Looking for a Refractor

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Looking for a Refractor

Post by The Wave Catcher »

helicon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:50 pm Thanks Steve. I have not tried that yet. Will have to give it a go. I suppose the effect basically is to increase the focal length.

Yes, but focal ratio, not focal length. Another way to look at is that the outer portions of the lens have to do the most bending of light and therefore have the most chromatic error. By using only the center, sweet portion you get a much cleaner image. With my f/4.5 achromat (I know, horrors!), the improvement is dramatic at high powers, effectively an f/7.65. At low powers I don’t need the mask. I’ve taken some good planetary photos using a simple SV305 camera while using the mask.
Last edited by The Wave Catcher on Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

helicon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:50 pm
The Wave Catcher wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:53 pm
helicon wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:37 pm Good luck with the choice. I only have a 6" Achromat. It's fine for DSO's visually but not perfect for planets. I've been thinking of getting a Mak for planetary work. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If you haven’t done so already, you may want to try an aperture mask. I use a 60 mm mask with my el cheapo 102 mm Bresser achromat refractor and it turns it from a wide field comet hunter into an “APO like” planetary scope for visual use. At high powers, the resolution with the mask seem greater than without because if all the colors don’t focus at the same point, things aren’t sharp either.
Thanks Steve. I have not tried that yet. Will have to give it a go. I suppose the effect basically is to increase the focal length.
Not at all. The focal length is a fixed attribute of the objective. Decreasing the aperture increases the F ratio just like a longer focal length does, which is more forgiving of imperfect optics. For planetary work the diameter is important because the resolution depends on it - more so for perfect optics than with imperfect achromatic optics. This is why you get the best planetary images with 14" scopes and higher. I presume that this is what you meant to say, I am just trying to be clear so as not to confuse novices who may believe that this is a trick to increase the focal length. Use a Barlow for that.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:01 pm

If you haven’t done so already, you may want to try an aperture mask. I use a 60 mm mask with my el cheapo 102 mm Bresser achromat refractor and it turns it from a wide field comet hunter into an “APO like” planetary scope for visual use. At high powers, the resolution with the mask seem greater than without because if all the colors don’t focus at the same point, things aren’t sharp either.
Thanks Steve. I have not tried that yet. Will have to give it a go. I suppose the effect basically is to increase the focal length.
Not at all. The focal length is a fixed attribute of the objective. Decreasing the aperture increases the F ratio just like a longer focal length does, which is more forgiving of imperfect optics. For planetary work the diameter is important because the resolution depends on it - more so for perfect optics than with imperfect achromatic optics. This is why you get the best planetary images with 14" scopes and higher. I presume that this is what you meant to say, I am just trying to be clear so as not to confuse novices who may believe that this is a trick to increase the focal length. Use a Barlow for that.
Gotcha.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Any set of lenses placed together produces colour blur.
When you use a aperture mask you are comparatively extending the focal length but what you are actually seeing is a reduction of the colour blur through the smaller aperture.
The light cone is still at its native length, you are just looking through a smaller area of it.

That is a bit of a poor example and there are formula to figure out how much blur a objective produces compared to another. (refractive index)
It affects resolution and contrast though and focal length affects the amount produced as well.
It has been a long day but I can write something up later if anyone is interested.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Barlow increases focal length, but it does not address CA and other aberrations which fast achro optics has. Stopping down aperture reduces CA and cleans the image. It does reduce resolution, but to take an advantage of large aperture on planets you need a night of perfect seeing which are far in between.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
planecrazzzy United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

You guys are making me Dizzy
But dizzy is fine
I was up ALL night , then it dawned on me...
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

planecrazzzy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:21 pm You guys are making me Dizzy
But dizzy is fine
We are just getting started! :lol:

Read about apodizing masks, they work the same as using a aperture mask and will probably explain what is happening easier.
I use a apodizing mask with my 150mm f/8 for planetary and doubles.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:01 pm Read about apodizing masks, they work the same as using a aperture mask and will probably explain what is happening easier.
I use a apodizing mask with my 150mm f/8 for planetary and doubles.

I learned a new word today, “apodizing”. :D It makes perfect sense!
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Dang I stopped my 20x80s down with perforated cardboard. Had I known the word "apodizing" I could have sold them for $300 a pop I bet. Just imagine, apodized skymasters!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I really wonder about you men at times :lol:
https://csastro.org/a-do-it-yourself-apodizing-mask/
Gabrielle
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

No Doubt , She's good...
Gotta Fly...
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

It's in the delivery "Window"... but didn't make it before the weekend.
Probably Monday. :sprefac:
https://optcorp.com/products/explore-sc ... gKtNvD_BwE
Gotta Fly...
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

My NEXT refactor will be an 80mm,
That puts me in low to medium range...

Both should grab and go easy...

That would be 4 scopes ( 5 really , but we won't count the 90mm spotting scope )
Both should be good for Visual and AP
This was a pretty interesting video...tech at times...stuff I'll know more about later.

This was another one about the ES 102mm. :popcorn:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I am not sure what you mean by low to medium range?
Gabrielle
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

Focal and FOV...?
Gotta Fly...
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

You do not know either? :lol:

Focal ratios of f/10 and longer are slow telescopes, f/7-f/9 are mid range, f/5- f/6.5 are fast, anything below f/5 is very fast.
Slow telescopes have a narrower view compared to faster telescopes.
FOV is determined by okular field stop or camera sensor size.
Gabrielle
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

Still haven't re ordered the 102mm yet.
It's close to the holidays... waiting for sales...
Found one that has 20% off ( $239 ? ) but an oddball company...

B&H will price match... So they said.
They gave me some code that wouldn't enter.... to find out how much discount...
So I called , took a while to find it... their best try was $100 bucks off.
i'll wait more.

kind of disappointed they didn't match the price
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:16 pm It does reduce resolution, but to take an advantage of large aperture on planets you need a night of perfect seeing which are far in between.
Not really. Good seeing yes, perfect seeing, not really. This is the whole point of "lucky imaging", it does not require perfect seeing.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

JayTee wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:16 pm It does reduce resolution, but to take an advantage of large aperture on planets you need a night of perfect seeing which are far in between.
Not really. Good seeing yes, perfect seeing, not really. This is the whole point of "lucky imaging", it does not require perfect seeing.
I guess good vs perfect is relative, depending on your local conditions. At my desert location I can hardly ever push any scope productively above 150x and at that power larger aperture (9.25" vs 4" in my case) just adds more glare. Also, I am talking about visual, imaging could be different.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:40 pm Also, I am talking about visual, imaging could be different.
You and I are in complete agreement. Planetary / Lunar AP does not require the same level of good/excellent seeing that visual observing does.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."