Mirror cleaning

Discuss reflector telescopes
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mirror cleaning

Post by Larry 1969 »

All good information here. I will pay attention to the clips before I take it apart.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mirror cleaning

Post by KathyNS »

Larry 1969 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:32 pm I've read about "pinched optics" and never really understood it. Are they saying that you actually distort the glass? That's hard to believe...
It's true. The wavelength of light is a range centred around 500 nm. Most commercial mirrors are accurate to around 1/8 wave, which is a tolerance of 60 nm. So any movement of the surface more than 60 nm (or likely considerably less) is a distortion, and will affect optical performance.

Remember also that glass is a liquid. Strange as it seems, because it is an extremely viscous liquid, but it is not crystalline, as true solids are, so it can be deformed.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin