Basic Question

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Basic Question

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

I was doing some stargazing last night, specifically looking at Jupiter. I was taking videos to stack on Registax with my camera, an Orion Starshoot USB eyepiece Camera II. I then had a crazy idea with interesting results.

My camera is equal to about a 5mm eyepiece. This gives me a magnification of 180x with my F/11.25 telescope. My crazy idea was to add a 3x barlow to the camera and see what would happen.

I took a video before doing this, and saved it. then I tried my idea. I got it into focus as best I could. Then when I was done, I stacked both videos separately, then added them together.

This is the result side by side:
Barlow vs no barlow.
Barlow vs no barlow.
Now my question. What happened? Why does it seem like my no barlow picture of Jupiter has more detail than the barlow picture?

I am not really understanding this, can someone help me out?

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Basic Question

Post by KathyNS »

To see if it was just the image scale, I reduced the barlowed image 3x. Aside from the colour cast, the difference in detail is less than it seemed on first glance. There is still some difference, but this could easily be attributed to a change i seeing conditions.
Untitled.png
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. I’m just wondering if I over magnified the image.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

You may have hit a limit to the maximum useful magnification for the given seeing conditions and/or limitations to your telescope. More magnification will alway make the images larger, but at some point the ability to see more details is not increased. If 5 mm is the most power that the currents/setup can take, then adding a Barlow just makes a larger image and more glass for the light to have to go through.

Sometimes I find that a Barlow is useful for increasing the power of a lower power eyepiece that may have a nice field of view. However, using that Barlow on my shortest focal length eyepiece seldom brings more pleasurable results.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

The Wave Catcher wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:46 am You may have hit a limit to the maximum useful magnification for the given seeing conditions and/or limitations to your telescope. More magnification will alway make the images larger, but at some point the ability to see more details is not increased. If 5 mm is the most power that the currents/setup can take, then adding a Barlow just makes a larger image and more glass for the light to have to go through.

Sometimes I find that a Barlow is useful for increasing the power of a lower power eyepiece that may have a nice field of view. However, using that Barlow on my shortest focal length eyepiece seldom brings more pleasurable results.
Interesting. I guess I learned something today. Thanks for the input.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Think of it this way, your telescope aperture will only allow a certain number of photons in at any given time. In a smaller scale the sensor sees a condensed image with those photons and it produces a rather crisp image. When you add the barlow and you multiply that image by 3x you are now producing a bigger image with the same number of photons spread across a larger area. Your sensor does the best it can but the limitation is in the number of photons that your aperture collects.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

JayTee wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:23 pm Think of it this way, your telescope aperture will only allow a certain number of photons in at any given time. In a smaller scale the sensor sees a condensed image with those photons and it produces a rather crisp image. When you add the barlow and you multiply that image by 3x you are now producing a bigger image with the same number of photons spread across a larger area. Your sensor does the best it can but the limitation is in the number of photons that your aperture collects.
I see now, thank you very much.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

@JayTee I actually just finished processing a picture of Mars I took last night with the same set up. I got some interesting detail. If what you say is true about the photons, then shouldn’t it affect the Mars and Saturn photo I took recently? I seemed to get pretty good detail on both of those. It seems to be just Jupiter I am struggling with.

Then again, Jupiter was on the horizon, and my telescope was out of focus when I took that picture, it turns out. Mars and Saturn were higher up and in better focus when I took these pictures.
0CE58649-74AE-42F8-9FC0-A716A66226CC.jpeg
0CE58649-74AE-42F8-9FC0-A716A66226CC.jpeg (4.93 KiB) Viewed 751 times
A7140166-6E88-4177-89FD-9AC1286E54C2.jpeg
It could be seeing conditions also, but I could be wrong.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

My answer was the basic physics answer. The problem we're dealing with now is that there are so many variables in planetary Imaging that are both seen and unseen. For example, most planetary imagers do not process their video in Registax6. We use AutoStakkert3 first then we take that result and put it through the wavelets function of Registax this is how you'll get the best image possible from the video you took.

Have you reviewed my Astro imaging software post in the software forum? Not the Astro software forum. I really should move that over to the correct spot.

Just moved it.

viewtopic.php?t=523
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

JayTee wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:46 pm My answer was the basic physics answer. The problem we're dealing with now is that there are so many variables in planetary Imaging that are both seen and unseen. For example, most planetary imagers do not process their video in Registax6. We use AutoStakkert3 first then we take that result and put it through the wavelets function of Registax this is how you'll get the best image possible from the video you took.

Have you reviewed my Astro imaging software post in the software forum? Not the Astro software forum. I really should move that over to the correct spot.

I’ll take a look at it in just a little bit. I’m a little busy at the moment. I will also keep trying to get better pictures of Jupiter with this set up. If it gets down to it, I will switch to a 2X Barlow and see what happens.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead