Jupiter and IO October 18th 2022

Let's see your sketches!
Forum rules
"We love seeing your work and welcome any and all sketches on this forum, but please note whether your sketch is a through-the-eyepiece sketch or your rendition from an existing image / painting."
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Jupiter and IO October 18th 2022

Post by John Baars »

Attached is another sketch of Jupiter. On the 18th the seeing was not really good, but that funny chain and two festoons were , together with the transit of IO once again reason to make a little sketch.

Initially, the seeing left much to be desired. Magnification dropped along to 100X. Because you do have a sharp image at that magnification, but miss the finer details ( that chain and the festoons, for example) a bit, I ended up taking 150X. This not only made the image darker and a bit less contrasty ( it's like self-flagellation) but I also had to wait longer for quiet moments to catch details ( chain link counting).

The first sketch I left for a few days, I didn't think it was that special either. The image of Jupiter-disc sketched here is from more than 15 minutes before the transit. Later I thought it would be a nice idea to include the observed transit of IO. As a result, the picture is actually incorrect, since at the time of the beginning of the transit the orb had already turned a little further.... Fortunately, as a sketcher you can ignore that when it comes to a nice enjoyable picture.

While observing, I switched the location of the barlow a few times: before and after the Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector. With an ADC corrector, the smallest possible f-number is actually necessary (f/21), so first the barlow and then the ADC. But this turned out to be too high a magnification in combination with the Leica ASPH zoom. So I reduced it a bit: first the ADC and then the barlow. As a result the light cone will be f/7.5 for the ADC, but f/15 for the eyepiece. According to the manual, the ADC then works less well; this is barely visually perceptible. With a camera you will probably be punished.
Jupiter 18-okt-2022 (2) - kopie.jpg

Enjoy!
John
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Jupiter and IO 18th october 2022

Post by messier 111 »

superb sketch , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great sketch John. I assume Io is the tiny bulge/speck on the left hand side of the planet?
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

helicon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:56 pm Great sketch John. I assume Io is the tiny bulge/speck on the left hand side of the planet?
Thanks, yes it is.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Jupiter and IO October 18th 2022

Post by Bigzmey »

Great sketch John! I have not seen details like these in years due to bad seeing.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Jupiter and IO October 18th 2022

Post by John Baars »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:51 pm Great sketch John! I have not seen details like these in years due to bad seeing.
Thank you.
In that case, I think your SV102 with BBHS diagonal,combined with the XWs and Delites are best suited to beat seeing. As a refractor the SV is the least sensitive to seeing, colorfast images and a lens diameter large enough for details.

I must honestly say that the ADC goes a long way. Without ADC those red and blue images fluttering over each other, with ADC they are neatly laid on top of each other, also makes a huge difference in the calmness and contrast of the image.
A sketch is actually a sum of short good seeing moments. When I have finished all the details of a sketch, sometimes I am surprised by the overall picture too.