Observing Report for 19 September 2020 - a fine night two years ago

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 19 September 2020 - a fine night two years ago

Post by kt4hx »

Well here we are two years in the past. This is the first night of three sessions at our dark site house over the period of 19 – 21 September 2020. These reports were not filed in the forum at that time for reasons not remembered. Therefore this is the first time that this particular session has been posted to the Reports Forum. I did post the third night’s session already about a week ago since I was unable to get over to the dark site house for any observing. (Link to 21 September 2020 report: viewtopic.php?t=26952)

This past Saturday I injured my right leg (knee and ankle) in a fall at home and certainly will miss the current dark period during this lunar cycle (but hopefully no more than that). So because I will be unable observe for a bit I decided to post the results of those first two evenings of that three night run on the same dates two years hence. Though I got a late start this first evening due to a later than normal departure from home, the outing still went very well. I hope you join me on this journey and look back at what turned out to be three great evenings of galaxy hunting – the meat and potatoes of my observing passion.

17.5 inch f/4 dobsonian
ES 82 18mm (110x, 0.7° TFOV, 4.0mm EP)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm EP)
XW 10mm (198x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm EP)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm EP)

UGC 10599 (Hercules, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.3):
Also known as Markarian 501 is a blazer or BL Lacerae object with an AGN (Active Galactic Nucleus) emitting a gamma ray jet toward Earth. Observed with 84x and 152x it presented a small and dim round halo with the AGN appearing as a distinct stellar core that clearly outshone the galactic disk. Not significantly bright overall, yet not difficult. Here is a link with more information about this curious object: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markarian_501 (New)

NGC 6257 (Hercules, spiral galaxy, mag=15.1, size=0.8'x0.3', SBr=13,4):
Visually detected at 110x as a very dim and diaphanous small oval glow. Going ahead to 198x it remained quite weak and homogeneous. Though it was visually dim, I was not aware at the time of the posted visual magnitude, and thus conditions were obviously starting out very well indeed. (New)

MCG +7-35-15 (Hercules, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
Picked up at 110x it presented a very small and round homogeneous dust mote just northeast of an 8th mag field star. Viewed with 198x it was easier, but still weak overall. It displayed some modest core brightness at 198x. (New)

MCG +6-37-19 (Hercules, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.9, size=1.1’x 0.7’, SBr=14.4):
Though it was picked up at 110x, it was just barely there as a small rounded pip just north of a 14th mag field star. Even at 198x it remained small and pretty weak visually, as well as homogeneous in appearance. (New)

NGC 7361 (Pisces Austrinus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=3.8’x1.0’, SBr=13.5):
Also known as IC 5237, it was picked up at 110x as a weak small homogeneous sliver. Using 198x it remains a little dim to the eye and displayed an elongated central lens of brightness within the disk. (New)

ESO 597-23 (Capricornus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5~, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=14.3):
ESO 597-26 (Capricornus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=12.4):

This was a pair of very similar looking galaxies in terms of brightness and size. At 110x both were rounded and homogeneous to the eye, with both being a little bright. ESO 597-26 was slightly smaller but there was little difference in them. At 198x they remained, while not exactly twins visually, very similar to the eye. (New-2)

NGC 6986 (Capricornus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0'x0.6', SBr=12.8):
Initially unseen at 110x it was picked up at both 152x and 198x where it was a small and subtle homogeneous oval just northwest of a small grouping of 11th and 12th field stars. I then dropped back to 110x and could just make out its presence after affixing its position at higher magnifications. (New)

IC 1336 (Capricornus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=13.0):
Not seen at 110x and only suspected at 152x and 198x. Using 283x it was confirmed as a small and homogeneous dim oval. I found this one a bit tough. (New)

IC 1339 (Capricornus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.4’x0.9’, SBr=13.4)
Picked up at 110x it presented a small homogenous dim oval. Though easier at 198x it remained a weak object in the field.(New)

IC 1337 (Capricornus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.8’x0.6’, SBr=12.7):
Seen at 110x as a small and dim homogeneous rounded glow. As with the previous object it was slightly easier to discern at 198x, it remained a weak player. (New)

NGC 608 (Triangulum, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=0.8'x0.5', SBr=12.2):
Moving over to the celestial triangle, I found this small homogeneous oval to be a little bit bright to the eye at 110x. Using 198x an intermittent stellar core was spotted, and overall the galaxy was a strong player in the field. (New)

NGC 614 (Triangulum, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.4'x1.4', SBr=13.3):
Since it was nearby I visited this previously observed object. At 110x it was small and round, homogeneous to the eye and somewhat bright.

