I'm pretty sure I saw Mars...

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

I'm pretty sure I saw Mars...

Post by ewomack »

A few people have warned me that seeing Mars does not compare to seeing Jupiter or Saturn, so I made my way outside a little after midnight on August 27th with lowered expectations. Stellarium showed Mars rising to the northeast, which, in my case, unfortunately meant that I had to deal with some very intense glaring lights from a building down the street. After staring for some time, my eyes must have finally adjusted and I swore that I saw a tiny reddish dot just over a "no U-Turn" traffic sign. In my 25x70 binoculars, the dot did have a slight reddish tint to it, but not strong. More than that, it had that unmistakable "I'm a planet" glow. Apart from it being where Stellarium expected it to be and the glow, I didn't really know how else to verify that I did in fact see Mars. Sadly, clouds hung in the sky not too far over the object, so I could not determine if the Pleiades hovered overhead or not, which probably would have confirmed it. Since Mars has no rings or visible moons, I didn't know how to verify that I actually saw it. Capella sat much higher in the sky further to the north, not obscured by clouds, and it looked and glowed more like a star, so I don't think that I accidentally saw Capella. So, given that, I'm going to say that I likely did see the red planet. If any further viewings contradict what I saw that night, then I'll take it back. But I'm at least 90% - 95% sure that I saw Mars.

Though far less interesting than Jupiter or Saturn, I made a sketch anyway. And I did manage to capture the object with my mobile phone through the binoculars. It doesn't seem to deny or confirm its identity, but it's something, at least.

Mars.JPG
Mars.JPG (20.33 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Mars2.JPG

Whether I saw Mars or not (though I think I did), I still enjoyed the hunt.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I'm pretty sure I saw Mars...

Post by davesellars »

Try it again the next night it's clear with Pleiades a guide to its position to confirm

Do you have the binoculars on a tripod or support?
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mars does have tiny orange disk appearance in binoculars, while stars look like dots. To confirm find two-three bright stars in the sky and see if relative position of Mars matches that in Stellarium.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for the report. It does seem like you might have seen Mars. Aldebaran was also in the area and low in the sky, but it does sound like Mars. Another night viewing would confirm it.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution