PA With Synscan

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

PA With Synscan

Post by hatflyer »

Can I do polar align and track with Synscan via laptop (I have no handheld)? Does it not use plate solving?

Thanks.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: PA With Synscan

Post by SkyHiker »

Generally, yes. Just find a tool that has a virtual controller, does plate solving and supports synscan. For instance on Linux, Ekos can do this, that's what I use.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

It would help if you could tell us the mount you have. Astrotorilla is a plate solving program that works with Windows... I used it for years. More recently I've used NINA which has it's own plate solving. But my Windows AP laptop has lately been having a lot of trouble booting up. I've since gone with the Raspberry Pi4B and now use EKOS as Skyhiker says above. Some mounts can accept a direct connection via USB and others require the use of the hand controller as an intermediary. So it kind of depends on the mount itself.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Star Dad wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:36 pm It would help if you could tell us the mount you have. Astrotorilla is a plate solving program that works with Windows... I used it for years. More recently I've used NINA which has it's own plate solving. But my Windows AP laptop has lately been having a lot of trouble booting up. I've since gone with the Raspberry Pi4B and now use EKOS as Skyhiker says above. Some mounts can accept a direct connection via USB and others require the use of the hand controller as an intermediary. So it kind of depends on the mount itself.
I have the Sky Watcher AZ-GTi. It connects to my laptop via wifi. Will check out Astrotorilla. Having some issues with NINA so looking for something else in case that trouble continues. Thanks.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

hatflyer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:44 pm
Star Dad wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:36 pm It would help if you could tell us the mount you have. Astrotorilla is a plate solving program that works with Windows... I used it for years. More recently I've used NINA which has it's own plate solving. But my Windows AP laptop has lately been having a lot of trouble booting up. I've since gone with the Raspberry Pi4B and now use EKOS as Skyhiker says above. Some mounts can accept a direct connection via USB and others require the use of the hand controller as an intermediary. So it kind of depends on the mount itself.
I have the Sky Watcher AZ-GTi. It connects to my laptop via wifi. Will check out Astrotorilla. Having some issues with NINA so looking for something else in case that trouble continues. Thanks.
APT - Astrophotography Tool There is a free version and a paid version for 18.6 Euro initial then 6 euro a year if you want updates.

APT Forum - Index page There is an actual forum support board, unlike some. Ivo and the community there are very responsive to any issues or questions you may have...
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro