John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Science night in Rijswijk, Netherlands

Post by John Baars »

Once a year we have Science Week. All kinds of institutions open their doors to the public then. On Saturday night, we conclude with the Night of Science. Obviously, public observatories are open to the public then. And so the Rijswijk observatory was also open.

We received about 40 people, ranging in age from 8 to 70. Twenty visitors to begin with, later it became forty. The large 14 inch telescope was aimed at M13. On the observation terrace, our 130mm Astrophysics, along with other telescopes, was focused on Saturn and Jupiter.

As an opening, there was a talk by me about the invention of the telescope by Hans Lipperhey, preceded by my "birth" as an amateur on the roof of my parents' house. On the attached slide you can see that fragment of the "roof story" I always start with the ominous words: " When I was 15 years old my mother always heard, when it was clear, footsteps on the roof". The effect on the youngest audience is great: a deep silence always falls. Great is the relief when my mother discovers that it is me there on that roof and that she agrees to let me do this more often from now on, as long as she is informed.
wetenschapsnacht 2022.JPG

For the Lipperhey demonstration I have a youngster from the audience judge whether you get a nice image with two simple lenses in your hands. So, no. Then I put them in a tube and reduce the aperture (the Lipperhey solution). Suddenly an acceptable image does appear. Everyone in amazement. The step to Gallilei, Huygens and more modern telescopes is then easily made.

The observing dome was filled in four shifts with 10 people at a time. On the observing terrace the "oh's" , "ah's" and "wows" flew through the air. Some thought we had stuck a picture in front of the refractor. But also the amazement about the moons and cloud bands of Jupiter was great. As was awe at the large globular cluster M13.

Except for one small incident everything went well. A little boy thought he had to climb into the telescope to see his own reflection. :shock: :laughing-rolling: ( result: telescope out of alignment, a startled telescope mountaineer, no damage but 10 minutes of re-alignment delay) No harm done. The audience went home satisfied. They happy, we happy.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Science night in Rijswijk, Netherlands

Post by Unitron48 »

Great outreach! Well done!! Love to see the youngsters participating. Too few these days, I'm afraid!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Outstanding John. It is wonderful that you have such opportunities to reach out to the local community and impress upon them the historical aspects of astronomy, coupled with your own personal experience as a young astronomer all those years ago. In particular the inclusion of the children who are so impressionable. Well done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Lipperhey
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great story John and sounds like it was a great learning experience for all!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

This sounds like a wonderful evening John, good that you could share the time :)
I also started viewing from the roof with my grandfather when I was 8. Very good memories.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice outreach John! I observed from the balcony in our apartment, not the roof when I was a kid. Not for the lack of trying, though. It just for some weird reason management of our apartment building always locked the access to the roof. Adults. :roll: :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:33 pm Great outreach! Well done!! Love to see the youngsters participating. Too few these days, I'm afraid!!

Dave
Thanks, as you can see half of the public consisted of youngsters :-)

kt4hx wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:54 pm Outstanding John. It is wonderful that you have such opportunities to reach out to the local community and impress upon them the historical aspects of astronomy, coupled with your own personal experience as a young astronomer all those years ago. In particular the inclusion of the children who are so impressionable. Well done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Lipperhey
Thanks, as long as one creates a nice , safe environment and brings the historical events vividly, people become interested.
helicon wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:26 pm Great story John and sounds like it was a great learning experience for all!
It sure was for several youngsters, they learned that their grandparents used coal to warm their houses with and only had two TV channels (black/white) They never had realized that. It was a bigger eyeopener than Lipperhey:-)
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:31 pm This sounds like a wonderful evening John, good that you could share the time :)
I also started viewing from the roof with my grandfather when I was 8. Very good memories.
Thanks, it was a great evening. It seems more amateurs are born on roofs of parents or grandparents, very nice!
Bigzmey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:27 pm Nice outreach John! I observed from the balcony in our apartment, not the roof when I was a kid. Not for the lack of trying, though. It just for some weird reason management of our apartment building always locked the access to the roof. Adults. :roll: :D
Thanks! I used to do it on the balcony too, until I discovered that on the roof I didn't look directly in the streetlantarns. So actually I was 14 when I started. My mother didn't know of my nightly balcony sessions. When I dared to climb on the roof, she found out. So I let my amateur career start there.
Without knowing she herself instigated my climbing. One stormy afternoon our TV-antenna was rattling to the chimney, so I offered to have a look and repair. Since I had seen my father doing the same once before, I knew how too. She didn't hold me back for she didn't want my father (coming home late and tired from work) up there in the growing storm in the night.:-)
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I am impressed John. I didn't know you were into lecturing on astronomy.

