Late summer galaxy night

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Late summer galaxy night

Post by Bigzmey »

8/26/2022

Equipment: Celestron 9.25” Edge HD SCT on SW SkyTee 2 manual AltAz mount.

EPs:
Pentax XW 10mm 70 deg (235x, 1.0mm exit pupil, 0.30 deg TFV)
Pentax XW 14mm 70 deg (168x, 1.4mm exit pupil, 0.42 deg TFV)
Pentax XW 20mm, 70 deg (118x, 2.0 mm exit pupil, 0.6 deg TFV)

For the last seven years I have been observing from the Anza dark site which belongs to the Orange County Astronomers club. This is a large plot of land in high desert, and on a typical night I hardly ever run into other observers, unless I specifically look for them. :) This time I was passing by a gentleman setting up for AP. I have noticed how nicely underloaded was his EQ6 mount carrying 6” SCT and stopped to comment on that. Turns out he has just acquired EQ6 and my compliment was much welcomed.

He was surprised that I am doing strictly visual (vast majority in the club do AP only) and tried to convert me telling how automated and easy both data collection and image processing have become. In turn, I explained that I am on the opposite side of the spectrum and prefer doing everything manually. Spending many hours with computers and electronics at work I like to unwind in my pastime. I also mentioned that with my robust manual rig I am on my first target within five minutes and hardly ever have to think about operating my setup, which leaves most time to relax and enjoy observing and stargazing. On the other hand, sounds travels far in the desert and even if I don't see AP guys, quite often I hear them cursing for hours and calling for help from their AP friends on phone or in person while troubleshooting yet another issue. We had a laugh about that, and I have proceeded to my spot to setup the scopes.

Fast forward, few hours later when I was about to wrap up the session, the guy stopped by to check out my setup. He has admitted that he run into some odd issue right from the beginning and spent these hours troubleshooting. That was quite ironic considering our earlier discussion. He thought it has to do with scope collimation. For visual SCT collimation is fast and easy, but since I have no clue how different that for AP, I decided not to rub it in. This was the first collimation related AP issue I heard of. Most often AP guys complain about guiding (or lack of it), followed by connection issues, focusing, darks, flats... You lost me there. :lol: One guy was shooting all night, just to discover that he left the telescope cap on. True story, I swear. :D Anyway, I hope the dude has sorted out his collimation issue. Did not have a chance to talk to him in the morning.

The observing portion of the evening went drama-free. :) The transparency could have been better but was still good enough to pick galaxy after galaxy in a smooth manner. I have started with Delphinus since it was at the right height in the darker eastern portion of the sky. From it I moved down to Equuleus and then Pegasus as constellations climbed with sky rotation. Also saw a couple of bright meteors, one during the twilight.

Delphinus galaxies

NGC 6917 – faint narrow oval (118x).
IC 1320 – very faint oval with AV (168x).
IC 1359 - very faint oval with AV (118x).
NGC 6928 – relatively large and bright oval disk with round core (168x).
NGC 6930 – small faint spot in the same FOV with NGC 6928 (168x).

NGC 6954 – small narrow oval with brighter central area (168x).
NGC 6969 – narrow lens (118x).
NGC 6972 – faint lens (118x).
NGC 7003 – faint small oval (118x).
NGC 7025 – faint glow around stellar core next to bright star (118x, 168x).

Equuleus galaxies

IC 1364 – faint small oval (118x).
IC 1365 – extremely faint glow in the same FOV with IC 1364 (168x).
IC 1368 – FAIL.
IC 1370 – FAIL.
IC 1367 – extremely faint small spot detected with AV by moving EP (235x).
IC 5083 – faint small oval with AV (118x).

Pegasus galaxies

NGC 7194 – small faint round spot (118x).
NGC 7206 – faint round disk with AV (168x).
NGC 7224 – faint wide oval with AV (118x).
NGC 7236 and NGC 7237 – two brighter round cores in the same faint envelope (118x, 168x).
NGC 7241 – relatively large narrow glow bridging two stars, right side brighter with glow decreasing to the left side (118x).

NGC 7244 – extremely faint small spot detected with AV by shaking EP (168x).
NGC 7272 - extremely faint round spot detected with AV by moving EP (168x).
NGC 7286 – faint narrow AV oval (168x).
NGC 7290 – small faint narrow oval with AV (168x).
NGC 7292 – faint wide oval with brighter central area (118x).
NGC 7305 – very faint tiny spec with AV (168x).
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Late summer galaxy night

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice galaxy session Andrey, and I really enjoyed the front story about your AP neighbor in the field. I know you and I share a very common interest in the simplicity of visual and manual observing. It does not surprise me about the person who left their cap on for the whole imaging session. I've heard of that before honestly. If you don't look through the scope, you'd never know for sure. ;) I admire those that take up that avocation, and excel at it, but its simply not what I want out of my hobby. I've done it this way for decades, and admittedly I may well be a dinosaur. But I am happy with that. I don't mind being old fashioned, as it suits me just fine. :lol:

Well done on the galaxies in Delphinus and Equuleus. Neither constellation is a common one for most folks. I did take a look at your two "FAIL" galaxies. I've observed one of those. This is what I noted about IC 1365 about three years ago:

IC 1365 (Equuleus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
About 14.5’ southeast of the previous object I locked down on this elliptical at 110x. It resolved as a very small and dim oval. Homogeneous in appearance, it really didn’t benefit from increasing magnification, remaining weak and diffuse in nature up to 297x.

