Pixinsight WBPP Local Normalization Issue

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Pixinsight WBPP Local Normalization Issue

Post by Juno16 »

I just want to share this just in case someone had issues like I did with WBPP Local Normalization in Pixinsight.

The first time that I used LN in PI I found that it really helped with background gradients and took a big load off of Dynamic Background Extraction.
I live in a light polluted area (Bortle 7) and have lots of local (and more distant) light sources that cause me some gradient issues. Especially when most of the gradients disappear when the scope is aimed high.

I would have errors when running WBPP to the effect of “Failed to find LN reference frame” (going from memory, so I might have some wording off).

I searched high and low and found some solutions on the Pixinsight forum, but they mostly were relating to past versions of WBPP. I tried them anyway without success.

This was an intermittent issue. Sometimes it would run successfully and sometimes it would fail.

Finally, I found the fix (for my situation) on another PI forum post. The fix was to enable long filenames in the Windows registry. Apparently, if the filenames are >260 charactors, LN would fail to find a reference frame. I certainly could not imagine that my filenames were longer than 260 charactors, but apparently they were (sometimes).

If you are have similar issues, there is nothing to lose by trying this fix. Of course, if you are not comfortable with editing the Windows 10 registry, you might not want to try this.

Follow the instructions in this article to enable long filenames in the Windows 10 registry.

I hope that this helps someone having this issue because Local Normalization is a wonderful tool.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... s=registry
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Pixinsight WBPP Local Normalization Issue

Post by KathyNS »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:38 pmLocal Normalization is a wonderful tool.
I have heard this, and it sounds like it could be helpful on some of my images. The trouble is, I can't find it! I tried to Google a tutorial, but it only found one really terrible video that I couldn't stand to watch. (Three minutes in, he still hadn't said anything useful.)

I can see that the ImageIntegration process has a field for Normalization, in which you can select Local Normalization. (The default in mine is Additive With Scaling.) But I usually prefer to use WBPP instead of doing the integration manually. Do I have to turn it on in ImageIntegration before starting WBPP?

As far as I know, my PixInsight is up to date. It hasn't bugged me to update it in a while. I have version 1.8.8-12.

Any help in finding Local Normalization would be greatly appreciated.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:17 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:38 pmLocal Normalization is a wonderful tool.
I have heard this, and it sounds like it could be helpful on some of my images. The trouble is, I can't find it! I tried to Google a tutorial, but it only found one really terrible video that I couldn't stand to watch. (Three minutes in, he still hadn't said anything useful.)

I can see that the ImageIntegration process has a field for Normalization, in which you can select Local Normalization. (The default in mine is Additive With Scaling.) But I usually prefer to use WBPP instead of doing the integration manually. Do I have to turn it on in ImageIntegration before starting WBPP?

As far as I know, my PixInsight is up to date. It hasn't bugged me to update it in a while. I have version 1.8.8-12.

Any help in finding Local Normalization would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kathy,

I know that you have been an AP'er for quite a long time. You helped me quite a bit on the old AF forum.

You probably use individual processes in PI for pre-processing. I am a newer PI user of just under 2 years and I have run through the manual processes for pre-processing, but WBPP has gotten so good, I exclusively use it for pre-processing and there is where I ran across Local Normalization a few versions back when it became available. So, unfortunately, I can't offer much help about how to run the individual LN process. But, if manual pre-processing is your method, I am sure you will figure it out quickly.

In WBPP, LN is just before Image Integration. See below.

Capture.JPG

I would think that is the order it would be run using manual processes.

If you do use LN in WBPP, be sure to set everything default as in the image below. There have been several iterations of LN in WBPP since it was introduced recently, and the new defaults will not update unless you manually reset the settings in WBPP. I (and many others) have run into issues with LN in WBPP when running it with the older settings. Below are the latest defaults and they work very well.

Capture1.JPG

I'm sure that there are cases where LN doesn't help, but I have run datasets both ways and the difference in the stretched (STF) on the Masterlight is significant. Definitely reduces the load on DBE.

If you want to see a comparison that I posted on CN awhile back, please see https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8269 ... rocessing/ post 43.

This thread is good reading, but long.

Good luck and please share your findings!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:43 pm You probably use individual processes in PI for pre-processing. I am a newer PI user of just under 2 years and I have run through the manual processes for pre-processing, but WBPP has gotten so good, I exclusively use it for pre-processing and there is where I ran across Local Normalization a few versions back when it became available.
Other way around: I, like you, use WBPP almost exclusively, and almost never use the individual processes.

