2022 - a little binocular fun

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 17 November 2022 - a little binocular fun

Post by kt4hx »

The recent dip of the nighttime temperatures, particularly at our dark site house, prompted me to take a quick trip over to the other house. The reason being is that we like to keep the water turned off in the house in the event that the power is out for an extended period due to bad weather. The last thing we need is for our water lines to freeze when no one lives there full time. Anyway, the forecast was for cold temps in the lower 20’s (F) and perhaps some clearing, though with poor seeing. After arriving I prepped the big scope in the garage, but did not deploy any of my normal stuff outside until I had a better sense of how the weather was going to turn out.

The clouds were solid as 1900 hours came and went, so I went back inside to watch some college basketball. I checked again about 2000 hours and the sky was now spitting very light snow at me, so back inside. I stepped out again about 2100 hours and I saw Jupiter briefly, but then it ducked back behind the clouds and no other heavenly treats were seen. At this point I re-stowed the gear that I had staged in the garage as it was looking like a no-go for this evening. Doing another check at 2300 hours I could see the sky was finally starting to clear out a little, with about half the sky opened up, but could tell seeing was compromised. It was close to 20° F (-7° C) and conditions were still questionable so I retreated back in to finish up a game I was watching.

It was now nearly 2330 hours and I stepped out on the porch again to find the sky mostly clear. Since it was late and I was tired, I decided not to try and deploy the scope. Rather I retrieved my Pentax 10x50 binoculars and got a chair from the garage and sat on the front porch to simply look around the sky to see what I could find. Again, seeing seemed below average but transparency was about average of what I experience here. So with the binoculars in hand, and some extra layers quickly put on, I sat outside for about 40 minutes and scanned around to see what I could pick up quickly while seated on the front porch. I was facing ESE so Orion was front and center, still on its side as it rose. This was a short and simple outing in the cold rural air with nothing more than my two 1x eyeballs and 10x50s. Here is how it went.

Messier 42 / NGC 1976 (Orion, bright nebula, mag=4.0, size=1.5º x 1º, SBr=13.1):
With Orion right in front of me, I could easily see the small and soft gentle glow of M42 in the belt of the Great Hunter. Putting the 10x50s on it, it was a large and beautiful delicate glow. Softly white-gray in coloration to the eye, its diffuse glow was very obvious to the eye. The central cluster, Trapezium, appeared as a tight pair of piercingly bright white stars embedded within the nebula. Even in the binoculars M42 was an inspiring sight as I sat on the front porch.

Messier 43 / NGC 1982 (Orion, bright nebula, mag=7.0, size=20.0’x15.0’, SBr=12.9):
The very small diffuse glow of M43 was also picked up just NNE of M42. The pinprick sparkle of mag 6.9 Nu Orionis was engulfed in this glow. While it was not as prominent as it would be in my scope, it was nonetheless not difficult. While looking at Orion with the naked eye, I saw an approximately mag 0 meteor streak across the body of Orion toward the SSE.

Messier 78 / NGC 2068 (Orion, reflection nebula, mag=8.0, size=8.0’x6.0’, SBr=11.9): Aiming the binoculars at mag 1.8 Alnitak (Zeta Ori), the eastern star in Orion’s belt, I then zoned in on the asterism Streicher 56, about 2° to the NNE. Almost 1° east of this grouping of stars I picked up the dim, but unmistakable soft gentle glow of this reflection nebula. Very small in visual size in the 10x50s I could not resolve the two brightest stars (10th mag) within its diffuse glow. They merely melded into one dim star swaddled in nebulosity.

Messier 79 / NGC 1904 (Lepus, globular cluster, mag=7.7, size=9.6’, SBr=12.3, class=5):
Dropping down to the celestial hare, I framed mag 2.8 Beta Leporis (Nihal) and mag 4.7 HD 34968 nearly 2° to its WSW. Using this pair of stars I triangulated to a string of four brighter field stars (6th and 7th mag) about 3.5° to their south. Following this string of stars to the northeast I spotted this globular in the binoculars. It presented as a dim and very small rounded diffuse glow. When seeing steadied, it seemed to have a stellar center though no stars were truly resolved. I attribute this illusory sense of a stellar center to the brightness of the compact core of the cluster and how my mind’s eye interpreted the data it was receiving.

I now dipped farther south in an attempt to dig around in Columba trying to catch a glimpse of the beautiful globular cluster NGC 1851. In a scope, and particularly from farther south, it is a fantastic visual object. , but the combination of poor position and some clouds to the south prevented me from finding the cluster as I had hoped. While looking in that general direction with the naked eye I did get a nice visual treat from another meteor. I first picked it up in central Eridanus as it was heading southward toward the horizon. I estimated it at about mag -4 as it continued southward into eastern Fornax before it disappeared behind some clouds. Interestingly, as it moved into the clouds, there was a bright flash which reflected off the clouds as it apparently went out in a blaze of glory! That was a nice and invigorating surprised on this cold evening. With that exciting moment over, I headed back north to Taurus.

Messier 45 (Taurus, open cluster, mag=1.2, size=1.7°, class=I3rn):
The infamous Pleiades or Seven Sisters (from mythology) is one of the first DSOs observed and identified by beginning astronomers. Its large angular size lends itself well to binoculars and small aperture scopes. Easily seen with the naked eye, it was quickly swept up in the 10x50 Pentax binoculars. It was framed wonderfully in the view and countless stars dotted the field around the primary members of this winter staple. The cluster was bright and showy in the binoculars and at times I felt I was picking up some hints of the diaphanous reflection nebula that engulfs its main stars. The Pleiades were pretty midnight snack on a cold autumn evening.

Messier 1 / NGC 1952 (Taurus, supernova remnant, mag=8.4, size=8.0’x4.0’, SBr=11.9):
The famous Crab Nebula was my next attempt with the binoculars. Aiming my binoculars at mag 2.9 Zeta Tauri, I used the two very widely spaced 6th mag stars to its north as my pointers to this object. Being careful to keep the glare of Mars out of the field of view, I could discern the very small and diffuse glow of M1. It was vaguely oval in shape and evenly illuminated. Not a showpiece in the binoculars as I’ve seen it in my scopes from this location, but nice to pick up in the binoculars.

Melotte 31 (Auriga, open cluster, mag=3.3, size=2.7°, class=unk):
This large cluster contains the bright stars 14, 16, 17, 18 and 19 Aurigae, plus the bright variable IQ Aurigae. It was easily noticed with the naked eye about 5° NNW of Beta Tau. The main stars are also known as the asterism the “flying minnow”. Through the binoculars it was a large and spread out group, dominated by the primary stars with countless dimmer stars dotting the general field around them. I’ve always found it a curious group that stands out well through binoculars and small scopes.

Messier 38 / NGC 1912 (Auriga, open cluster, mag=6.4, size=21.0’, class=II2r):
While observing Melotte 31 with the naked eye, I could just make out a very small diffuse glow just over 3to the northeast. Aiming the 10x50s at Mel 31 I could see M38 now as a bright and fairly large rounded diffuse glow of stellar light. While in the binoculars the cluster presented only a fuzzy glow of unresolved stars, it was quite obvious in the field northeast of Mel 31.

Messier 36 / NGC 1960 (Auriga, open cluster, mag=6.0, size=12.0’, class=II3m):
East of Mel 31, I could also see the small diffuse glow of this cluster with the naked eye. It was easier to pick up without optical aid than M38. In the binoculars it was a small rounded fuzzy glowing disk of stellar light. No resolution was achieved, but the combined light of the member stars was quite obvious within the field of view. I could easily frame it with both M38 and Mel 31.

Messier 37 / NGC 2099 (Auriga, open cluster, mag=5.6, size=15.0’, class=II1r):
With the naked eye this cluster was more obvious than the other two. About 7° east of Mel 31 it was an obvious condensation of light without the binoculars. Putting the 10x50s on the object it was a somewhat large rounded glow, with hints of very modest resolution of a few members. It was strongly apparent in the binoculars and had a ghostly visual appearance.