Great session with a wide age group of interested people.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Well done John: sounds like a good night all round! It is interesting that some people thought you had put a picture in front of the scope: I have heard the same comment many times when people get their first view of Saturn in particular! The beauty of planetary (Saturn and Jupiter anyway) and globular viewing with a scope for the public is that they do look like the on-line images they see, unlike the less spectacular views of nebulae or galaxies.

Keep up the good work!

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi John. An superb report on the science night at Rijswijk. This was a great community outreach event that was well attended and enjoyed by all. The planets are always great targets as folks are aware of them yet are dazzled by a view in a telescope. And it is no surprise that the globular cluster M13 also drew a lot of attention. When I was in my mid teen years, I had a 3" Tasco Newtonian telescope and I used to out onto the second floor deck of our house to have a wider field opening of the sky. Thanks for your excellent report John as it was well written and a fun read.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 am I am impressed John. I didn't know you were into lecturing on astronomy.

Great session with a wide age group of interested people.
Thanks. On average nine times a year. Most of the time on instruments and their use though.
DeanD wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:31 am Well done John: sounds like a good night all round! It is interesting that some people thought you had put a picture in front of the scope: I have heard the same comment many times when people get their first view of Saturn in particular! The beauty of planetary (Saturn and Jupiter anyway) and globular viewing with a scope for the public is that they do look like the on-line images they see, unlike the less spectacular views of nebulae or galaxies.

Keep up the good work!

- Dean
Thank you. Yes, Saturn in particular, I think because Saturn is more rich on contrast than others. They are amazed too by the experience of looking at the planets with their own eyes: "This is real!!"
Makuser wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:05 pm Hi John. An superb report on the science night at Rijswijk. This was a great community outreach event that was well attended and enjoyed by all. The planets are always great targets as folks are aware of them yet are dazzled by a view in a telescope. And it is no surprise that the globular cluster M13 also drew a lot of attention. When I was in my mid teen years, I had a 3" Tasco Newtonian telescope and I used to out onto the second floor deck of our house to have a wider field opening of the sky. Thanks for your excellent report John as it was well written and a fun read.
Thanks. The view of M13 in a large telescope is rather stunning. When we have clear skies the real thing with her sparkling hundreds of stars is more spectacular then a photograph in a book. At least I think so.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That is awesome John; good for you! That is a funny story about the mirror, hopefully no damage done.

I commend your efforts, and glad you had some youth there as well. I remember showing my neighbours Saturn through my old 8" dob several years back, and one lady asked me how I was doing that... :lol:

Nice report and thanks again :D

All the best my friend,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report and outreach. Sometimes bringing that many folks together can be a real watershed moment, and it sounds like your talk was very well received. Definitely worthy of a VROD for the effort!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:10 pm That is awesome John; good for you! That is a funny story about the mirror, hopefully no damage done.

I commend your efforts, and glad you had some youth there as well. I remember showing my neighbours Saturn through my old 8" dob several years back, and one lady asked me how I was doing that... :lol:

Nice report and thanks again :D

All the best my friend,
Thanks, our 14 inch telescope in the dome is a SCT. The boy grabbed the edge of the corrector and tried to look in the scope, while jumping up. The telescope swinged down of course. No harm, no damage done. The boy was startled and the scope out of alignment.
helicon wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:22 pm Great report and outreach. Sometimes bringing that many folks together can be a real watershed moment, and it sounds like your talk was very well received. Definitely worthy of a VROD for the effort!
Thank you for the VROD!
I always put humor in my talks. And I keep them short. The lower concentration zone of the audience starts at 20 minutes, with interactive actions one can stretch that a bit. But thirty minutes is the limit.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:33 pm Great outreach! Well done!! Love to see the youngsters participating. Too few these days, I'm afraid!!

Dave
And congrats on your VROD!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

A well deserved VROD. Well done John.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Congratulations John on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:05 am

Dave
And congrats on your VROD!!

Dave
Thanks, Dave!
kt4hx wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:42 am A well deserved VROD. Well done John.
Thank you Alan!
Butterfly Maiden wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:52 am Congratulations John on receiving the TSS VROD award for your effort.
Thanks, Vanessa!
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Great read, John! Enjoyed the narrative of the night's outreach immensely! :) Many thanks on writing it up and a (belated) congrats for the VROD!
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.