Fooled by Aldebaran (a true beginner's story)...

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ewomack United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Fooled by Aldebaran (a true beginner's story)...

Post by ewomack »

Yesterday evening, I looked at Stellarium and saw the Moon and Mars in an irresistible alignment. The temperature had fallen to 35°F and I had just returned a little exhausted from a marathon mall emergency phone repair, so my motivation energy reserves to gather stuff up and trudge outside sat somewhere close to zero Kelvin. Then the desire to find and see Uranus, and to see Mars and maybe other planets again, reanimated my brain and motor skills. After examining Uranus's relative position to other land/skymarks, I went outside, like usual, armed with 25x70 binoculars, a tripod, and a cellphone. Right away to the north-northeast, I saw a very luminous waning gibbous Moon with a tiny speck of Mars dangling at about a 45° angle below. I took a very washed out photo of the duo, more as a keepsake than as anything astronomically useful.
Moon03_Oct2022.jpg

Then I did my best to capture the Moon with the less than optimal tools that I possessed. As usual, the results turned out "okay."

Moon02_Oct2022.jpg

Then to Mars. I had a questionable experience seeing Mars back in August. Unlike Jupiter and Saturn, how does one truly know that Mars, and not a star, looms in the field of view? This time, though, I knew Mars sat beneath the Moon, so I assured myself that, finally, without question, that I saw it. I gazed for a while at the moon (which looks really great in the 25x70s) and its temporary planetary friend. Mars looked identical to what I had seen previously as "Mars," but I soon found out the true deceptive depths of visual memory.

Next, remembering where Stellarium depicted Uranus's relative position to the Moon and Mars, I remembered that the Pleiades sat between them. Surely I could find that famous star cluster without incident? Uranus sat just a few degrees up from it. But I didn't see it. Not with the naked eye nor with a scan in the binoculars. The Pleiades seemed to have vanished. Confused, I spotted a very bright object a decent distance to the right (south) of the Moon and Mars. It looked like a planet to me. It had that "I'm a planet" glow that I thought I knew by now. At the time, it didn't occur to me that Uranus would never shine that brightly in the sky. I looked at it in the binoculars. It still looked like a planet to me. Something in my tired brain assured me that I had found Uranus. In the binoculars, a triangle of stars appeared below the bright object. I just needed to remember that pattern and look back at Stellarium to confirm. I saw exactly the pattern below.
PeskyAldebaran.jpg
PeskyAldebaran.jpg (3.2 KiB) Viewed 379 times

Having looked at the sky for almost 40 minutes, cold began to grip me a bit, but Jupiter shone so brightly and deliciously overhead that I had to take a look. All of the Galilean moons appeared, two on each side. I greatly underestimated its high angle and had to crane my neck almost to whiplash and kneel in penance before my tripod to see it. It was worth it. Saturn didn't glow as temptingly, so I headed indoors for warmth.

Once inside, brimming with anticipation, I brought up Stellarium and zoomed to Uranus. Of course the pattern I saw appeared nowhere near the planet. Confused, I zoomed out and noticed a very bright star (magnitude 0.85) pretty much where I had seen the bright object outside. Sure enough, I zoomed into it, Aldebaran, and saw the exact pattern above. Instantly, I knew that I still had no idea how to distinguish planets from bright stars. How the not so mighty fall.

On the upside, the situation presented me with my first star-hopping failure, and I learned a lot from it. Having looked at mostly easy to find objects, I need to have a few fails with more challenging objects to get better at this. So I hope I have one of them out of the way. The next time I look for Uranus (hopefully soon), I will make a map of the star patterns around it so I can have some assurance that I'm looking at a planet and not at some random star that I stumbled upon. In the end, though I didn't find Uranus, I still saw plenty of other great things and had a great time looking upward. And I've learned to value and embrace learning experiences, even embarrassing ones, through the years. In retrospect, they are the most effective way that I've really and truly learned things in the past.
Last edited by ewomack on Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Fooled by Aldebaran (a true beginner's story)...

Post by Bigzmey »

That's great experience! You have learned first hand that to positively ID celestial target one need to confirm that you are in the right field of view (star pattern) and that your target is in the right position relative to the field stars.

And that's the trick finding Uranus. It will be just like a star among the other stars in the field. Once you confirm that you are in the right field, spotting it will be easy.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261