Let's see your reports!
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Good Skies and Good Company at Congaree

Post by Ragilmer »

Congaree National Park, 9/17/2022, 8:00-10:30 PM

Last night I took the AD10 out to a darker sky site at Congaree National Park with my friend Jim (who brought his XT6). We arrived right before it got dark and set up in a meadow in the middle of the Longleaf Campground (for anyone local, the park is open 24 hours and the rangers told me you didn’t need a camping permit or anything to come use the meadow at night—unless you actually plan to camp). As soon as it got dark the Milky Way was easily visible from tree line to tree line. It’s class 4 skies there, but I would guess it’s closer to 3 than to 5 (at home is 5 in one direction and 4 in the other).

I’d gotten my new RACI finderscope Thursday and had aligned it at home, but either I didn’t do a good job or it had gotten bumped out of place along the way, but I had to fiddle with it for for a minute before getting it all lined up via Saturn. Saturn looked pretty great again tonight, with the equatorial banding very clear and the Cassini Division easily visible.

I had a whole slew of targets in Sagittarius I was hoping to hit, but some of the lower globulars were still blocked by the trees. I viewed M28 and M22 again (but for the first time with this scope) and then began working my way up from there checking out several clusters and nebulae. I moved from Lagoon (M8) to Trifid (M20), both of which were readily apparent and Trifid showed some dark dust bands separating areas of brightness. I moved from there to Web’s Cross (M21) a small bright patch with a sprinkling of stars.

From there I repositioned up to M25 and then hopped to M18 (both nice open clusters) and then landed on the Omega Nebula (M17). This was one of the highlights of the night—it was a prominent area of illumination with a horizontal dust cloud very apparent across its center. I then hopped up to the Eagle Nebula (M16), which showed some glow and hints of structure, but was lacked the “pop” that Omega had.

Next I moved out of Sagittarius and on to some other targets. I viewed Andromeda (M31—along with M32 and M110) which was much brighter than with the XT6 and showed some hints of outer structure. I wouldn’t say that I could actually see dust bands, but the shape of the surrounding glow was much easier to see—M110 in particular was also noticeably brighter than with my old scope. I’m looking forward to getting some time with Leo and Ursa Major for some more galaxy hunting in the future!

From there I checked out the Great Cluster of Hercules (M13) both to see it from a darker site and to let my friend Jim check it out in the 10”. It was high overhead and the more I looked the more stars I could resolve. I tried to spot the Pinwheel Galaxy (M101), but it was right around the tree line (and sky glow of Columbia), so I wasn’t able to spot it. I also tried for Triangulum (M33), but it likewise was fairly low to the tree line.

By that point both Jim and I started having issues viewing and we realized that we must have hit the dewpoint because everything was suddenly wet with condensation (including the lens on the finderscope). I slewed over to Jupiter to try and close the night out on it since it had risen up—and we were able to get some nice views of it still, but the dew was definitely causing some interference (I was getting a view through the EP that almost looked like I was looking through a straw at one point).

Even with that, I could definitely see much more detail in Jupiter than I’d been able to see with my 6” scope. The equatorial bands were always present before, but now I could make out more fine details of some swirls and variations within the banding. The GRS didn’t seem to be facing me, but there was lots of other nice detail to make it a fun object to close the night on.

A couple of takeaways from last night—Congaree is really not too far away, so I should make a point to get back out there more often. We were already talking about bringing our families out there to camp so that we can stay out later (and can let the kids play with the scopes before bedtime and then have more time for serious observing). The other one is that I see now why people are using dew shields. We were cracking up about how quickly it went from totally fine to totally wet, so any suggestions y’all have on remedying dew would be appreciated .

Photo via Iphone 13Pro towards Sagittarius:
B26D6B3C-B5C7-4572-AEBD-80F3773E31D8.jpg
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Good Skies and Good Company at Congaree

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session...and very nice report! Sounds like the AD10 and Congaree are made for each other! Looking forward to more reporting!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Very nice report, looks like you’re knocked off a lot of targets in one night!
I also have the AD 10 and love it !
I’m down in the Myrtle Beach area but have yet to take my scope to a dark site !
Im in a Bortle 4 area but the lights from town (Conway ) kill a certain section of the sky for me .
Oh BTW I can relate to the condensation and dew issue, it happens here way more often than not !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Rob! Having access to a dark site is a great boost to the hobby. With Bortle 3-4 sky thousands of targets are within the reach of your scope.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Such a fine outing Rob, and glad you were able to get away from the town lights, which make a huge difference. I am also sure you and your friend saw a distinct difference between his XT6 and your AD10 in terms of light grasp on the same objects. This is particularly noticeable for extended objects such as nebulae and galaxies.

I am not surprised about your initial misalignment of the RACI. I recommend you make it a practice of not aligning your finder until you have your scope deployed at your observing position. Little bumps and jostles while moving them can cause a slight shift during transport. So I always top off my collimation and finder alignment after my scope is placed in its observing position.

Regarding dew, that is unfortunately an all too familiar problem. One can of course employ a dew prevention system with dew straps and controller, plus a power source. One field expedient method I've used is to employ the little hand warmers like Hot Hands that can be gotten at places like Walmart. After activating them I apply one to the dew shield of an RACI using blue painters tape and to the diagonal/eyepiece using the same method. Those don't last forever, but they can certainly give you some more time of clear optics. One can also use a 12v hair dryer for quickly clearing dew from finders. Use it on low and from about a foot away to clear the dew then stop. I also recommend getting a white one so its easier to see and find in the dark. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Sounds like you had a great evening Rob!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Great report and looks like you've got a nicely dark site there for observing with the 10" dob!

I use a dew shield on my 12" rather than heaters. Finderscopes are very susceptible to dew - it's easy to fabricate a dew shield though to insulate and provide sufficient protection. I have a dew strip though for if it's particularly bad I may need to warm it back up again but mainly for eyepieces which can easily get dewed up (I mainly have a problem at closer to freezing temperatures here it seems... Just the scope itself getting wet is not a problem as long as the secondary is not dewing up (as mentioned before a shield can help with this...)
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wonderful report Rob and congrats on the new scope + darker skies, a great combination, as well as earning the VROD for the day.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Congrats on the well deserved VROD Rob.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:59 pm Great session...and very nice report! Sounds like the AD10 and Congaree are made for each other! Looking forward to more reporting!!

Dave
And congrats on your VROD recognition!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Rob. A superb report on your observing session at Congaree National Park with your friend Jim. Wow, I bet that new AD10 scope really pulled in the DSO targets for you. You came away with several Messier objects and a very nice image of Sagittarius with the Iphone 13Pro. Thanks for your great and fun read report Rob and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Ragilmer »

Thanks everyone for the kudos and suggestions! I don't remember ever having a problem with dew before, but it's been a while since I was getting out with much regularity, so I may have just forgotten (plus my old red dot finder was probably a little less susceptible to dew than a finderscope). It turned out the ranger who II talked to at the park about visiting was a former student of mine. I knew she worked there, but I didn't think it sounded like her when I called. Anyway, she saw the picture I posted and is going to try to get out there while we're enjoying this string of clear nights. I made it out again this morning for a quick session with my son, so hopefully I'll have another report up soon.