Planets, Nebulas, and Clusters

Let's see your reports!
Shelby United States of America
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Planets, Nebulas, and Clusters

Post by Shelby »

I finally got some clear moonless skies here again, so I took the opportunity to my best advantage and had quite a little session out there last night.

I started off by looking at the majestic planet, Saturn. This planet is always a stunning sight to see with the brilliant rings around it and as always, it didn't fail to impress me. It was just as beautiful as ever. I used my barlow set to 2x and my 10mm eyepiece to get the best view of it. It was definitely a good place to start off the night. I could the brightest moons of the planet off to the sides of it as well.

Next, since I was the area, I decided to look at the Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009) in Aquarius. I just looked at Saturn, so why not look at the nebula named after it. This nebula was very tiny and really only appeared as a fuzzy star even in the 10mm eyepiece. I used the Barlow to try to zoom in on it, but it wasn't bright enough. Still a nice sight anyway.

Next, I decided to revisit a target from my last session in Scutum, the Wild Duck Cluster (M11). This star cluster has a lot of dim stars in it that are pretty close together. In the 10mm eyepiece, it was a very beautiful sight to see. Dozens of stars were visible and it was quite a sight. I'm glad I came back to it, it was definitely worth a second look. I will probably be remembering that one for a repeat target later.

Next, I went to the globular cluster, NGC 6712. This one really just appeared as a fuzzy blob with no detail at all, I couldn't see the red color of the stars in it either. It was very cometlike in appearance. I didn't spend a lot of time here.

Next, I went down to the star cluster NGC 6611 and the Eagle Nebula (M16) in Serpens. The star cluster was easily visible, but the nebula was barely visible, but I could still tell that it was there. There was a very faint hint of nebulosity around the stars in the area. It was worth looking at for sure.

Next, I moved to the near by cluster NGC 6618 and the Omega Nebula (M17) in the edge of Sagittarius. The star cluster was nothing special but it was easily found. The impressive site here was the Omega Nebula, which was clearly visible as a cloudy patch against the stars, it was one of the most impressive sights of the night. A good target to look at for sure.

Next, I moved to the Little Gem Nebula (NGC 6818). This nebula was very tiny and almost starlike in appearance even in the 10mm eyepiece. I could easily tell it was different, but the little in the name is very accurate to describing it's appearance. It is a tiny fuzzy blob. I tried finding the nearby Barnard's Galaxy, but I was unsuccessful in doing that.

Next, I moved to the Dumbbell Nebula (M27) in Vulpecula. This one was hard to point at being so high in the sky, but it was an impressive sight once I found it. It does have an appearance of a Dumbbell in some ways that I could see as well, so the name is accurate. It was a decent sized fuzzy patch with some shape to it. It was definitely worth looking at.

Next, I went over to Lyra, and looked at the bright star Vega, one of the brightest stars in the north. It was a very bright and beautiful gem like point of light in the sky. Bright stars always look really nice. It had light spikes around it from the brightness of it.

Next, the reason I went over to Lyra, the Double Double star. The two pairs of stars were easily seperated from each other as pairs, but the individual pairs were much harder to split, in the 10mm eyepiece, I could just barely tell that they were two seperate stars. I used the barlow set to 2.5x and the 10mm to split the stars better, which made it much easier to identify them as two seperate stars. They were pretty nice to look at, and a good test for vision sharpness.

Next, since I was already in Lyra, I decided to look at the Ring Nebula (M57). This one was not very bright, but was easily spotted. It had a clearly distinguishable ring shape as the name implies. It was a pretty sight to see in the 10mm eyepiece. I might come back to this one again.

Next, I went to the Owl Cluster (NGC 457) in Cassiopeia. It was a pretty neat clusters to look at, it did have a shape to it that vaguely resembled an owl, so the name is pretty accurate. It was a nice sight to see.

This next one is the one I was anticipating all night. The brilliant planet, Jupiter. Jupiter is at its closest distance to us in over 70 years, so I knew I had to get a look at it, and it was definitely worth the time I spent staring at it in amazement. I used my barlow set at 2.5x and the 10mm eyepiece. This produced a view that was truly amazing to look at. Jupiter appeared very large in the view, and the cloud bands on the planet were easily visible with good clarity. It was an unforgettable moment seeing it like that. The four galliean moons Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto were also visible in the view, with three of them close to the planet and one of them much farther away. This was the most impressive sighting of the night by far.

Next, I moved to the planet Neptune, which is nearby Jupiter in the sky right now. It appeared as a starlike point, not really showing a disc or anything.

There was nothing special to see there, so I went back to Jupiter. This time my mom came out to look at Jupiter with me, and then my sister came out to look at it later on. They were both impressed by the view as well, and both pointed out the cloudbands and the moons around it. We all had fun on that one.

That brings an end to my report, I had fun out there last night, except for the mosquitos, but oh well, it was worth it. I hope you enjoyed reading my report as much as I enjoyed seeing all those sights out last night. It was nice.
My scopes: Sky-Watcher 150p (6") Classic Dobsonian (main scope), iOptron SmartStar N114 with GPS (not really used anymore)

My eyepieces: 25mm Skywatcher Plossl, 10mm Skywatcher Plossl, 25mm unknown brand, 9mm iOptron Kellner.

Filters: AstroZap Baadar Solar Film Filter for my SkyWatcher 6 inch, 6" OD Seymour Solar film filter for the N114

Camera: My smartphone

Comets: 19
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Planets, Nebulas, and Clusters

Post by Ragilmer »

I spent some time getting lost in the Omega nebula last night too—it really is a great target right now!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent session Shelby, and very nicely written report. To help better resolve nebulae I recommend using nebula filters. UHC filter is the most versatile.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session and read, Shelby! Lots of interesting objects. Jupiter is really looking massive!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice session with the 6" Dob, Shelby! Great that you were able to share the view of Jupiter and its moons with your mom and sister.

Not sure what kind of Barlow you use, but I have a 2x Orion Barlow, which I unscrew the top part off to get 1.5x. I also have another 2.5x GSO Barlow, which I can unscrew the top part off to get 1.75x. I almost never use this 2nd Barlow though.

Your report reminded me I should take a look at Neptune and possibly Uranus this week.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice report Shelby and thanks for taking us on a tour of the summer sky. Your impressions of what you can see through your 6" scope are right on. Of the ones you looked at one of my favorites is the Omega nebula since it shows up pretty well even with some light pollution. Congrats on earning the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Really great report! I enjoyed reading that. I miss not being able to see some of the lower Messier objects in Sagittarius like M16 and M17.. Virtually impossible from here. Jupiter is truly excellent right now and just praying for excellent seeing conditions to really take advantage!
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Shelby. A very nice observing report using your 6" Dob telescope. Starting with a great view of Saturn, I next enjoyed following your journey to many DSO objects. Thanks for your well written and fun read report Shelby and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Excellent reporting Shelby. You viewed a nice mix of objects in between the mosquitoes. :)

I will add to the good advice that Andrey (Bigzmey) gave about the filters. A narrow-band nebula filter will work wonders for emission nebulae and do a very good job on planetary nebulae. However, not all filters labeled as UHC (Ultra High Contrast) are equal. There are some being sold as LPR (Light Pollution Reduction) types of UHC filters. Those are wider pass band filters aimed at reducing the impact of LP. For visual use they are only subtly effective, being of more use to those that image. There are others simply labeled as UHC (and in the case of Baader, as UHC-S) that simply have very wide pass bands and are not very effective for nebulae. For visual use I can strongly recommend the DGM NPB filter. I also own the Orion UltraBlock (another narrow-band model). As long as the UHC filter has a pass band in the 20nm to 30nm range, it will be more effective.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 pm Excellent reporting Shelby. You viewed a nice mix of objects in between the mosquitoes. :)

I will add to the good advice that Andrey (Bigzmey) gave about the filters. A narrow-band nebula filter will work wonders for emission nebulae and do a very good job on planetary nebulae. However, not all filters labeled as UHC (Ultra High Contrast) are equal. There are some being sold as LPR (Light Pollution Reduction) types of UHC filters. Those are wider pass band filters aimed at reducing the impact of LP. For visual use they are only subtly effective, being of more use to those that image. There are others simply labeled as UHC (and in the case of Baader, as UHC-S) that simply have very wide pass bands and are not very effective for nebulae. For visual use I can strongly recommend the DGM NPB filter. I also own the Orion UltraBlock (another narrow-band model). As long as the UHC filter has a pass band in the 20nm to 30nm range, it will be more effective.
Agreed, Orion UltraBlock and DGM NPB if buying new. Or on the used market one can pick Lumicon UHC or Astronomik UHC.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:03 am Great session and read, Shelby! Lots of interesting objects. Jupiter is really looking massive!!

Dave
And congrats on a well deserved VROD!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.