Thanks for the screen shots. It looks like I must be running an antique version of WBPP. Mine looks nothing like yours:
Untitled.png

I wonder how you get a new version. Like I said, I thought my PI was up to date.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:43 pm You probably use individual processes in PI for pre-processing. I am a newer PI user of just under 2 years and I have run through the manual processes for pre-processing, but WBPP has gotten so good, I exclusively use it for pre-processing and there is where I ran across Local Normalization a few versions back when it became available.
Other way around: I, like you, use WBPP almost exclusively, and almost never use the individual processes.

Thanks for the screen shots. It looks like I must be running an antique version of WBPP. Mine looks nothing like yours:

Untitled.png

I wonder how you get a new version. Like I said, I thought my PI was up to date.

Cool! Then all you need is an update.

I could be wrong, but I think that the new WBPP was pushed down as a normal update. Are you running PI ver 1.8.9-1?
I would think that WBPP v2.5.3 would also be part of the v1.8.9-1 package.

You could try reading this thread.

https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... ate.19375/

This thread discusses the new pipeline feature in WBPP which is pretty cool. There might be information that can help you.

I noticed in the thread that uninstalling PI and reinstalling v1.8.9-1 fixed their issue. I have uninstalled/re-installed before and it is no problem. All PI settings/scripts are retained.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!
Jim

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Thanks, Jim. I just downloaded and installed PI 1.8.9-1. Local Normalization is there now. I am giving it a test run now.

Oops, it crapped out trying to plate-solve reference frames. I wonder if I can turn that off. I don't need anything plate-solved at this point. I was able to ignore the error with manual intervention, but hopefully there is a way to skip it automatically.

[edit] Ah, yes, I see it now. I can either turn off Astrometric Solution or I can turn off the Interactive in Case of Failure option. Cool.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:18 pm Thanks, Jim. I just downloaded and installed PI 1.8.9-1. Local Normalization is there now. I am giving it a test run now.

Oops, it crapped out trying to plate-solve reference frames. I wonder if I can turn that off. I don't need anything plate-solved at this point. I was able to ignore the error with manual intervention, but hopefully there is a way to skip it automatically.

[edit] Ah, yes, I see it now. I can either turn off Astrometric Solution or I can turn off the Interactive in Case of Failure option. Cool.

Great!

Let me know how it works out.
Jim

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:04 pm Let me know how it works out.
It seemed to work okay. I'll have to find some old data where it might have made a difference.

I am not happy that the new version of PI broke my startup process icons. Sure, it's only two clicks to get them back, but that's a kludgey workaround. I googled what to do about it and found several other kludgey workarounds, not of which actually worked. :roll:
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:06 pm
It seemed to work okay. I'll have to find some old data where it might have made a difference.

I am not happy that the new version of PI broke my startup process icons. Sure, it's only two clicks to get them back, but that's a kludgey workaround. I googled what to do about it and found several other kludgey workarounds, not of which actually worked. :roll:

I hope that LN does help you as it has helped me.

I also hope that the newer version helps more than the loss of the startup process icons.
Apparently, Juan thought it wasn’t the best practice and eliminated it in version 1.8.9-1.

https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... 8-9.18149/
Jim

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks Jim for posting this thread. For a long time I hadn't been using LN because I didn't know what it was. I finally tried it a few times but never compared the results w/wo using it. Then it stopped working and I had no idea why. In my case the solution was to hit the Reset button which changed some of the settings in LN. Following that it now works fine. I compared the results w/wo LN and the LN version had significantly less gradient issues!
By the way I uncheck Astrometric Solution.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:56 am Thanks Jim for posting this thread. For a long time I hadn't been using LN because I didn't know what it was. I finally tried it a few times but never compared the results w/wo using it. Then it stopped working and I had no idea why. In my case the solution was to hit the Reset button which changed some of the settings in LN. Following that it now works fine. I compared the results w/wo LN and the LN version had significantly less gradient issues!
By the way I uncheck Astrometric Solution.

Steve

I too have much less gradient issues when using LN in WBPP. I am happy that you have found it usefull.

I posted this back in June relating to the need to reset the WBPP defaults when I ran into the same issues. I also posted to CN and they had a time with it (in true fashion!). viewtopic.php?p=204726#p204726

Recently, I would have hit and miss luck running LN and I found information on the PI forum about long filenames. I certainly didn't think that would apply to me because 260 characters in a filename (even including the full path) seemed like quite a bit!

BUT. I decided to give it a try and edited the registry to allow long filenames and viola! LN worked again! I started this thread in case anyone else used LN and ran into a similar issue.

I have a streetlight (led) in my front yard (to the east) and as you know, that is the direction of the Earth's rotation, so, I have to start tracking in the Eastern area of the sky. My western sky is obstructed (well, starting about ~65 degrees altitude). So my gradients are constantly changing.