That of course is with the 17.5 inch. I have not targeted IC 1368 as of yet. Well done, and certainly a lock for a VROD my friend. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nice session. The only difference in collimation for AP and visual could be if there is some sag in the imaging train, I think. When you add weight things can go bendy. The easy fix is to do the collimation exercise with the imaging train in place. But that is more overhead time. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:54 pm Very nice galaxy session Andrey, and I really enjoyed the front story about your AP neighbor in the field. I know you and I share a very common interest in the simplicity of visual and manual observing. It does not surprise me about the person who left their cap on for the whole imaging session. I've heard of that before honestly. If you don't look through the scope, you'd never know for sure. ;) I admire those that take up that avocation, and excel at it, but its simply not what I want out of my hobby. I've done it this way for decades, and admittedly I may well be a dinosaur. But I am happy with that. I don't mind being old fashioned, as it suits me just fine. :lol:

Well done on the galaxies in Delphinus and Equuleus. Neither constellation is a common one for most folks. I did take a look at your two "FAIL" galaxies. I've observed one of those. This is what I noted about IC 1365 about three years ago:

About 14.5’ southeast of the previous object I locked down on this elliptical at 110x. It resolved as a very small and dim oval. Homogeneous in appearance, it really didn’t benefit from increasing magnification, remaining weak and diffuse in nature up to 297x.

That of course is with the 17.5 inch. I have not targeted IC 1368 as of yet. Well done, and certainly a lock for a VROD my friend. :)
Thanks Alan! We might be dinosaurs, but we are happy dinosaurs. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:59 pm Nice session. The only difference in collimation for AP and visual could be if there is some sag in the imaging train, I think. When you add weight things can go bendy. The easy fix is to do the collimation exercise with the imaging train in place. But that is more overhead time. ;)
Thanks nFA! I suspected that there might be more to it. I was also surprised that he intended to shoot Pleiades with SCT, but hey whatever floats your boat! :)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:04 am
kt4hx wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:54 pm Very nice galaxy session Andrey, and I really enjoyed the front story about your AP neighbor in the field. I know you and I share a very common interest in the simplicity of visual and manual observing. It does not surprise me about the person who left their cap on for the whole imaging session. I've heard of that before honestly. If you don't look through the scope, you'd never know for sure. ;) I admire those that take up that avocation, and excel at it, but its simply not what I want out of my hobby. I've done it this way for decades, and admittedly I may well be a dinosaur. But I am happy with that. I don't mind being old fashioned, as it suits me just fine. :lol:

I'm gonna be real happy shortly. At the dark site and I just finished putting my gear out and will be heading outside around 2045 hours to get settled in and wait for astro darkness. I'll see ya later! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:09 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:59 pm Nice session. The only difference in collimation for AP and visual could be if there is some sag in the imaging train, I think. When you add weight things can go bendy. The easy fix is to do the collimation exercise with the imaging train in place. But that is more overhead time. ;)
Thanks nFA! I suspected that there might be more to it. I was also surprised that he intended to shoot Pleiades with SCT, but hey whatever floats your boat! :)
What? The WHOLE Pleiades? Must have a grand focal reducer. ;) Now if only the Merope nebula or some such, then I understand. :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:24 am
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:04 am

I'm gonna be real happy shortly. At the dark site and I just finished putting my gear out and will be heading outside around 2045 hours to get settled in and wait for astro darkness. I'll see ya later! :lol:
Clear Skies!

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice report Andrey. And to be fair 80 percent of our club members are AP only. My ZWO cam has been used a few times, with middlin results. I probably also will remain a visual observer.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Cracking session, Andrey! A really good collection of faint targets - so very productive!

Having previously done the AP side for a year or so with a semi-permanent setup (I did enjoy it at the time due to the technical and post processing requirement called to my nerd tendencies...), However, there's no way I'd venture into doing it out in a remote location... far top faff to setup (imho)! Besides, I gave it up because I got bored eventually and like you I'm working all day on computers. Visual and manual mounts only is where it's at (impossible to get wrong). Only electronics I employ is the occasional dew heater.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Andrey. A really enjoyable observing report from the Anza desert site. And you really grabbed some nice galaxies in Delphinus, Equuleus, and Pegasus. I have done lunar and planetary imaging in the past, but the move to DSO imaging calls for a more expensive camera, more filters, more cables, and lots of clear sky time to collect the data. So include me as a visual observer. While I really enjoy the DSO images on here and can appreciate the expertise and time to produce these, here is a cartoon that illustrates your point about easy visual observing.
Too many cables.jpg

Thanks for your great report Andrey and keep them coming.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Michael, Dave and Marshall! I should add that I have outmost respect for AP folks and have many friends among them. They put in a lot of effort and dedication and turn out stunning images. Just not my cap of tea. :)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

davesellars wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:30 pm Cracking session, Andrey! A really good collection of faint targets - so very productive!

