What has happened with the Explore Scientific love?

Discussion of optical systems and their characteristics.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What has happened with the Explore Scientific love?

Post by Bigzmey »

I had a couple of ES APO fracs in the past. If you re-grease, tune up and use them gently ES focusers work fine for visual purpose. The weak spots were flimsy screws and soft metal on the rotation collar. I can see people running into issues if they use heavy EPs or cameras. But then most mass produced scopes come with very basic or subpar focusers.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:39 pm I had a couple of ES APO fracs in the past. If you re-grease, tune up and use them gently ES focusers work fine for visual purpose. The weak spots were flimsy screws and soft metal on the rotation collar. I can see people running into issues if they use heavy EPs or cameras. But then most mass produced scopes come with very basic or subpar focusers.
The AR152 I bought from lowjiber featured a replacement focuser, a moonlite one which works great.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Unfortunately Moonlite only caters to the AP crowd now. They will not even repair a manual focuser now.
Due to this I had to purchase a different brand for the C6-R and Antares.

Since I do not use the rotation feature on any of my telescopes I never had issues with that.
Screws loosening was a issue when first shipped but once tightened all was good.
My only complaint was the serrated Teflon sliders, the drawtube was much more secure once these were replaced with solid strips of PTFE.

One of the complaints was that the drawtube was to short for visual so adapters had to be used.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:39 pm The weak spots were flimsy screws and soft metal on the rotation collar.
I agree with that one. My rotation collar metal is dented.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:44 pm Unfortunately Moonlite only caters to the AP crowd now. They will not even repair a manual focuser now.
Due to this I had to purchase a different brand for the C6-R and Antares.

Since I do not use the rotation feature on any of my telescopes I never had issues with that.
Screws loosening was a issue when first shipped but once tightened all was good.
My only complaint was the serrated Teflon sliders, the drawtube was much more secure once these were replaced with solid strips of PTFE.

One of the complaints was that the drawtube was to short for visual so adapters had to be used.
Speaking of rotating it does do that. That might be an annoying feature actually. You can see the red moonlite focuser on my avatar picture. Being as I don't know what the original OEM focuser was like it's hard to say. I can say that I like the focuser on the 102 XLT better.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Your Moonlite rotates Michael?

If the stock XLT focuser is better than the Moonlite, the Moonlite definitely needs some work.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:56 pm Your Moonlite rotates Michael?

If the stock XLT focuser is better than the Moonlite, the Moonlite definitely needs some work.
It could be just a personal preference for R&P over Crayford focusers. While I am using GSO Crayfords on a couple of my scopes, I also prefer the feel of R&P. Too bad there are no helical R&P focuser upgrades in the mid price range.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I have an ED127 and ED152 that I both love. I've bragged about them in the past so no need to keep it up. As others have mentioned, a few years back E.S. was very competitive in quality/price but these days they are the same as W.O., SharpStar, SkyWatcher and Askar and a multitude of other companies. There's nothing these days that make them stand out among all the others.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

I love Explore Scientific for the community support, innovative development and low prices. Scott Roberts always visited the RTMC with his crew and provided the rather significant main prizes of which I won one, an ED127CF. Later on, I bought some more products from them: The MN152 (a 6" Mak-Newt), a Nano mount, an ED80 (80 mm triplet) and a 2" field flattener.

The MN152 is probably my most favorite telescope developed by Scott Roberts and David Levy. It has a flat imaging plane, no correctors required. Here is a nice video with Woodland Hills about its history and features: . My images are modest but note that J Thommes produced many impressive images with it. Unfortunately, it is not produced anymore.

BTW, The video mentions lifetime support. This means that if you happen to drive over your telescope, Explore Scientific will replace it with a new one if you send them the broken parts. I haven't tried this yet and hopefully never will. I also don't know how they would do this for scopes that are no longer produced.

Another interesting product is their PMC-Eight controller that is used with their Exos and Losmandy mounts. I watched their development early on at the RTMC when it just got started. They had several parallel cores controlling the steppers. It has a decent user community though I don't think it ever took off. Nevertheless, it takes a significant effort to develop such a system with a server and several full featured clients. These monolithic control systems probably try to do too much and include features for which there are other hardware independent systems. Here's a link: https://explorescientificusa.com/collec ... %20clients. The Exos mounts are relatively cheap, early versions are hit and miss but they should be mature now. I have always been curious about an Exos-2 with PMC-8 but never bought one yet. I doubt if it can compete with OnStep in combination with Ekos.

Their eyepiece offering is also quite famous, good quality and much more affordable than the high-end brands. Enough to love I think.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Back on the focuser discussion for my experience.
When I first received my ES ED102, the R&P focuser was pretty sloppy. Lots of loose movement and the fine focus knob slipped pretty badly.
A quick email to tech support was all that was needed. A simple adjustment was all that was needed to re-engage the fine adjustment.
As far as the overall focuser, they sent me this document to tighten it up (like night and day).
Rack and Pinion Focuser Adjustments.docx
(633.76 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Made a huge difference and I have since disassembled the focuser, cleaned and regreased, re-assembled, and adjusted. The focuser has functioned perfectly for AP for many years. I use it with an ASI EAF with excellent performance.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:31 am I love Explore Scientific for the community support, innovative development and low prices. Scott Roberts always visited the RTMC with his crew and provided the rather significant main prizes of which I won one, an ED127CF. Later on, I bought some more products from them: The MN152 (a 6" Mak-Newt), a Nano mount, an ED80 (80 mm triplet) and a 2" field flattener.