Messier 35 / NGC 2168 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=5.1, size=25.0’, class= III2m):
First picked up with the naked eye nearly 4° northwest of mag 2.9 Mu Geminorum, in the 10x50s it was a large and bright rounded glow. Its appearance was very diffuse with a precious few stars resolved; but mostly it was the melded light of its members. This has always been one of my favorite clusters and it always stands out beautifully within its surrounding field. This object was stunning as usual and is a delightful object at most any aperture.

NGC 2158 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=8.6, size=5.0’, class= II3r):
This curious little cluster is always a nice treat when observing M35. Within the same field of view almost half a degree to its southwest. Through my 17.5 it is a very intriguing and rich little cluster. However, through the 10x50s it was a diminutive globe of diffuse starlight. It was obvious through the binoculars but unless one was looking for it, they might overlook its presence in the view, instead focusing attention on M35.

NGC 2392 (Gemini, planetary nebula, mag=9.1, size=0.9’, SBr=8.6):
My final object of this short chilly outing was an attempt on this planetary with the binoculars. I easily aimed them at mag 3.5 Delta Gem (Wasat) then in the same field of view not quite 2° to its ESE I focused my attention of an obvious curve of stars. The group is punctuated by the mag 5.2 star 63 Gem, and I like to call it Pollux’s Crown, as if he is holding a crown down by his side. Anyway, just over half a degree southeast of 63 Gem I looked for my target. I could easily see the mag 10.5 central star of the planetary. Then as seeing shifted and I moved my eyes around a little to gain averted vision I could sporadically pick up a rounded diffuse glow around the star. It was very dim and not held steadily, but it was clearly seen multiple times. This was the first time I’d attempted this object with the binoculars, so I was quite happy to pick it up.

With that final object I was done. I had been out about 40 minutes or so, and I wasn’t really dressed as I would have been had I taken the scope out for a few hours with temps approaching 20° F. So I bid the chilly night sky adieu and went indoors for the remainder of the night. Though it was not conducive for taking the big scope out, I still had a delightful time visiting old friends with the binoculars under a dark rural sky. Thanks for coming along with me, and I hope to see you back out there soon.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 17 November 2022 - a little binocular fun

Post by John Baars »

Nice observations, some of them are quite challenging objects for binoculars! Compliments!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:20 pm Nice observations, some of them are quite challenging objects for binoculars! Compliments!

Thank you John. The darker rural skies really are a major factor in how well one can perform visual observations.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Very good bino run!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:23 pm Very good bino run!

Thank you nFA, it was short but fun.
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice bino tour of winter sky Alan! Nice work on NGC 2392. It would not occur to me to go for something small like that.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:15 pm Nice bino tour of winter sky Alan! Nice work on NGC 2392. It would not occur to me to go for something small like that.

Thank you Andrey. I was just flying by the seat of my pants on this session, and only thought of NGC 2392 in the moment to see if it were possible. At its angular size of almost 1', I felt it was possible, so gave it a shot. Bear in mind, I could not see the PN all the time. Rather as a very, very small intermittent diffuse glow around the central star. When seeing shifted and the central star would fade slightly, then the surrounding nebula would drift into view for a few moments. Then seeing would shift again, bring the central star brightness up and this would overwhelm the dim nebulous portion of the object. I watched this for a bit as it was an intriguing thing to see in the binoculars. Through a scope I of course always see the PN surrounding the central star, but in this case it was the two of them doing battle based on the seeing in the moment.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great captures, Alan! Really displays the power of the binos!!

Dave

Note: Certainly VROD worthy :sprefac:
Last edited by Unitron48 on Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I admire your perseverance Alan.

That session just goes to show what amazing objects you can see in our night skies by just using your naked eyes and binoculars.

Yet another excellent report from you too.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:53 am Great captures, Alan! Really displays the power of the binos!!