Having previously done the AP side for a year or so with a semi-permanent setup (I did enjoy it at the time due to the technical and post processing requirement called to my nerd tendencies...), However, there's no way I'd venture into doing it out in a remote location... far top faff to setup (imho)! Besides, I gave it up because I got bored eventually and like you I'm working all day on computers. Visual and manual mounts only is where it's at (impossible to get wrong). Only electronics I employ is the occasional dew heater.
Thanks again Dave! I do own a coupe of GoTo mounts. I use them from my home location only, and only on bright Moon nights when there are almost no visible stars to navigate manually. I use them, but it feels like cheating. :lol:

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats Andrey on winning the VROD for the day for your awesome report (9-2-2022). Also, keep up the nominations folks!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Nice story about the AP-guy. I stopped with AP as soon as I realised that I didn't enjoy the beauty of the universe any more and was kept occupied with all kind of technical problems. That was in the analog- days. What a relief when I found myself observing and enjoying instead of annoying and negative-praying.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

helicon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:35 pm Congrats Andrey on winning the VROD for the day for your awesome report (9-2-2022). Also, keep up the nominations folks!
Thanks Michael, much apreciated!
John Baars wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:11 pm Congratulations on the VROD!
Nice story about the AP-guy. I stopped with AP as soon as I realised that I didn't enjoy the beauty of the universe any more and was kept occupied with all kind of technical problems. That was in the analog- days. What a relief when I found myself observing and enjoying instead of annoying and negative-praying.
Thanks John! Even if I had some thoughts about AP, seeing what it takes made those thoughts disappear really fast. So they are right about joining a club and looking at stuff in person. :D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:11 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Not a knock on those folks that do AP exclusively, but I do have to wonder sometimes if people don't get so wrapped up in the setup, capturing and processing so much that they lose a sense of a connection to the universe that visual brings. Yeah, the product can be beautiful and inspiring, but I just wonder sometimes if all the time and headaches involved are ultimately worth it. That would be up to the individual of course. But I have never had a desire to abandon visual observing. It simply is my first hand connection to the visible universe. But again, I am sure they see things differently, and in a manner that I am unfamiliar with since I've never tried it. Ultimately to each their own.

Thanks John! Even if I had some thoughts about AP, seeing what it takes made those thoughts disappear really fast. So they are right about joining a club and looking at stuff in person. :D
[/quote]

Ditto Andrey, and congrats on the VROD.
Alan

scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Yes, if I go to a remote site with a view to doing AP, I always go prepared to do visual, as that is what I mostly end up doing because something does not work on the night.

What is more usual is to plan to do visual with my main scope first, and then perhaps set up for a wide field image on the star adventurer using a DSLR; it just "clicks away" and every now and then, you change the battery. I often observe with friends who do the same, and we can share one mount for cameras and another for observing. Even then 50%+ of the time it would be more usual just to visually observe, comparing views in different scopes.

Thanks for the report on the galaxies, and congrats on the VROD. Cheers, Phil
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Another great session, Andrey! Congrats on your VROD recognition.

Would be interesting to know what percentage of amateurs do only visual. Lots of folks advertise their AP work, but I sense that us "visual guys" are a silent majority.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

scribbly wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:27 am Yes, if I go to a remote site with a view to doing AP, I always go prepared to do visual, as that is what I mostly end up doing because something does not work on the night.

What is more usual is to plan to do visual with my main scope first, and then perhaps set up for a wide field image on the star adventurer using a DSLR; it just "clicks away" and every now and then, you change the battery. I often observe with friends who do the same, and we can share one mount for cameras and another for observing. Even then 50%+ of the time it would be more usual just to visually observe, comparing views in different scopes.

Thanks for the report on the galaxies, and congrats on the VROD. Cheers, Phil
Thanks Phil! Sounds like a good way to combine AP and visual.
Unitron48 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:17 am Another great session, Andrey! Congrats on your VROD recognition.

Would be interesting to know what percentage of amateurs do only visual. Lots of folks advertise their AP work, but I sense that us "visual guys" are a silent majority.

Dave
Thanks Dave! I agree, AP is shared hobby by default, even afocal phone shots get shared on social media, so most AP folks are accounted for (so to speak). Vast majority of visual observers are casual and most don't keep log of what they see, not even mentioning posting reports. One of my friends is fairly advanced visual only observer, but he does nor belong to any clubs, even online forums.