What telescope should I pick?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

What telescope should I pick?

Post by UnityLover »

I am interested in this hobby, but I dont have a high budget. Are any of these telescopes good for this hobby?

shorturl.at/eQR36

shorturl.at/OPUX3
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: What telescope should I pick?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello, you will have to repost your links or just let us know what they are :)
Stating a budget is useful as well.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Well this probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but please bear with us as others will more than likely weigh in with similar comments. Too many folks buy such inexpensive scopes and get discouraged because more often than not these scopes just don't provide the kind of experience the buyer is expecting. Now I admit that I'm not familiar with the two you posted but others in that price range are poorly made with sloppy fits, weak tripods, poor optics, and inflated advertising claims.

What I very seriously urge you to do before you buy anything is to find a local club where you can attend some of their observing sessions. You'll be able to see a variety of scopes and ask questions about them. Some clubs (and some local libraries as well) have scopes that can be borrowed by members, thus you could, as the saying goes, try before you buy.

Also it is possible that a member might have a scope you could borrow on a long-term loan, or even buy for a price you can afford.

You write that you don't have much of a budget, but the reality is that a scope that is worth owning is going to cost more than what I see those two selling for. Consider that the raw manufacturing cost of those packages, with all the listed accessories, is probably ten bucks or less. Frankly, if money is tight, don't risk it on something at that end of the price scale.

Finally, many folks advise newcomers to start out with a good pair of binoculars even though what you want is a telescope. First, there is much to see with them and there are books specifically for binocular astronomy. Second, binoculars are useful for daylight fun — bird watching, sports events, and much more — and if for some reason your interest in the stars should wane, you still have a useful instrument.

So please, find a club first and go from there.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

@gregl makes some good points there @UnityLover

If you are this new to the hobby then scan the skies with your naked eyes first, and acquaint yourself with what you can see nearby - i.e. planets and constellations.

Binoculars, as suggested, are the next step to bring those objects into closer view.

This will give you a good grounding in the hobby, and will also give you chance to ask more questions of our members as to the best choice for a beginners telescope. Also, it would give you time to save more money to get the best that you can afford.

It is not a hobby to dive straight into where expensive equipment is involved.

Take your time and be guided by our members' suggestions first.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Did you mean:

and

??

If you did, beware!
The frontlens may be okay, but because of the simple design of the eyepieces in this very fast f/4 system, they will not deliver the sharp images you might expect. Moreover you'll be in for a surprise when you use it by day or by night: the combination of the simple Huygens eyepieces and the very short focal length is not capable of delivering sharply defined images. Instead they will be blurred, unsharp and have severely false colored rims. At the edge of the field of view everything is blurred. If you have seen the demonstration video's you might have noticed that the mount is not capable of holding the instrument steady. The slightest touch causes the instrument to shake like a leave in the wind.
Basically this is a children's toy with 15X magnification. All other magnifications make the image pretty dark, unsharp and all objects will be surrounded by a fiercely colored rim. To make it a more adult instrument, serious investments must be done in mount, eyepieces and home-made baffles inside. Surely not worth the extra money.
Completely useless then? Not entirely. It could be used as a daytime 15X simple telescope. At night you will be able to see some craters on the Moon and see that some planets have a certain surface area. Even the brightest deepsky objects will be visible. But all of these are visible in binoculars too.
I think it would be wiser to save up until you can purchase a more serious instrument.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

+1 on all the advice above. Find a club if you have near you. Invest in some binoculars and an atlas and then take it from there...
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

I do have a pair of decent binoculars, im pretty sure its 50X magnification, I will start with them. Have any future recommendations for decent telescopes under $70?
The forecast for today is mostly clear tonight, so I can tell how the binoculars went tonight or tomorrow.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

You came to the right place. The members of this forum are experienced and will give honest answers, tempered with concern for you. I agree with the others on here. A pair of binoculars in that price range will be more useful than telescopes in that range. There are few things more discouraging than a flimsy telescope with poor optics. Binoculars are also more versatile. You won't outgrow them. Most of us still have and regularly use our binoculars. I have a pair hanging by my back door and three pair in my observatory. They get a lot of use.

Binoculars offer a wide sweeping look at the night sky, but they do not offer the high magnification that you might expect when viewing the planets. You have to know where and when to look. An astronomy club, online forums (like this one) and some free programs (like Stellarium) can help fill in those gaps. They can help you get the most from your binoculars.

