What telescope should I pick?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: What telescope should I pick?

Post by UnityLover »

Got it, but what about the mount was bad again? Was it the legs? or where the telescope is attached?
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

If its the legs, I can probably reinforce the legs or put the bottom inside the ground.
If its where the telescope is mounted, i cant do anything about it.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

UnityLover wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:24 pm If its the legs, I can probably reinforce the legs or put the bottom inside the ground.
If its where the telescope is mounted, i cant do anything about it.
I think you are missing the point. There are ways to improve that scope. Some people do it for fun. Buy cheap scope (preferably used) and spend extra money and effort to see what they can get out of it. They don't mind spending some disposable cash on that. Like guys buying classic cars and fixing them for fun. BUT, this is not the best way to start the hobby in particular if your budget is tight.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

I only have one idea before I move on, and it is that apparently you can reinforce the tripod by putting a weight under it from a hook. (say, putting a few bottles of water in a plastic bag or using workout weights)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

UnityLover wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:48 pm I only have one idea before I move on, and it is that apparently you can reinforce the tripod by putting a weight under it from a hook. (say, putting a few bottles of water in a plastic bag or using workout weights)
Yep, this is a valid trick.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Ive also heard that you can grease those joints in the part that moves around the telescope with powdered pencil lead on a brush (since the parts are plastic)

I kinda doubt this one

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

UnityLover wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pm Ive also heard that you can grease those joints with powdered pencil lead on a brush (since the parts are plastic)

I kinda doubt this one
You could use some tricks to improve the mount stability. In fact you would likely have to do it for most beginner scope packages. However, the other accessories supplied with that scope (diagonal, finder, EPs) are really bad. I am not sure about the focuser either. It could be plastic.

UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

I'll probably throw out the finder scope and make a crosshair gun sight like thing for the telescope or something, but the EPs and diagonal are at least useable, so I might use them for the time being, then I can get a new telescope if it is interesting (since the optics on the telescope are good enough to give me major oooohs for my buck)
Heck, Ill even settle for a close up view of the moon. (like high zoom, all the way to the point where I can see details.
Doodlebug
Earth Ambassador

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi UnityLover,
Good luck with whatever scope you decide upon. It seems to me after reading all 48 posts that you have your mind set on a particular scope and are trying to get folks here to justify it for you. I am new to this hobby as well and can only surmise that the advice given to you here on this post is based on many years of experience in this hobby. I would never want to discourage anyone from trying a new hobby, actually quite the opposite. I just hope you aren't setting yourself up for disappointment. Wishing you all the best!
--Doodlebug
-Shawn

Equipment:
Scope: Astro Tech AT72EDII, William Optics 50mm Guidescope
Mount: ZWO AM5, AZ GTI
Guide Computer: ASIAIR Mini
Finder: Astro-Tech Illuminated Multiple Reticle Finder
Diagonal: William Optics 2" 99% Dielectric Dura Bright Carbon Fiber Mirror Diagonal
Barlow: Celestron X-Cel LX 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens
Eyepiece: SVBONY SV135 Eyepiece 7 to 21mm 1.25 Inch Zoom
Camera ZWO 294mc Pro, ZWO 120mm Mini, Panasonic G9
:Astronomer1:
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

So far it seems the scope is mostly fine, but the mount isn't. If I can reinforce it for a low price, it seems this one is enough for casual viewing. If not, Ill have to wait and save for a larger one.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

UnityLover wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:11 am So far it seems the scope is mostly fine, but the mount isn't. If I can reinforce it for a low price, it seems this one is enough for casual viewing. If not, Ill have to wait and save for a larger one.
YES wait and save for not just a “ larger” scope but more importantly a quality better one !
Don’t even waste money on that junk just put it towards a good scope!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

@Frankskywatcher
Have any reccomendations? It cant be too large because i dont have much space.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

If you haven't already, please read this post. Then get back to us.
viewtopic.php?style=1&p=22592

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

I just got an idea, the main problem with the powerseeker is the tripod(fixable) and the spotting scope and the eyepieces with barlow. So would it be fine if I bought a new eyepiece, such as a high quality 6mm one? The 20mm would be keepable, since you could still at least use it for scouting around and for the moon, and the 6mm (im targeting 100-120x zoom) could be used for other planets.
Last edited by UnityLover on Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Also, for additional info:

-I am just looking to see up to jupiter comfortably, maybe saturn.

-My bortle class is around 7-6, but I have beaches near me probably closer to 5 or 4

-I can comfortably move 15 pounds, But i dont have much space in my house.

-My budget is preferably under $100, but $120 is the most I can do.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

The problem is "always" the mount with budget options... Unfortunately, it's also arguably the most important part of the setup as without a decent stable platform you won't see anything for constant wobbling.

Andrey (@Bigzmey mentioned the ST80 previously and these (just the scope without mount) often come up on the used market for very little money (£40-£50 here). Then look for an AZ3/AZ4 alt/az mount. Another option would be something like:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobson ... xtube.html

This covers the issue of not having much space - however you would need a solid table to put it on. Later you could even invest in an alt/az or equatorial mount perhaps to put it on which may be more suitable for going to the beach with... While over your budget new... you may find a good used example or clearance offer perhaps or save more towards something of this area and size and most importantly stability of the scope... All these scopes come with 1 good eyepiece (generally a 25mm plossl) and one which is almost completely useless (10mm plossl). I suggest setting aside a little money for a good 10mm eyepiece with long eye relief (again lots of examples usually on the used market!)

Good luck with the search.. I highly recommend you just get out to the beach if it's bortle 4/5 with your binoculars and get to know the sky with an atlas for the time being and save up for something that will give you decent results.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

[deleted]
Last edited by UnityLover on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Ok now Im confused this orion telescope uses equatorial, THIS one uses alt-azimuth. Which is better (more stable).
Doodlebug
Earth Ambassador

Post by Doodlebug »

UnityLover wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:50 pm Ok now Im confused this orion telescope uses equatorial, THIS one uses alt-azimuth. Which is better (more stable).

https://telescopeguides.com/alt-azimuth ... to-choose/
-Shawn

Equipment:
Scope: Astro Tech AT72EDII, William Optics 50mm Guidescope
Mount: ZWO AM5, AZ GTI
Guide Computer: ASIAIR Mini
Finder: Astro-Tech Illuminated Multiple Reticle Finder
Diagonal: William Optics 2" 99% Dielectric Dura Bright Carbon Fiber Mirror Diagonal
Barlow: Celestron X-Cel LX 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens
Eyepiece: SVBONY SV135 Eyepiece 7 to 21mm 1.25 Inch Zoom
Camera ZWO 294mc Pro, ZWO 120mm Mini, Panasonic G9
:Astronomer1:
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Last night I went stargazing with my 7x22 binoculars, saw like 15 stars, had some fun.