Collimation Issue

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Collimation Issue

Post by Razz »

I just collimated my AD10. I used a collimation cap and Cheshire. As this is my first time, I followed Astro Baby's tutorial. The secondary mirror appeared to be okay but the primary was off a little. I adjusted it so the crosshairs were centered on the dot. I went thru this 2 more times just to verify it. I then put the laser collimator that I got with the scope in. It was off about 3/4" from the center circle looking at it down the tube. I rotated the laser and the position never changed. Could it still be the laser itself is out of collimation or did I not collimate the scope correctly?

Edit: I think I figured it out. The secondary is not right.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Collimation Issue

Post by Razz »

Ok, so the first time I did this, I could see the 3 mirror clips in the collimation cap. They seemed to be equal. I reread the tutorial. Seems I didn't have it centered to the focuser tube. So I adjusted the secondary so the dark area around the image was equal. I then readjusted the primary. I put the laser collimater in and it's in the same spot as it was originally or very close to it. Ok, this is new to me so let's experiment. I used the laser to collimate the scope and then checked it with the cap and Cheshire. The cap showed very clearly that the secondary was not centered to the focuser tube. Then I used the Cheshire and the primary was off just a little. I'm clearly doing something wrong.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut

Bill
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

If you didn't collimate the laser, but used it like you bought it from the shelve, I would believe the Cheshire.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Thanks for the reply. I didn't collimate the laser. I'll go with the Cheshire then.

Bill
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

You rotated your laser and it stayed in the same spot so your laser is fine. Trust it, especially for collimating the secondary. You backed out for the wrong reason. The image of the secondary is not supposed to be symmetrical, from basic geometry. See Don Pensack's article https://www.catseyecollimation.com/pensack.pdf .
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:25 pm You rotated your laser and it stayed in the same spot so your laser is fine. Trust it, especially for collimating the secondary. You backed out for the wrong reason. The image of the secondary is not supposed to be symmetrical, from basic geometry. See Don Pensack's article https://www.catseyecollimation.com/pensack.pdf .
Thanks for the link. Very informative article. I wasn't thinking about basic geometry, I was just trying to follow the tutorial. I'm not sure what I backed out of though...I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing.

Bill