It won't take long before you start to get a feeling for what kind of telescope fits your needs and budget. There is no such thing as an all around best telescope. I like to think of them much like the lenses on expensive cameras. Telephoto, wide angle, macro, etc. lenses all have different purposes. Many photographers have a collection of lenses. They can be inexpensive or cost a small fortune. A new photographer is usually better off building a lens collection a little at a time as needed, unless money is no option.

As for future telescopes at a low price, you might have luck with doing it the way I did. I started with low cost used Dobsonian telescopes. That style gives you the most bang for the buck. They have a simple design and are easy to use. We are getting into September. When I started I would scan the online "for Sale" sources in my location. It seems like there are lots of parents who purchase telescopes for their kids for Christmas. The kids either don't get excited about astronomy or grow up and move away. The telescopes are just stuck in a closet someplace. As we near the Christmas season a number of these end up getting sold to make more room or free up some extra money for the holidays. I think I have purchased six or more telescopes in this fashion. All of them were just about as good as new and all of them were a lot cheaper than new price.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

For the time being I would stick with your binoculars in order to get comfortable with looking around the sky and learning the major stars and constellations. For your budget of under $70 you will not really find anything in terms of a telescope that would not be disappointing. The wider field of view of your binoculars will help you learn and feel comfortable with the night sky. They will allow you to get a much better sense of the sky's layout and also to see some of the brighter objects up there. In the beginning its about becoming familiar and comfortable with the patterns of the stars so you know how to move around more efficiently. While you are in the early stages of learning, you can continue to save money toward a scope that would be more productive for you. You don't have to break the bank, but it does take a certain amount of investment to get something that will perform decently. But initially the best investment you can use is patience and taking time to learn the general layout of the sky. This will help you make better more informed decisions about what you really wish to spend your hard earned money on.

I would recommend a basic sky atlas to help you during your learning of the sky. Something basic like the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas is an excellent resource:

https://shopatsky.com/products/pocket-s ... nd-edition

If you are more inclined toward something electronic based, then I could recommend Stellarium. You can tailor it to your location, date and time to get a real time presentation of what the sky looks like. Best thing its free!

http://stellarium.org/

The main thing is not to rush in too quickly. The more you learn at the beginning, the better your spending choices will be. There is a long learning curve in this hobby. I've been doing it for decades and learn things new almost every day. So take your time, learn the sky and see where that leads you. Good luck!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

I understand that under 70 isnt good, but most I can do is $100. All Im looking for is a telescope that can see the moon, see Mercury and/or Venus, and maybe be able to see Jupiter and Saturn :text-thankyoublue: .
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:05 pm im pretty sure its 50X magnification
Read the inscriptions on the housing.
For example if it reads 7X50......this means 7 times magnification and a front=lens of 50mm diameter.
10X50 means 10 times magnification and a frontlens of 50mm
12X50 means.....etc
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Mine says 8x22, will that be fine?
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

And If astrobiscuit is a trustable source, they have reccomended this telescope by celestron:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... ecdad&th=1
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

No 8 x22 are small and not suitable for astronomy , 22mm is the objective lens which is small you need at least a 8x 42 , I use 7x50 a lot but for a good view 15x70 are good but then one needs a support
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:02 pm And If astrobiscuit is a trustable source, they have reccomended this telescope by celestron:

(copy and paste this into your browser, i dont know how links work on this forum) shorturl.at/ERS15

Just copy the address line for the web page you are trying to link to, then paste it into the text field. Such as the link to this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=214569#p214569
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Link to the telescope I saw and seems decent, backed by astrobiscuit shorturl.at/ERS15
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome to TSS! $70-100 will not get you usable scope. However, it will buy you decent 10x50 binoculars, which will show you many things.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-x-50-w ... 94527.html

You could also get a spotting scope.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-60-x-6 ... binoculars

Binoculars will be better on DSOs (galaxies, star clusters, nebulae) and the spotting scope on planets and Moon.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

@Bigzmey
Is astrobiscuit trustworthy? They have reccomended this telescope, and if they are reliable, it can see quite a lot. The amazon reviews also show good quality.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:37 pm @Bigzmey
Is astrobiscuit trustworthy? They have reccomended this telescope, and if they are reliable, it can see quite a lot. The amazon reviews also show good quality.
What is astrobiscuit? :)

I would not rely on amazon reviews. You are better off asking for advice on astro forums like our.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Problem with ultra cheap telescope packages is that while the telescope objective lens could be of reasonably good quality, the rest of accessories (focuser, finder, diagonal and eyepieces) will be poor quality or unusable. It will be hard to find targets, and once you find them the views will be dark and soft.

I would buy this as a starter refractor telescope.

https://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Re ... goryId=331