Problems With Accurate SSlewing After PA

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Problems With Accurate SSlewing After PA

Post by hatflyer »

After I polar align with EQ mount (AZ-GTi), the slew to my first target is way off (e.g 40+ degrees), even tho mount/camera were aligned to north star after polar alignment. Alignment is set to where Alt is my latitude and Az is 0 (and DEC = 90, RA=0). It was close to that even before polar alignment started. Any idea why? I expect it to be off, which is why u need camera alignment, but by so much?

I use EQMOD to connect and NINA.

And if successfully slew and center with plate solve, the indicated Az/Alt is still way off (it is not re-set to adjust to the corrected position); will NINA know to set tracking rate to the centered object, or will it track using the faulty current Az/Alt coordinates?

Thanks.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Problems With Accurate SSlewing After PA

Post by Gordon »

Make sure you are using conventional mapping units degrees, minutes and seconds. Rather than Decimal GPS coordinates.

This website can help.

https://gps-coordinates.org/coordinate-converter.php
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I want to make sure that you are using the correct nomenclature.

A polar alignment PA is when you physically move the mount so that the R.A. axis points to the NCP.

A goto alignment is where you use alignment stars and your time, date, and location so the HC can build an accurate Sky Map so that it knows where to point the telescope based on the object you've requested to view.

To get your best and most accurate setup, most of us do the following routine:
A rough PA ( physically setup your mount as best you can so it points to the NCP), followed by a two-star goto alignment, then back to refining your PA, and then a final two or three-star goto alignment to correct the movement created by the final PA.

I know it sounds confusing and a lot of work, but after you've done it a few times it shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes. Some of this can actually be done before it gets fully dark.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

JayTee wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:18 pm I want to make sure that you are using the correct nomenclature.

A polar alignment PA is when you physically move the mount so that the R.A. axis points to the NCP.

A goto alignment is where you use alignment stars and your time, date, and location so the HC can build an accurate Sky Map so that it knows where to point the telescope based on the object you've requested to view.

To get your best and most accurate setup, most of us do the following routine:
A rough PA ( physically setup your mount as best you can so it points to the NCP), followed by a two-star goto alignment, then back to refining your PA, and then a final two or three-star goto alignment to correct the movement created by the final PA.

I know it sounds confusing and a lot of work, but after you've done it a few times it shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes. Some of this can actually be done before it gets fully dark.
Yes, got all that. You are talking of using Synscan? Had issues there as well. I like the 3-point plate solve in NINA.

Does it matter if 1 star is on the opposite side of the meridian? I think with 2-star Synscan yes, they have to be on the same side, but NINA no. Anyway, my polar alignment is very accurate. It's the star alignment that isn't.

To use Synscan, u need to see the live view on the camera so u can center objects? Can't do that when camera is connected to the laptop. If I disconnect it, then re-connect I have to shut down NINA and re-boot, or it doesn't connect to my camera. Not sure what is lost when I shut down NINA and re-start.

Actually, if I part the mount, I can try PA with NINA then star align with Synscan with disconnecting the camera. Then park and re-start NINA with camera back connected.
Last edited by hatflyer on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Now that we're talking about a plate solve with N.I.N.A., that's a whole different ball game. It's also a very accurate ball game. A 1 star go to alignment should be sufficient to get you close enough to your object wherever it is in the sky to let N.I.N.A. plate solve for it. This should, in theory, give you your best go to alignment.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

hatflyer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:12 pm After I polar align with EQ mount (AZ-GTi), the slew to my first target is way off (e.g 40+ degrees), even tho mount/camera were aligned to north star after polar alignment. Alignment is set to where Alt is my latitude and Az is 0 (and DEC = 90, RA=0). It was close to that even before polar alignment started. Any idea why? I expect it to be off, which is why u need camera alignment, but by so much?

And if successfully slew and center with plate solve, the indicated Az/Alt is still way off (it is not re-set to adjust to the corrected position); will NINA know to set tracking rate to the centered object, or will it track using the faulty current Az/Alt coordinates?

Thanks.
You didn't mention doing a goto alignment. Without it, you can expect slews to be off.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:43 pm
hatflyer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:12 pm After I polar align with EQ mount (AZ-GTi), the slew to my first target is way off (e.g 40+ degrees), even tho mount/camera were aligned to north star after polar alignment. Alignment is set to where Alt is my latitude and Az is 0 (and DEC = 90, RA=0). It was close to that even before polar alignment started. Any idea why? I expect it to be off, which is why u need camera alignment, but by so much?

Thanks.
You didn't mention doing a goto alignment. Without it, you can expect slews to be off.
That's what the step of slew and center is to do in NINA. The equivalent of a go to alignment. That is off, so I help it get to the target properly with the directional keys, and plate solve, but after that the next target is way off again. And Az/Alt still off.
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

I use APT I always platsolve and sync mount from within one hour of the celestial equator never platesolve near the North Star region , ivo from Apt told me this and makes my Goto++ more accurate and centres in less steps since taking this advice I’ve never had any issues .
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Probably a dumb question, but you do have the “SYNC” button on in NINA plate-solving?

I don’t use Synscan myself. I use Cartes du Ceil to goto targets when I wast to slew “manually”. Gets me close.
Then, I use NINA plate-solving to center and sync to the target. I usually only use Cartes du Ceil when I want to manually slew and sync, manually focus, calibrate PHD2, or kill time waiting for my target to rise.

Mostly, I just power everything up, connect all equipment to NINA (I know that you use EQMOD, I use GreenSwampServer) start a sequence in NINA and the mount slews to the target, plate solves, centers, and syncs. It then runs an autofocus. That’s it.
Good luck!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/