Shall we reboot the AP Processing Challenge

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Shall we reboot the AP Processing Challenge

Post by Jockinireland »

The AP processing Challenge has been in a bit of a hiatus over the summer. Partly as others things got in the way for me and partly because the last few Challenges had not elicited much interest.

So, is there any interest in rebooting the challenge - either in its previous format or differently. (For anyone not aware of the Processing Challenge take a look here viewtopic.php?t=9523)

Post below with your thoughts;

Would you be interested in joining the AP Processing Challenge? What sort of images, BB/NB/Galaxies/nebulae widefield would you fancy. What sort of data, easy/normal/difficult or really challenging? Clean data or data with quirks problems that need specific treatment? Any thoughts on what we could do to make it more interesting? Would there be any interest in setting up an associated zoom call where people could share their processing steps, ask questions about things they struggled with etc.

Let me know below.

If there is interest I'll go out with the begging bowl to collect some data and kick things off later this month.

Take care

David.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
CharLakeAstro Canada
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Shall we reboot the AP Processing Challenge

Post by CharLakeAstro »

I think it is a great idea, as a tool for crowd-sourcing ideas, improving skills and processes by learning what / how others process.

As for specific target types - they all have merit... but, I think "easier" targets are best, because people with less experience will find them less intimidating, and they will be most beneficial as learning tools. I personally am doing quite a lot of SHO and LRGB with mono cameras, but many newbies are not invested to that degree, and are using one-shot color cams, and DSLRs. Perhaps OSC and DSLR images are good areas for a processing challenge?

For example: Bright Nebulae, eg California Nebula (NGC1499), Cygnus Wall, Pleiades (M45), M51, the type of images that people with the least experience might target first.
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Shall we reboot the AP Processing Challenge

Post by Stuart »

I"m back after a long hiatus. Yes, I'd partake.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.