NGC 2169

Let's see your reports!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

NGC 2169

Post by pakarinen »

Scanning at random in the area near Xi Ori this morning with my ST80, I ran across a chain of stars somewhat reminiscent of Kemble's Cascade. As I followed the chain, I noticed a little clump of stars at one end. Turns out it was NGC 2169. :grin:

It's a nice looking little cluster, even though somewhat sparse and compact:
Inked17317.jpg
NGC 2169.jpg
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: NGC 2169

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice Olen. Your description reminded me of some of my observations of this field over the years, so looking back through my records, I extracted the below observation that was made while on a business trip in February 2017 near the equator. I was using my ES ED80 refractor for this obseravation. The chain of stars you mention and I talk about below is the asterism known as Persson 1. Here were my impressions nearly six years ago.

Persson 1 (Orion, Asterism, size=70.0’x15.0’):

By the time I could get out, most of Orion was trying to hide in the trees to the west, as well as basking in the glow from town as if working on his tan before turning in for the night. But Betelgeuse was still easily visible, so I directed my attention about 8° NNE to mag 4.5 Xi Orionis and sighted in with the Rigel Quikfinder. This asterism highlights the flaws of how open clusters and asterisms are plotted in atlases and software. It is plotted as a 70.0’ circle, but it is not perfectly round as it has a minor axis of 15.0’ running east-west.

But for purposes of this observation I included the area bounded by the plot in Interstellarum (IDSA). Viewing initially with 27x I counted about 15 stars scattered around the large field, though its truly main feature is a curved east to west trickle of stars that extends for over 1° culminating with the cluster NGC 2169, aka the “37 Cluster”. I have observed this cluster previously from home with more aperture and it did indeed resemble those numbers in an abstract way, though not quite as much in the 80mm. In this case it was more of small clump or knot of stars. Xi Orionis was clearly the dominant star in the field though technically not part of the true asterism here. Other than this very obvious east-west zigzag line of stars (which was easily seen in the 10x50 binoculars) and Xi, the field was mostly sparse. Looking at 40x I added a few dimmer stars to the lot, but at 71x I had over 30 stars now in the view, with NGC 2169 opening up a bit more and other little pinpricks of light starting to pop through across the field. This was quite an interesting and pretty field to start for my session. Because the string of stars ended at the open cluster, it reminded me of a horizontal Kemble 1 (or Kemble’s Cascade) in Camelopardalis, which pools up in the open cluster NGC 1502. Personally I prefer Kemble’s Cascade through the eyepiece, but this one was still a very curious field indeed.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice catch Olen!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice observation.
Now, that is a beauty! Have to see that one. I added it to my "to observe" list.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'll have to take another look to see if I can see the 37. :grin:
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Recovery.
I did see it. But because of a different orientation, I didn't recognize him. I even made a little sketch of it :oops:
NGC2169 Januari 2022 Final .jpg
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.