Let's see your reports!
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

First Light Report--Apertura AD10

Post by Ragilmer »

Wednesday, 9/14/2022, 9-10 PM: First Light Report

I got my AD10 on Wednesday and was able to get it out for a short test run. Assembly was pretty straightforward up until I started trying to use the laser collimator for the first time. Then I’m pretty sure I accidentally made it very out of alignment messing around with it (probably should have watched a Youtube video on laser collimators…). I eventually got out my old eyepiece collimator and used that to get it back in line, then confirmed it with the laser once I better understood what I was doing with it.

Our forecast looked perfect (copied below from this morning, but Wednesday looked the same), but of a blanket of clouds moved in over my house that evening. I was also kind of beat from some work stuff and thought about just trying the next night, but I decided to take it out and see if I could try it out between the clouds. At first it was mostly clouded over, but after about 15 minutes they parted and I was able to get in a quick session to try it out.

First targets, Cassiopeia and Cygnus: At first I just wandered around in Cassiopeia and Cygnus trying to get a feel for the scope and figure out what I was doing. I picked these mainly based on what the clouds would give me at first. In Cassiopeia I stumbled across what I think must have been the Sailboat Cluster, NGC 225. It appeared almost like a somewhat diffuse globular cluster. It didn’t have a distinct core, but had lots of tiny stars clustered together that very clearly popped out in the eyepiece. Once the clouds overhead parted I wandered around Cygnus for a bit and came across the Cygnus Star Cloud.

By that point the clouds had moved out completely and I was just limited by the house and tall trees around my backyard. After looking at some of the Sagittarius globulars Tuesday night I wanted to check out Hercules with the new scope.

M13, Great Hercules Cluster: One major upgrade with this scope was that it came with an 8x50 RACI finderscope instead of the cheap red dot finder I’ve been fiddling with for years. The red dot on mine was constantly going out, so I’d always have to tap it to come on (and then awkwardly bend down to try and line it up). With the finderscope I was able to point it near the right location in Hercules and then voila—I could see the cluster in the finderscope!

M13 of course didn’t disappoint. I started with the 2” 30mm that came with the scope and then worked my way down with the 15mm Luminos and the 9mm Expanse. It stayed bright and crisp through all with each increase in magnification allowing for more stars to be resolved. Every time I changed eyepieces I could just look in the finderscope and immediately get it lined up again. I know that may seem silly, but that really was a revelation!

Saturn: I didn’t want to be out too late, but I also didn’t want to go back in without trying out the new scope on a planet. Jupiter was still too low in the sky (due to my trees), but I was able to get a pretty decent view of Saturn. It wasn’t quite as crisp as the previous night at high magnification, but all the details were still much easier to see. The Cassini Division was just there, rather than something I had to glimpse hints of. The banding stayed very obvious and there seemed to be a bit more differentiation in the colors on the planet as well (I’m colorblind, so who knows which colors, but there were more of them than with the XT6!).

After that I packed it in since I had to get up early the next day for work. I wasn’t able to take it out last night, but I did receive an upgraded finderscope. I’d initially ordered one for my XT6, which got delayed for a couple of weeks and in the meantime I’d decided to just go ahead and get the AD10 too. That original order got cancelled after it never came through (via Amazon), so when I ordered the AD10 I also ordered a Apertura 10x50 illuminated RACI finderscope. Now I can switch the stock 8x50 to the XT6 and I’ll have the 10x50 on the AD10.

Saturday evening I’m planning on taking it down to Congaree National Park for a couple of hours to try it out at a dark(er) sky site. Andromeda was behind the trees Wednesday night, but I can’t wait to see the difference in galactic views in the new scope!

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 5.28.10 AM.png
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: First Light Report--Apertura AD10

Post by kt4hx »

Nicely done Rob. Good to go out with just the idea of getting a feel for a new scope. You may find that having some sort of unity finder in combination with the RACI can be a good I utilize a Rigel Quikfinder and RACI. I use the Rigel to aim the scope at my starting point star, then switch to the RACI for magnified star hopping. You just have to align both to the main scope so your pointing is accurate. Some folks prefer the Telrad over the Rigel, but I've always been partial to the Rigel. Either way, I find using both a unity and optical finder works very, very well.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice Rob!

I had (and miss) a 10" Dob, perfect size!

Some darker skies at Congaree will really really open things up!

I also second what Alan said, a unity type finder really helps with a RACI, a Telrad or Rigel Quick Finder will help out.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

+3 on using the RACI with a Rigel Quik-Finder. Problem I find with the Telrad is that it's relatively heavy, so it makes balance issues even worse. I sold mine to replace it with the Quik-Finder (which weights naff all).

Great first light report though! It will be a heck of an improvement over the 6" for DSOs especially in a darker site.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Rob. A very nice first light report with your new AD10 Dob scope. A nice view of M13 and Saturn on the first night out is a great start. Thanks for your well written first light report Rob and the best of wishes on your trip to Congaree National Park.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Ragilmer »

Thanks y'all! I had read that a lot of people use both something like a Rigel/Telrad along with a finderscope and I can see why. I definitely think the finderscope was a big improvement over just a red dot finder, but without an obvious target it's a little hard to be sure that you have it pointed in the right ballpark. That was part of my issue with Cassiopeia and and Cygnus at first was that I wasn't 100% confident that I was even starting with the correct bright star. With M13 and Saturn it was great--plus it's just like having an extra wide-angle EP :)
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

davesellars wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:06 pm +3 on using the RACI with a Rigel Quik-Finder. Problem I find with the Telrad is that it's relatively heavy, so it makes balance issues even worse. I sold mine to replace it with the Quik-Finder (which weights naff all).

Precisely Dave. The Telrad weighs in at about 10.1 oz while the Rigel QF is about 4.8 oz. Though they are vertically about the same height, the QF takes up much less space on the OTA of the scope. Some folks prefer the Telrad because it has three concentric rings in its illuminated reticle while the QF has only two. But for me personally I do not star hop with the QF, rather it is only used to put my scope on the star where I wish to begin my star hopping process and it works great for that. Then the RACI does the bulk of the work. Lastly, the pulsing reticle option (for those that like that) is standard on the QF, but is an over $20 add-on for the Telrad.

Anyway, lots of folks like the Telrad and I've tried it before. However, I found I much prefered the QF and I use one on all my scopes, 80mm up to 17.5 inch, and have three of them in fact. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the first light Rob! Now that you have a light bucket it is time to start hunting galaxies. :D

As for the finders for me the best combo is red dot + RACI. I tried more sophisticated reflex finders but at the end the very basic red dot works the best for me. I use it for rough navigation and then switch to RACI to zero down on the target.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184603427465?h ... R_id39XpYA
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice first light report! Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Thanks for this report. I have an AD10 on the way, should be here next week, and your report gave me a little insight on the scope.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Congratulations on your first session with the new telescope.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt