Using ApT

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Using ApT

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there

I have just brought a new camera for when I start guiding….I wondered if anyone can help me I want to use my camera for taking small exposures on APT I have looked on YouTube but no tutorials for that…I know how to connect my camera but when I take a image and point the camera to window by just testing if it’s all set up probably I see no image I wondered if anyone can help me with the settings and how to see my image on screen….thanks

56E78352-13CB-4D4A-B35E-FB0623CEBA8C.jpeg

Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Using ApT

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Sorry I want to use it without guiding
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:30 am Hi there

I have just brought a new camera for when I start guiding….I wondered if anyone can help me I want to use my camera for taking small exposures on APT I have looked on YouTube but no tutorials for that…I know how to connect my camera but when I take a image and point the camera to window by just testing if it’s all set up probably I see no image I wondered if anyone can help me with the settings and how to see my image on screen….thanks

Rhoda
Are you just pointing the camera towards the window by itself? It needs a lens to form an image. Unlike ordinary consumer cameras, astro cameras do not have lenses. The telescope becomes the camera's lens. So, you will need to connect it to your telescope in order to see an image.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

Have you installed the zwo drivers etc ?is this going to be your main imaging camera , what is the setup mount , camera , software etc .
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

UkDave wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:19 pm Have you installed the zwo drivers etc ?is this going to be your main imaging camera , what is the setup mount , camera , software etc .
yes i have installed the drivers and yes it is going to be my main camera it is a zwo asi183mc pro, my mount is a skywatcher mc 35 pro.. and the software i am using is apt...i can get the camera to connect i just want to use apt for short exposures with my new camera for now up to 2 minutes and i just need to no how to set up apt as theres no youtube videos to show me what i need to do they are all for guiding..thanks hope you can help

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:29 pm
Mirrorgirl wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:30 am Hi there

Rhoda
Are you just pointing the camera towards the window by itself? It needs a lens to form an image. Unlike ordinary consumer cameras, astro cameras do not have lenses. The telescope becomes the camera's lens. So, you will need to connect it to your telescope in order to see an image.
i have a planetary zwo camera and when thats connected and i point it to the light the screen lights up i don't understand why this one won't like i say its just to test it before i go out

UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

So open Apt press shift and connect camera up pops camera type box choose zwo as in my picture then in right hand box choose your camera it should be listed if connected to pc ,APT does have a very good comprehensive manual and pretty much answers any questions you may have https://astrophotography.app/usersguide ... 3D&mw=MzM1
Scroll to bullet point no7 hope this helps 👍.
Attachments
237BCB15-4161-4DE2-B5BE-122B1DC42F21.jpeg
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

UkDave wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:06 am So open Apt press shift and connect camera up pops camera type box choose zwo as in my picture then in right hand box choose your camera it should be listed if connected to pc ,APT does have a very good comprehensive manual and pretty much answers any questions you may have https://astrophotography.app/usersguide ... 3D&mw=MzM1
Scroll to bullet point no7 hope this helps 👍.
Thanks Dave that’s really helped…just one more question how do you put in continuous shots in apt don’t worry if you don’t no I’m sure someone will you have been a great help thanks so much for taking your time out to help me much appreciated.

Regards
Rhoda :)

UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

You set a plan info here , basically you choose create new lights plan , press edit and choose exposure length , gain ,offset (I use unity gain 100 , 10 offset , yours may be different , how many name plan , etc then save plan , I usually take 120 sec exposures so name my light plan 120 sec lights , have a play read through the manual and setup during the daytime get everything working saves a lot of frustration, so cool your camera etc so you know how that works set a plan up and set 1sec exposures and test it works.
Also the Apt forum is very good for info and ivo will help with any questions, I had the pleasure of meeting ivo this year when the attended an astro fair here in the Uk , such a nice guy and very passionate about APT. .

https://astrophotography.app/usersguide ... 3D&mw=MzM1