Dave

Note: Certainly VROD worthy :sprefac:

Thank you Dave. I don't use binoculars regularly, and that night had the sky been more cooperative, I would have rolled the big scope out and done what I usually do. But that said, it was a fun diversion from the norm and as you said, goes to show just what can be accomplished with binoculars under the right conditions.

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:06 am I admire your perseverance Alan.

That session just goes to show what amazing objects you can see in our night skies by just using your naked eyes and binoculars.

Yet another excellent report from you too.

Thank you Vanessa. Our eyes are one of the sensory conduits to the brain, and they can reveal some amazing things in the night sky, even unaided. Add to them some sort of optical aid, and the wonders of our visible universe can be revealed. Binoculars can certainly perform better than some may consider, and are an excellent observing tool to have in one's equipment compliment.
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow, great report Alan using the 10x50's.

I can see that dark skies make a huge difference in how many objects you can see. But in your case the very experienced eye is able to discern small faint objects as well as more obscure features. Congratulations, and you win, as nominated the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Congratulations Alan on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:59 pm Wow, great report Alan using the 10x50's.

I can see that dark skies make a huge difference in how many objects you can see. But in your case the very experienced eye is able to discern small faint objects as well as more obscure features. Congratulations, and you win, as nominated the VROD for the day!

Thank you Michael. It was a fun adventure, even if it wasn't exactly what I'd hoped for when I headed over to the dark site house. I really despise being shut out, so I'm glad I decided on the spur of the moment to grab the binoculars and give it a go. And you are correct; if one has access to darker skies, it can make all the difference in the world at every aperture level.

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:05 pm Congratulations Alan on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.

Thank you Vanessa.
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. A very nice and informative observing report using your 10x50 binoculars. And you logged a lot of nice Messier and NGC objects in your session. Although a good dark sky always helps, binoculars are still quite a valuable tool even after one buys a telescope (or scopes). Thanks for another well written and fun read report Alan and congratulations on receiving the much deserved TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice session Alan, this cold weather makes me appreciate my Binos!

Congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD. Well done!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Great to see the 10x50's getting some deep-sky action Alan - and picking up the Eskimo nebula! I would imagine M 78 and NGC 2158 would require careful eyeballing to pick up as well.

I used my binoculars (8x35) in dark skies only once, and that was the final RTMC star party back in summer 2019 - didn't bother bringing a scope. Most stunning objects I recall were M6 and M7, especially the latter. But overall, I was amazed at what binocs could show in dark skies.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:22 pm Hi Alan. A very nice and informative observing report using your 10x50 binoculars. And you logged a lot of nice Messier and NGC objects in your session. Although a good dark sky always helps, binoculars are still quite a valuable tool even after one buys a telescope (or scopes). Thanks for another well written and fun read report Alan and congratulations on receiving the much deserved TSS VROD Award today.

Thank you Marshall. Binoculars are an impressive tool to be certain, and everyone, bar none, should have at least one pair in their equipment compliment. A dark sky of course is always a plus, regardless of the aperture.

Ylem wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:07 pm Nice session Alan, this cold weather makes me appreciate my Binos!

Congratulations on the well deserved VROD!

Thank you Jeff. They can certainly be very useful if one doesn't wish to set up in the cold weather. That said, I still would rather get the scope out anyway! :lol:

John Baars wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:21 pm Congratulations on the VROD. Well done!

Thank you very much John.

terrynak wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:01 am Great to see the 10x50's getting some deep-sky action Alan - and picking up the Eskimo nebula! I would imagine M 78 and NGC 2158 would require careful eyeballing to pick up as well.

I used my binoculars (8x35) in dark skies only once, and that was the final RTMC star party back in summer 2019 - didn't bother bringing a scope. Most stunning objects I recall were M6 and M7, especially the latter. But overall, I was amazed at what binocs could show in dark skies.

Thank you Terry. Binoculars are very convenient, and they can indeed be quite effective in darker skies. When I was a kid M6 and M7 were two of my very favorite objects through my old Gilbert 3 inch reflector!
Alan