So yes, LN really helps me and whenever I have issues with PI running LN in WBPP, I will be on it!

So glad that you found it helpful Steve!
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I must have missed your June post probably because I wasn't using LN at that time.

I will be using LN on all future projects because my situation is similar to yours. I can only see the Eastern half of the sky because my mobile home or mobile home carport awning gets in the way soon after targets cross the Meridian. I have a shopping Mall about a half mile away and a major street with all the street lights also about a half mile away. So I also deal with changing gradients. LN greatly simplifies my Linear processing.

Thanks again Jim,

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:58 am I must have missed your June post probably because I wasn't using LN at that time.

I will be using LN on all future projects because my situation is similar to yours. I can only see the Eastern half of the sky because my mobile home or mobile home carport awning gets in the way soon after targets cross the Meridian. I have a shopping Mall about a half mile away and a major street with all the street lights also about a half mile away. So I also deal with changing gradients. LN greatly simplifies my Linear processing.

Thanks again Jim,

Steve

I tried to block the streetlight in my front yard with a long pole and a black plastic square. It is wobbly and delicate to set up. I quit using it because it is so much trouble. In the early evening, it blows so much light out of the sides, the glow of the condensing moisture in the air create a dome of light. No stars visible until about 40 degrees altitude.
When using a uv/ir cut filter, the mean adu of my first images is 2x what they are at the meridian!
Not complaining. Such is life. I’m just happy that Pixinsight has some amazing tool to allow me to pull targets out of the muck.
Very glad that LN works well for you. Thanks for replying Steve!
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

The LP here is why I finally switched to NB imaging. I now use 3nm filters for all three filters (S, H and O). Quite honestly I don't even worry about the moon anymore! These NB filters are the best "LP" filters you can get!

It was a big change when I switched from a DSLR to a cooled NB camera with filter wheel! I remember at one point wondering if I had made a big mistake. However, now that I have everything working and have learned how to do NB processing, I am so glad for the change. My images are far superior to what I was able to do before the change. Because the NB filters block so much of the LP the images are way less noisy.

Your mean ADU being 2X worse at the lower altitude means the noise will be approximately 40% higher for those images. That is pretty bad! Is that still the case with the L-Enhance filter? That filter is really just two NB filters although the bandwidths are 24nm and 10nm, so, it won't block nearly as much of the LP as the narrower NB filters will.

Thanks again for sharing your efforts on getting WBPP to work. It has helped me a lot!

PS: The reason I wondered if I had made a big mistake was because I was having trouble getting all of the new equipment (cooled camera, filter wheel, ASCOM and APT) to work together so that I could control everything with APT. It was so many new things all at the same time. Plus, when I finally got it to work, then I had to learn how to process NB images. It really was a bit overwhelming at first!!

Steve
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Kathy, I use a StreamDeck and always found it clunky that after launching PI I had to load my default process icons. One thing I found out though was if you double-click on the Process Icons file, wherever you have it stored, it launches PI and automatically loads your process icons. I hope that makes sense. So if you have a shortcut icon on your desktop to launch PixInsight, just replace it with a shortcut to your default icons.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:49 pm One thing I found out though was if you double-click on the Process Icons file, wherever you have it stored, it launches PI and automatically loads your process icons. I hope that makes sense. So if you have a shortcut icon on your desktop to launch PixInsight, just replace it with a shortcut to your default icons.
That was one of the kludges that the PI forum suggested. I tried it, and it errors out, so no go. I'll live with having to open the process file manually.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:49 pm

Kathy, I use a StreamDeck and always found it clunky that after launching PI I had to load my default process icons. One thing I found out though was if you double-click on the Process Icons file, wherever you have it stored, it launches PI and automatically loads your process icons. I hope that makes sense. So if you have a shortcut icon on your desktop to launch PixInsight, just replace it with a shortcut to your default icons.

Thanks Greg. Double clicking the process icon file works as you said for me. Loads it all up.

It must be some type of file association.

Capture.JPG

I really didn't mind a couple of extra clicks to open the process icons, but this works well and I will start using your tip. Thanks!
Jim

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Regarding the LN Reference frames, I see them in the "masters" folder, along with the regular masters. Should I be doing anything with them? Or are they just work files that can be deleted, like the "calibrated" or "registered" files?
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:07 pm Regarding the LN Reference frames, I see them in the "masters" folder, along with the regular masters. Should I be doing anything with them? Or are they just work files that can be deleted, like the "calibrated" or "registered" files?
Not that I’m aware of. Just work files and I delete them.

I’ve run and produced masters both with LN on and off and have seen a significant reduction in gradients in the Masterlights.
Jim