What telescope should I pick?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: What telescope should I pick?

Post by UnityLover »

@Bigzmey Astrobiscuit is a youtube channel you can find here
They show you the telescope here, you can find the telescope being demostated from approx 2:36 - 3:30. He tests it on DSOs later on. To find the link, visit his website in the description, he has an amazon link on the webpage whichs leads to the telescope he used in the video.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A set of 7x35 or even better 10x50 are a good affordable way to start with astronomy.
Binoculars + planisphere or atlas is a great combination for getting started.
I used these the first two years I started observing.

Since you are in USA, check the begginer telescope section at Orion Telescopes.
They have some at a reasonable price and occasionally have good sales as well.
This one is not the greatest but is better than the refractors you have linked to: https://www.telescope.com/catalog/produ ... -prodtitle
I would recommend this one as the best in your budget, good optics and aperture: https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-S ... elescope/r
The only thing is that they are tabletop models so you will need to supply a stool or table to place them on while viewing.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:29 pm @Bigzmey Astrobiscuit is a youtube channel you can find here
They show you the telescope here, you can find the telescope being demostated from approx 2:36 - 3:30. He tests it on DSOs later on. To find the link, visit his website in the description, he has an amazon link on the webpage whichs leads to the telescope he used in the video.
Just keep in mind that people promoting telescopes like these on youtube and such places are ultimately just trying to sell something through their links so they make money.
These poorly made telescopes are not worth the money you will spend.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

The reviews show that some people know what they are doing, like people who know about this hobby, like it (for beginners only though).
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:37 pm Is astrobiscuit trustworthy? They have reccomended this telescope, and if they are reliable, it can see quite a lot. The amazon reviews also show good quality.
Astrobiscuit may be not very known to our American friends. He lives in the UK, is a very well skilled astronomer gifted with humor and great abilities to make the impossible work. You can trust him all right. Though he has his own connections with certain brands.
The telescope in your link has good optics. It is an f11.6 achromat. The mount underneath however did not stand in line as first when stability was distributed.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Stability isnt that bad, because I am just going to use this for fun. I dont need top notch high quality photos and things, just a nice view. So as long as the optics are good, im fine with it.

P.s: im american.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:56 pm Stability isnt that bad, because I am just going to use this for fun. I dont need top notch high quality photos and things, just a nice view. So as long as the optics are good, im fine with it.

P.s: im american.
Let's say you want to see Saturn rings. It is a small target which requires higher power. If you mount is not stable, every time you touch it to place on target, replace EP, etc. it will shake and instead of Saturn with rings you will see a dancing blob of light. For a shaky mount it may take a minute for shakes to calm, enough time for the target to drift away from the view. Stability is very important for visual observing, whether you are beginner or pro.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:05 pm I do have a pair of decent binoculars, im pretty sure its 50X magnification, I will start with them. Have any future recommendations for decent telescopes under $70?
The forecast for today is mostly clear tonight, so I can tell how the binoculars went tonight or tomorrow.
Hello UnityLover and welcome aboard !

Believe me when I tell you that you have come to the right place and not just for good advise( but you will get that 100%) but a great bunch of people who truly love this hobby,they won’t steer you wrong so definitely listen to what they are telling you !
I’m a beginner too and I’m glad I listened to them,I like you used a pair of bino’s and I live where it’s dark at night so I used them for awhile.
After getting acquainted with the night sky and putting my money aside I then bite the bullet and bought a 10” DOB.
I was very tempted again like you to try to save some money and buy a small used cheap telescope.
So glad I didn’t you will:
(1) waste your money that you could have put down on a real telescope
(2) it will definitely frustrate you when you can’t see anything and
(3) you will then be frustrated AND pissed off that you threw your money away!

Try saving a little every week if you can and then get a really good telescope that you will enjoy and be happy with .
All The Best Frank.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:49 pm
UnityLover wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:37 pm @Bigzmey
Is astrobiscuit trustworthy? They have reccomended this telescope, and if they are reliable, it can see quite a lot. The amazon reviews also show good quality.
What is astrobiscuit? :)

I would not rely on amazon reviews. You are better off asking for advice on astro forums like our.
UnityLover listen to these fine folks, they know of what they speak, you will just be wasting money on those toy telescopes!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi UnityLover. I agree with all of the above great advice. How many times have I seen those telescopes near the department store check out lanes with a Hubble Space Telescope picture on the box and unreal magnification powers listed. These telescopes are soon found later at pawn shops or garage sales. And the worst part is that the original buyer lost a great opportunity to really learn and enjoy this fantastic hobby because they couldn't see anything but a blurry blob due to the poor optics and wobbly mounts supplied, so they quickly lost interest. Start with binoculars and a good atlas or planisphere to learn the sky. Next, save up some money, look for sales and maybe free shipping too, and choose your first instrument to fit your interests and budget and not a toy. I hope this helps UnityLover, welcome to the TSS forum, and the best of wishes on your astronomy hobby adventures.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Hi UnityLover:
If what you now have is a pair of 8x22 binoculars, while they aren't ideal, they are better than nothing, so go ahead and use them while you get settled in the hobby. The 22mm diameter of the objective lenses won't gather as much light as, say, 50mm, but you'll still be able to see things you can't see with your naked eye. And, again, if you decide to upgrade, try before you buy. Many of us use 10x binos, but some of us prefer 8x or 7x. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and, like buying shoes, you have to find out what fits.

And if you find some other astronomers in your local area who you can go observing with, they will show you how to maximize those binos, and lots of fun things to see as well.
planecrazzzy United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

Buying something Used might bring the price to your range.
Otherwise your looking at $300 or junk
I was up ALL night , then it dawned on me...
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Ok, I understand. I know the department stores arent too reliable, but I thought I could trust Celestron, you know? When you see a video demonstration you might believe it.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Why stop at a telescope? For $49.99 you can buy a science kit that has a telescope, microscope and a pair of binoculars. There is one review, it says "teaches patience" so it is educational while wasting a minimum amount of money. Just think of how many people buy a telescope 10x to 50x more expensive and put it in the closet after noticing they didn't see anything like the pictures on the box.

Jokes aside, I would check Craigs list. You will find lots of junk scopes that people try to sell for more than they bought it for, but once in a while good deal shows up. Patience pays off. BTW since you said you want to observe planets, binoculars won't show you the rings of Saturn. A cheap telescope may, depending on its focal length, how wobbly the mount is and how well you can deal with it. I once had a telescope that looks a lot like like that 60 mm astrobiscuit one. I recall it was hard to use and felt like looking through a straw. I don't know what happened to it but it's gone. I also got a 4.5" Newtonian equatorial mount once for $95 from Big 5 back in 2000 that was actually useful, I still have it, fine for a travel telescope.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Most of the reliable ones on craigslist near me are too large, I dont have enough space to store it. I need something that can be around the size of the one astrobiscuit reccomended.

(btw, astro biscuit said it was good for UNDER 100 dollars, so its not that good, but its cheap.)
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

And even if the tripod isnt too steady, and if I bump it out of view, finding it again is part of the fun, right?
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

UnityLover wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:45 pm And even if the tripod isnt too steady, and if I bump it out of view, finding it again is part of the fun, right?
Are you serious?
Every one and their brother is giving you good advise that you seemly disregard .
Go ahead and spend a little bit of money on a pile of junk, wish I could be there to watch you as you “find it again it’s part of the fun, right”?
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

UnityLover wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:45 pm And even if the tripod isnt too steady, and if I bump it out of view, finding it again is part of the fun, right?
I think you'll find that get old real fast... :p

I think you've been given some pretty good advice previously in order to make a well-informed decision that's not just based on on one youtube video you've seen (in the video the mount was replaced with something that actually worked!).
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Ill try the binocs today though.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

davesellars wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:26 pm in the video the mount was replaced with something that actually worked!
That is the key point! As John has mentioned above, the objective lens on this scope is not bad. So, if you buy it and replace the mount, diagonal, EPs and finder, you will get a decent scope, but you would end up spending a bit more than $70. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255