Observing with Joe Cali @ OzEclipse

Post your nightscape photos here.
scribbly Australia
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Observing with Joe Cali @ OzEclipse

Post by scribbly »

I am indeed a lucky person; I have enjoyed another trip to visit Joe Cali (@OzEclipse) at his wonderful dark site.

Thought I would see how a nightscape with a fisheye would turn out, with the advantage it should a good view of our various setups and the amazing panoramic view we enjoyed all evening.

That is my Mewlon180 in the foreground, and Joe's 18" Dob is next to the ladder. Joe is up the back the back doing some tracked photography.

Cheers, Phil
20220826 Bendick.jpg
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
Thefatkitty Online Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing with Joe Cali @ OzEclipse

Post by Thefatkitty »

Wow. You are indeed lucky! I'd bet you can't even see your hand in front of your face... Plus you get to hang out with Joe, which I have to imagine would just be a great time. From some of his previous posts, I suspect he is an accomplished chef as well...

Good for you Phil; hope it was fun!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice take , luky you , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It looks like a beautiful location, nice that you could enjoy it. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
scribbly Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:11 pm Wow. You are indeed lucky! I'd bet you can't even see your hand in front of your face... Plus you get to hang out with Joe, which I have to imagine would just be a great time. From some of his previous posts, I suspect he is an accomplished chef as well...

All the best,
It is so dark the reason that you couldn't see your hand would be because of the Milky Way is so bright it would be casting on it. There were a few clouds on the night and they were very black against the sky. Once moderately dark adapted, seeing is not a problem, thee is a lot of light from the sky
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Well done! Surely, looks like a great location.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:11 pm Wow. You are indeed lucky! I'd bet you can't even see your hand in front of your face... Plus you get to hang out with Joe, which I have to imagine would just be a great time. From some of his previous posts, I suspect he is an accomplished chef as well...

All the best,
Hi Mark,

The backyard is dark but as Phil says, there is plenty of starlight. When it is dark enough, your eyes can dark adapt to the point where the Milky Way provides enough light on the landscape.
"From some of his previous posts, I suspect he is an accomplished chef as well..."
On this evening, Scribbly, also an accomplished chef, brought up and prepared a delicious lamb roast. Finished the leftovers at dinner last night Phil!

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
BABOafrica Kenya

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Oh, that would be wonderful. Hang out with Joe Cali at his dark site...

Nice grab of the site!

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

If you promote it too much Joe you are going to get a whole bunch of members turning up on your doorstep with telescopes in tow :lol:

So, be prepared ;)
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:17 am If you promote it too much Joe you are going to get a whole bunch of members turning up on your doorstep with telescopes in tow :lol:

So, be prepared ;)
Hi Vanessa,
As far as I know, the only members residing in this region who can "drop in," are people who are friends of mine [ @scribbly @Logieberra @Rainmaker & prickly (about to join) and welcome to drop in, so I think I'm safe. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)