My Stellina has been a great asset!

Discussion area ONLY for Electronically assisted imaging.
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

My Stellina has been a great asset!

Post by smp »

Good afternoon, all!

I purchased a Stellina back in February-March this year.

Back in the beginning of October, for the heck of it, I opened up the Singularity app that I use on my iPad and counted the number of "observing" sessions I've logged by saving at least one image since I started a "observing" with my Stellina.

I counted 33 "observing" sessions, not counting any sessions that I've logged since then.

33 sessions in 7 months! Up until now, if I logged a dozen or 15 sessions in a year, I counted myself as doing well with my Astronomy hobby. The Stellina has been an absolutely hobby-changing investment for me. I have now done more "observing" in the past several months as I might have done before in two good years in a row!

I do have to say that I do not get the same thrill as I do when personally seeing something in the eyepiece on a scope live, but as far as simply enjoying my hobby of Astronomy goes, the Stellina has been an excellent investment for me.

Thanks for listening!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: My Stellina has been a great asset!

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good to hear that the setup works for you Stephen.
Whatever makes it easiest to get outside.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

That's great! Right, enjoyable setup does get you out more often.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

Post by smp »

Thanks very much, folks! Your congratulations and support are very welcome.

I've been looking at this product for some years now, and early on, when many folks didn't know how to "classify" this type of equipment, I worried that the naysayers might win out, and users of products like this might have to quietly stay under cover.

For me, and I have to emphasize for me, this is an earth-shaking change in my ability to do Astronomy.

For whatever reason, I've always had a difficult time translating from an atlas or planisphere or sky chart of any kind to what I see in the sky. This has hampered my ability to locate objects in the sky and point to them. Enter GoTo. Perhaps since I've always favored SCTs, my GoTo systems have always seemed finicky at least, un-alignable at worst. Even my best mount (my current Az Mount Pro) will sometimes align pretty much right on (with a 40mm eyepiece) and sometimes align 15 degrees east of right on. During use, if I don't have it 'perfectly' level, it will slowly go off as I scatter-shoot around the sky with my observations. Certainly, I can adjust the alignment along the way by synching on a current known target, but not so good for searching for a new target that I'm not familiar with, and causes me a lot of eyepiece changing and effort, too.

And finally, my age. I am aging, and I have my issues. I am now having a harder time moving my mount with it's counterweights, and then I'm much more nervous about lifting my largest OTA onto the mount. For me, a lot of effort to set up, and of course that is mirrored by a lot of effort to tear down - in the dark. Of course, let's not talk too much about the cold in the winter, and the mosquitos in the summer - or what Daylight Savings Time does to my ability to even get up the gumption to try.

I will keep my small scopes because I still love the thrill of observing at the eyepiece, but the Stellina looks to become a HUGE benefit, for me, to be able to observe many DSOs that I've been struggling for years and years to even get a glimpse of, given my locating difficulties and all I already mentioned.

FWIW, if you are still following this lengthy explanation, I have been quite attracted to doing EAA for a long time now, because of all of the above. However, the thoughts that there would now be more equipment and wires and batteries to deal with - further complicating my set up and tear down process - have kept me on the sideline.

This Stellina system seems, for me, to be a tremendous help to be able to not only keep on doing Astronomy, but also to expand my observing far, far beyond what I have been able to do up to now.

I apologize for ranting like a fanboy! Again I have to say this is all what I find for me. Others have their own opinions, and paths to what they feel is success in doing Astronomy.

Thanks again to all, and thanks for listening.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Stephen,

EAA definitely has a place in astronomy and is becoming more popular. I know there has been a lot of negative commentary about EAA on other sites but I for one am glad that you have found a way to stay in the hobby and enjoy it.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Sounds like a lot of fun Stephen! I’m sure that I’ll try EAA some day, but your setup is so much easier than setting up an imaging rig.
Great to hear that you are having fun! That’s what it’s all about!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Impressive log! I'd try a Stellina, but I don't have near that much in my hobby budget. :(
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

Post by smp »

pakarinen wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:40 pm Impressive log! I'd try a Stellina, but I don't have near that much in my hobby budget. :(

Yes, I am very much aware of the cost of this rig. I am quite self-conscious, as I NEVER want to be seen as rubbing anyone's nose about it.
For me, in my situation, I was able to afford to purchase it, and it has been a complete hobby-changer for me.

There are plenty of others who have been fortunate enough to purchase other expensive equipment, like night vision (another hobby-changer) or a large Dobsonian that'll thrill the pants off of anyone with their real-life views, and imaging rigs can easily eclipse the expense of a Stellina - and after processing they offer spectacular images in the hands of a practiced imager. So, hopefully, this can be seen as simply another hobby astronomer having a great time with Astronomy.

Thanks for all the great comments!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -

Post by smp »

OK, folks, here is an image I captured earlier this year of M60. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I captured the Super-Nova that was nearby!

M60-90.jpg

For me, that was pretty thrilling - even though it was an EAA image, and not real-life at the eyepiece.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

smp wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:07 pm OK, folks, here is an image I captured earlier this year of M60. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I captured the Super-Nova that was nearby!

M60-90.jpg

For me, that was pretty thrilling - even though it was an EAA image, and not real-life at the eyepiece.

smp
Cool capture Stephen!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255