NGC 579 (Triangulum, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size= 1.1'x1.0', SBr=13.3):
NGC 582 (Triangulum, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=2.2'x0.6', SBr=13.3):

These two spirals were found in the same field of view and both presented at 110x as slightly bright and small. NGC 579 was more rounded while NGC 582 was more elongated. Both were evenly illuminated. At 198x they were both obvious and dominated the field. Overall they were very similar in visual brightness and size. (New - 2)

UGC 1125 (Triangulum, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.3):
At 110x this spiral was small and dim. Oval in shape it was homogeneous to the eye. Viewed with 198x it was easier to pick up but remained weak within the field. (New)

NGC 587 (Triangulum, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=2.2'x0.8', SBr=13.3):
Found with 110x it was small and elongated. Slightly bright it was generally homogeneous to the eye. With 198x it displayed a broadly brighter core area that was intermittently stellar. (New)

NGC 669 (Triangulum, spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=3.2'x0.6', SBr=12.8):
This edge-on spiral was swept up at 110x and presented as a little bit bright, elongated and homogeneous. Viewed with 198x, it revealed an obvious elongated edge-on disk with tapered ends. The core revealed broader brightness, with just a fleeting indication of a stellar core within. (New)

NGC 816 (Triangulum, compact galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.6'x0.5', SBr=12.7):
Located using 110x, it presented a small and out of round diffuse dust mote. Even at 198x it remained a weak presence immediately north of a dim 14th mag field star. (New)

NGC 819 (Triangulum, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.6'x0.4', SBr=11.7):
Within the same FOV as NGC 816, it too was dim but easily the brighter of the pair. Small and oval in shape it was homogeneous to the eye. With 198x it was more obvious though still not strongly present. (New)

NGC 807 (Triangulum, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.8'x1.3', SBr=13.4):
Small and oval at 110x, it was a little dim and just south of a 14th mag field star. With 198x it was more obvious, but remained a little weak for its listed magnitude. (New)

NGC 805 (Triangulum, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.1'x0.8', SBr=13.2):
Very small and slightly dim to the eye, it was a homogeneous oval at 110x. It lay just east of a wide pair of 14th mag field stars. Viewed at 198x it remained weak and diffuse, but more obvious to the eye. (New)

NGC 784 (Triangulum, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=6.6'x1.5', SBr=14.1):
Fairly bright and quite elongated at 110x. Overall it was somewhat large and homogeneous to the eye. Viewed with 198x it was strongly obvious as a large and ghostly spindle of light. (New)

That is the wrap on my first evening of three. I hope you enjoyed traipsing along with me through a dark rural sky as I hunted and found my favorite type of deep sky objects – galaxies. They are far and away the most numerous class of DSO up there, ranging from bright to eye straining dim to simply beyond reach visually. Though uniquely challenging for the observer, they are infinitely rewarding as one tries to come to grips with the enormous time and distance their light has traveled to reach our eyes in that special moment. Thank you for reading along, and see you tomorrow with the next evening’s report.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 19 September 2020 - a fine night two years ago

Post by Bigzmey »

Too bad about the leg, Alan. I wish you speedy recovery! Take plenty of rest, don't rush it. There are plenty of galaxies to go around. :)

Saying that, nice collection of galaxies there!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:50 am Too bad about the leg, Alan. I wish you speedy recovery! Take plenty of rest, don't rush it. There are plenty of galaxies to go around. :)

Saying that, nice collection of galaxies there!

Thank you Andrey. I am moving around better today, albeit slowly. I feel that as each day goes by, things will loosen up more. Just one of those unfortunate (and stupid) things that happen once in a while.

I have no fear of running out of galaxies by any means. :) I will post the second night of that outing tomorrow on its two year anniversary as well. That night was indeed an epic outing!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great past session and report, Alan! Sorry to hear about your fall and leg injury. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:56 am Great past session and report, Alan! Sorry to hear about your fall and leg injury. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. As they say, getting old isn't for wimps! :)

That three nights two yeas ago was an outstanding time, and one of the best runs I'd had over at the other house. Fond memories indeed.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I got a little more curious about the first object I observed this session, UGC 10599 or Markarian 501. It also carries the primary catalogue identifiers MCG +07-35-002 and PGC 59214. It can also be found listed under a large number of designations related to numerous studies. The following linked article is about a long term study of this blazar by a team of astronomers from Switzerland and Germany.

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-astronome ... arian.html

As the article states, "blazars are very compact quasars associated with supermassive black holes (SMBHs) at the centers of active, giant elliptical galaxies." Additionally, they have "relativistic jets pointed almost exactly toward the Earth."

This object has a redshift of 0.034, which calculates out to a distance of 468 MLY, if the calculator I utilized is correct. In looking at this object in the SDSS DR16 database and using the green and red magnitudes to calculate the visual magnitude, I get a result of 13.7. This differs from my listed mag of 13.3, found in one of my primary online sources. That same source listed the angular size as 1.1'x0.9'. Using that and the magnitude I calculated yields a surface brightness (SBr) and got 13.4, versus the posted 13.3. Close enough for govt work as they say. I have found that there are almost always some modest variations between different sources in terms of magnitude, angular size and resulting surface brightness when it comes to galaxies. So I always take the data with at least a modest grain of salt.

For illustrative purposes, here is the SDSS image from their DR16 database:
Markarian 501.png
Anyway, blazars are fascinating objects and sometimes it is interesting to delve a little deeper into the objects we observe. :)
Alan