The MN152 is probably my most favorite telescope developed by Scott Roberts and David Levy. It has a flat imaging plane, no correctors required. Here is a nice video with Woodland Hills about its history and features: . My images are modest but note that J Thommes produced many impressive images with it. Unfortunately, it is not produced anymore.

BTW, The video mentions lifetime support. This means that if you happen to drive over your telescope, Explore Scientific will replace it with a new one if you send them the broken parts. I haven't tried this yet and hopefully never will. I also don't know how they would do this for scopes that are no longer produced.

Another interesting product is their PMC-Eight controller that is used with their Exos and Losmandy mounts. I watched their development early on at the RTMC when it just got started. They had several parallel cores controlling the steppers. It has a decent user community though I don't think it ever took off. Nevertheless, it takes a significant effort to develop such a system with a server and several full featured clients. These monolithic control systems probably try to do too much and include features for which there are other hardware independent systems. Here's a link: https://explorescientificusa.com/collec ... %20clients. The Exos mounts are relatively cheap, early versions are hit and miss but they should be mature now. I have always been curious about an Exos-2 with PMC-8 but never bought one yet. I doubt if it can compete with OnStep in combination with Ekos.

Their eyepiece offering is also quite famous, good quality and much more affordable than the high-end brands. Enough to love I think.
I wonder if the lifetime support also includes tripods. I have the Twilight II and unfortunately it was damaged when I moved. Took awhile to notice it because one of the dovetails no longer holds and the support bracket got bent. Anyway the tripod is probably not really necessary to hold the scope's weight I mean for the XLT.
-Michael
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:30 pm It could be just a personal preference for R&P over Crayford focusers. While I am using GSO Crayfords on a couple of my scopes, I also prefer the feel of R&P. Too bad there are no helical R&P focuser upgrades in the mid price range.

Not the same, but I'm using a WO diagonal with helical foucser with my ST102 with stock R&P. The R&P usually gets me to good focus, but the WO gives me a little finer control. I want to try it on my ST120 once I take off the GSO 2-speed and put the stock R&P back on it.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

helicon wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:04 pm I wonder if the lifetime support also includes tripods. I have the Twilight II and unfortunately it was damaged when I moved. Took awhile to notice it because one of the dovetails no longer holds and the support bracket got bent. Anyway the tripod is probably not really necessary to hold the scope's weight I mean for the XLT.
Give them a call or shoot email what worse would happen? My experience with their customer support was quite favorable.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Maybe Scott was a bit over-enthusastic about the warranty, or I misunderstood what he said. Here's the link about their warranty, it is quite different from how I interpreted what he said in the video.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:30 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:56 pm Your Moonlite rotates Michael?

It could be just a personal preference for R&P over Crayford focusers. While I am using GSO Crayfords on a couple of my scopes, I also prefer the feel of R&P. Too bad there are no helical R&P focuser upgrades in the mid price range.
I also prefer R&P, I struggle to get the Crayford to work properly on my Orion 80ed, especially with 2" EPs.
I do realize of course that the Crayford on my Orion is pretty much a low budget assembly.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Once I had the hex-focuser set up on my Bresser 102/ 1350 it was very smooth and worked well. No issues with it.
Gabrielle
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

The focuser on my 102mm XLT actually is easier to use than the AR152 focuser, snaps to a sharp focus. The Moonlite kind of mushes through focus area and requires a lot of turning of the knob.
-Michael

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

helicon wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:47 am The focuser on my 102mm XLT actually is easier to use than the AR152 focuser, snaps to a sharp focus. The Moonlite kind of mushes through focus area and requires a lot of turning of the knob.

In my experience with GSO Crayfords you need to have tension tighter than on R&P, otherwise there is some slipping. It should feel like there is a bit of restriction to turn.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

helicon wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:47 am The focuser on my 102mm XLT actually is easier to use than the AR152 focuser, snaps to a sharp focus. The Moonlite kind of mushes through focus area and requires a lot of turning of the knob.
Do you mean using the course focuser or fine focus knob?
It almost sounds like it is slipping a bit.

It could just require a cleaning of the flat surface on the bottom of the drawtube.
Some people claim that polishing the flat with a paste car wax also helps add a bit of stitction to the flat and keeps it from slipping.
When set up properly a Moonlite should pull a 2.3 kg (5 lb) load straight up with only slight use of the tension adjuster.
Gabrielle
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I think I mean the coarse focuser. I do recall now that there is a fine adjustment knob but I've had a tendency not to use it. Thanks for the tip!
-Michael