What telescope should I pick?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: What telescope should I pick?

Post by UnityLover »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:26 pm
UnityLover wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:42 pm @Frankskywatcher
I borrows a starblast from the library, i can loan it for 7 days.
For buying a telescope to keep, probably the equatorial reflector in the post that you quoted. Cheap, great optical tube, and a not bad mount!
Well that’s good unity lover I’m glad to see you are progressing.
I stated earlier that scope that I suggested to you was mentioned to me by someone else here on the forum.
That telescope is being used all over the world and it can be used by just about anybody and it’s not a “ toy “ telescope !
Actually, i have thought of getting an orion starblast 4.5 eq, cheaper than the dob, and the folks on cloudy nights said it would be fine.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm
For buying a telescope to keep, probably the equatorial reflector in the post that you quoted. Cheap, great optical tube, and a not bad mount!
I stated earlier that scope that I suggested to you was mentioned to me by someone else here on the forum.
That telescope is being used all over the world and it can be used by just about anybody and it’s not a “ toy “ telescope !
Actually, i have thought of getting an orion starblast 4.5 eq, cheaper than the dob, and the folks on cloudy nights said it would be fine.
Well at least you are now headed in the correct direction and not buying a pile of junk !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I owned Orion-StarBlast-II-45 for a couple of months way back and would not recommend it for beginners. You will be better off with 80ST refractor which is actually less expensive

https://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Re ... goryId=331

Reflectors have central obstruction which decreases their effective aperture and also reduces the contrast. So, despite 80ST having 80mm aperture vs 115mm of the StarBlast, it will outperform StarBlast on most o targets and also easier to use.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:39 pm

I owned Orion-StarBlast-II-45 for a couple of months way back and would not recommend it for beginners. You will be better off with 80ST refractor which is actually less expensive

Reflectors have central obstruction which decreases their effective aperture and also reduces the contrast. So, despite 80ST having 80mm aperture vs 115mm of the StarBlast, it will outperform StarBlast on most o targets and also easier to use.
really? Ive used a starblast and the view was amazing. The people on cloudy nights said the 80ST was not a good choice.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

UnityLover wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:39 pm

really? Ive used a starblast and the view was amazing. The people on cloudy nights said the 80ST was not a good choice.
If you check signatures on CN or here, half of members own 80ST. They are hugely popular and for a good reason.

From what I remember StarBlast was tricky to collimate, had soft views and I found coma pronounced and distracting. I sold it and got 80mm refractor, much sharper and hussle-free. Some CA, but I would take CA over coma.

Still, people develop their own preferences and some are not into refractors and prefer reflectors. If you had experience with and like the StarBlast go for it.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Update if anyone is wondering, I got an orion spaceprobe 130ST
planecrazzzy United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

Your on the right path...
Learn the EQ mount too...it's a fun challenge.
Your going to have a lot of targets for that scope.
and some you'll reach for..
and a LOT of learning.
I was up ALL night , then it dawned on me...
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

It doesnt feel like too much of a challenge!
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

Tip of the Iceberg
or a $350 piece of living room Art...
Can you feel yourself among the the planet system yet...?
and it's like I can track where they are , even when I can't see them.
I'm talking about in my mind... not some app.
Found the Andromeda galaxy ?
I follow the way Cassiopeia points to a bright star, Then hook back to the right...
Go through Two Stars ( I call a gateway ) through the gateway is a Galaxy... Andromeda.
I found it... It's mine , I can see it with Binoculars now... But I still pop-in with the telescope.
and I still use the same path to get to it... Cassiopeia.
What do you own...?

I've owned Saturn for a few years...Jupiter too...Mars lately.
Jupiter is easy by eye , but now I pick out Saturn and mars by noticing the Slight yellow . or the red by eye.
I see the angle of our Solar path, Earth included...
How many minutes does it take LIGHT to reach Neptune ?
Some of these answer just might give you the tiniest Idea of the SCALE we are dealing with.
Billions of years ? Billions of Stars ? ( Billions upon Billions C.S. )
It's not the scope , it's learning about what your seeing...or trying to.
and if none of this sounds interesting... not to mention AP
If it's going to be a Living room queen... Keep the Dust off of it so at least someone might mistake you for an Astronomer... ( Chick Magnet , right guys )
Just Kidding...
Gotta Fly...
Here's more hobbies to consider
Attachments
Pictures from CD 136.jpg
Buttercup Outside 005.jpg
Fabric on Fuselage (38).JPG
Firestar in backyard 02.jpg
1988 we won Top Fuel in Bakersfield , CA.jpg
Pictures+from+CD+004.jpg
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Congratulations on the new telescope. That one should serve you well for a long time.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

UnityLover wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:10 pm It doesnt feel like too much of a challenge!
The challenge or rather acquired skill is to manually locate targets invisible with naked eye using manual EQ mount.

Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

The Challenge can't fit in one sentence..... can it ?
But, I have been thinking about this since I read it...
All of my experience so far has been honing in on what I can see.

THAT has been a challenge, because once you start looking through the scope...MORE stars apear and you lose where the heck you are.

Not to mention upside down.
Now I've gotta find somethig I can't SEE.... Point it that way , and if the calculations are right...at that time , Whalla...
This IS going to be a challenge...Faint Fuzzies
Gotta Fly...
PS Thanks for giving me the new perspective... It will be boucing around in the brain....planning
Gotta Fly...
:observer:
UnityLover
Earth Ambassador

Post by UnityLover »

Saw alberio last night! Will try M56 tonight.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

UnityLover wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:48 pm Saw alberio last night! Will try M56 tonight.
Great! :Clap:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

UnityLover wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:48 pm Saw alberio last night! Will try M56 tonight.

Canada ?
JK
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

So it’s been a month, I am wondering how it’s going with your new telescope ?
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
rickclark28 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by rickclark28 »

How is the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST working out?
*I have been looking at this thread to gain some insight on getting a better telescope.
*Decided to save for Apertura AD8 or 10 and get more familiar with the night sky for now. I appreciate all the feedback here and it a humbling experience being older and new to astronomy. Loving every minute of the learning process and decided to stick with my binocs and my HSL76700 entry-level Newtonian reflector telescope. 700mm Focal Length (35X-875X) and my granddaughters SKONYON 70mm Aperture 300mm Astronomical Refractor Telescope.
*My neighbor has Apertura AD10 and it is amazing to me.
*I may also get my granddaughter a good refractor but I am lost on one to pick.
Telescopes: *Celestron DX5 SCT 127mm 5" w/StarSense *Astro-Tech 80ED AT80ED
Eyepiece: AT-UWA 4/7/10/13/16, AT-PF 5.5/15.5/25, ES52/10, ES62/20, SvBony 26-70 2", 7-21/3-8 zoom, Bresser 30/35 2"
Binoculars: Minolta 10x50 Wide Angle 7", HUTACT 10x42,
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

rickclark28 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:42 pm How is the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST working out?
*I have been looking at this thread to gain some insight on getting a better telescope.
*Decided to save for Apertura AD8 or 10 and get more familiar with the night sky for now. I appreciate all the feedback here and it a humbling experience being older and new to astronomy. Loving every minute of the learning process and decided to stick with my binocs and my HSL76700 entry-level Newtonian reflector telescope. 700mm Focal Length (35X-875X) and my granddaughters SKONYON 70mm Aperture 300mm Astronomical Refractor Telescope.
I bought the Apertura 10 a year ago this month and love it !
I almost bought the 8” but so glad that I just went up a couple of inches to the 10 huge difference and still manageable to move around.
I would strongly suggest you get the 10 so you won’t regret it,the eight is little on the smaller side.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
rickclark28 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by rickclark28 »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:00 am
rickclark28 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:42 pm How is the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST working out?
I almost bought the 8” but so glad that I just went up a couple of inches to the 10 huge difference and still manageable to move around.
I would strongly suggest you get the 10 so you won’t regret it,the eight is little on the smaller side.
Thanks for the information.
I love the challenge of finding objects and getting a better setup. I am in the process of getting an Apertura 10 and appreciate the feedback!
Telescopes: *Celestron DX5 SCT 127mm 5" w/StarSense *Astro-Tech 80ED AT80ED
Eyepiece: AT-UWA 4/7/10/13/16, AT-PF 5.5/15.5/25, ES52/10, ES62/20, SvBony 26-70 2", 7-21/3-8 zoom, Bresser 30/35 2"
Binoculars: Minolta 10x50 Wide Angle 7", HUTACT 10x42,
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

rickclark28 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:47 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:00 am
Thanks for the information.
I love the challenge of finding objects and getting a better setup. I am in the process of getting an Apertura 10 and appreciate the feedback!
No problem my friend and the first thing you did correctly was to join this Forum !
I’m new to the hobby and I’m 67 and joined just about a year ago and the camaraderie here is awesome and they helped me so much and guided me along !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars