Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Exceptional value

Post by Nakedgun »

~
Astronomics, which I believe is the largest retailer of astro gear in the U.S. has their proprietary line of Astro-Tech products for us. Recently, I learned of the PF flat-field eyepieces.

Bought and tried the 5.5mm, which sports a 60° AFOV, 16mm eye-relief, and the flat field, all for $55! The orthoscopics and original Ultimas I have at this length now seem unusable. If you have high-end oculars you don't need one, but this is a keeper. Other F/Ls available, some with 65° fields.

IMGP3230.JPG

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Exceptional value

Post by Bigzmey »

I wonder how they compare to AstroTech Dual EDs.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've been thinking about trying a 10mm. Or is it 10.5? Whatever...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

It appears to be identical to the APM Ultra Flat Field, which is also really a 10.5mm.
Both are the same weight, even.

Note that the eyepiece is currently available under at least 8 labels.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Don Pensack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:27 pm It appears to be identical to the APM Ultra Flat Field, which is also really a 10.5mm.

Not sure that's the case Don. APM UFF 24mm is a large EP with 8 elements. Astrotech PF is a small 4-element EP. Also the price, UFF and rebrands are sold above $100, and PF are $55 a piece.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:19 pm
Don Pensack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:27 pm It appears to be identical to the APM Ultra Flat Field, which is also really a 10.5mm.

Not sure that's the case Don. APM UFF 24mm is a large EP with 8 elements. Astrotech PF is a small 4-element EP. Also the price, UFF and rebrands are sold above $100, and PF are $55 a piece.

I wasn't talking about the whole UFF line, only the 10.5mm. I don't think the APM UFFs in the other sizes are the same as the PFs.

It always seemed strange that the "10mm" UFF was a smaller true field and it seemed like a previously-produced eyepiece at KUO that was just tacked on to the UFF line to add a shorter focal length.
Tests indicate the 10mm UFF is really 10.5mm and it has the same apparent field, weight, size, element count, etc. as the 10.5mm PF, which comes from the same factory.
And the UFF is available direct from China for a similar price as the PF. Astrotech is also known for pricing imported products extremely low. Direct from Mfr to dealer as opposed to Mfr to distributor to dealer.
That easily explains the price difference.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor