Beginner - 1-10 ?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
planecrazzzy United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Beginner - 1-10 ?

Post by planecrazzzy »

Don't you think Beginners should have their OWN rank / scale ?

I mean.... 1 to 10....I'm about at zero , ok 0.38

I don't use my phone to navigate the sky , just a compass.
I'm out their fubbling with knobs...
Two things on my list...Red light (Clip on my hat)
and more info about Dew Shields , it seems to be a problem in our high humidity.
Oh, and fumbling with that camera , Just not used to it in the dark.
Switched to visual...Hmmm Fogged up.
Do any of you WIPE your lense (90mm Celestron)
I just brought it in and waited before putting the Lense covers on.
Anywho,
I barely know some basics , and jumping into deeper waters .
From what I've seen about the Set-up / System I'll be setting up , If I learn it.
THEN , I'll consider myself a Beginner.
Meanwhile I'm still learning with the Manual EQ , I need to find Star Chart info to learn the "Lingo"
Maybe it's more , Beginner Astronomy , Beginner Telescope and lenses , Beginner Tracking / Computer, and so on...
That's a lot of beginners.

My new Celestron Advanced VX GoTo German Equatorial Mount should be here Friday morning ? Christmas in August ?
This should keep me busy for a while. So in the long run , it's worth the cost. ( THERE, I feel better, the guilt is justified )
Gotta Fly...
I was up ALL night , then it dawned on me...
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Beginner - 1-10 ?

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

@planecrazzzy we all start off as beginners, but the experience comes with practice.

Maybe not a good idea to give yourself a label through numbers though, as that could have an adverse effect on your enjoyment ;)

Personally, I am not one for labels so just enjoy your hobby and don't lower-rate yourself :smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Just a word on dew - in addition to commercially made dew heaters, there are plans on the Web for DIY projects. Photo lens dew heaters are probably cheaper than and essentially the same as ones marketed specifically for astro. You can find several on Amazon.

I use small chemical handwarmer packs held on my dewshield with a large rubber band. Pretty cheap, but some say they're environmentally unfriendly. FWIW.

Wiping lenses is generally frowned upon due to the risk of scratching the lens, but some people do it.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

I thought Dew shields where something like the "Cone of Shame" for dogs
Do they need power ?
Gotta Fly...
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Dew shields are just cylindrical shaped things - metal or plastic. I made one out of craft foam for my 90mm Mak. Dew heaters are powered.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

planecrazzzy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 am Do any of you WIPE your lense (90mm Celestron)
pakarinen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:38 pm Wiping lenses is generally frowned upon due to the risk of scratching the lens, but some people do it.

I only clean my optics when it's absolutely necessary. I went down the rabbit hole with a field flattener when I started this journey, I ended up putting scratches on it, but the scratches luckily don't interfere with the field flattener. Dust motes and things like that don't affect the imaging, especially if you use flats in your processing. The reason for it is that the dust and scratches are so far out of focus they usually don't even show in the image since you are focusing on roughly infinity.

Hope this helps, and don't label yourself other than newbie, like @Butterfly Maiden said :), we're all newbies at one point.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

chris_g wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:58 pm
planecrazzzy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 am Do any of you WIPE your lense (90mm Celestron)
pakarinen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:38 pm Wiping lenses is generally frowned upon due to the risk of scratching the lens, but some people do it.

I only clean my optics when it's absolutely necessary. I went down the rabbit hole with a field flattener when I started this journey, I ended up putting scratches on it, but the scratches luckily don't interfere with the field flattener. Dust motes and things like that don't affect the imaging, especially if you use flats in your processing. The reason for it is that the dust and scratches are so far out of focus they usually don't even show in the image since you are focusing on roughly infinity.

Hope this helps, and don't label yourself other than newbie, like @Butterfly Maiden said :), we're all newbies at one point.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Thanks for explaining the reason behind that... It makes sense.
I remember someone saying that before , but you explained why.
I have one of those bulb air blowers coming.
Gotta Fly...
Last edited by planecrazzzy on Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:47 pm Dew shields are just cylindrical shaped things - metal or plastic. I made one out of craft foam for my 90mm Mak. Dew heaters are powered.
Are both needed ? I guess if the cone of shame doesn't do it alone... The heater would be needed...?
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

planecrazzzy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:42 pm
pakarinen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:47 pm Dew shields are just cylindrical shaped things - metal or plastic. I made one out of craft foam for my 90mm Mak. Dew heaters are powered.
Are both needed ? I guess if the cone of shame doesn't do it alone... The heater would be needed...?
Depends on the type of weather you get. Here dew shields are sufficient for 90% of the nights. Added benefit is that they also block stray light which improves the contrast. So, I would use dew shields anyway and add heater if nessesary.

Dew shields are very easy to make from black craft foam.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

planecrazzzy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:42 pm
The dew shield provides more than just protection from dew, it also prevents stray light from entering into the scope. You want both but only use the heater when you need to since it is a power draw, usually near the end of an imaging session early in the morning as the temp drops closer to the dew point.

Here's a good description of how and why it works. https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advi ... ew-shield/
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

My dewshields are always on my telescopes. I don't leave home without them. When you are at home and can drag an extension cord out your telescope, I also use a blow dryer. Keep it a good 12 to 18 inches away from your optics but it is basically the dew killer.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

To prevent dew I always leave my dew-shield on. On those rare occasions that it isn't enough I have a 12V hair-dryer, which can operate 15 minutes on an accu in the handgrip. (used in campingplaces without current) Within half a minute all dew is gone. Be prepared once you start using it, fifteen minutes later you'll have to use it again. . Only the surface of the lens or corrector is warmed, the rest of it is still cold. Cold enough to re-dew within a quarter of an hour. So, you'll have enough current to last approximately 7 hours.
I keep eyepieces in my pockets to keep them warm. If necessary a short blow from the hairdryer is enough.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ewomack »

You're beyond me as a beginner, because I'm still finding things by eye and star hopping with binoculars. I haven't even graduated to a telescope.

I am starting to find my way around the sky in my head, though, which is great. The only dew I've had to deal with is the sleepy dew on my eyes late at night.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

ewomack wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 pm You're beyond me as a beginner, because I'm still finding things by eye and star hopping with binoculars. I haven't even graduated to a telescope.

I am starting to find my way around the sky in my head, though, which is great. The only dew I've had to deal with is the sleepy dew on my eyes late at night.
One can be an experienced observer with binoculars, and finding targets by star hopping is an acquired skill. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

I noticed I was able to recognize a few consolations and name a few stars.
I found Andromeda with Binoculars , well, the PATH to it...
I had the 90mm out , doing the Andromeda strain straight up.

That's when I thought the 10" dob would be perfect for this.
Things look different as you zoom in.
So my path to Andromida goes like this .
I come off Cassiopia , ( The big point with Caph) to a bright star...
Then angle back...I come to what I call a gateway of two stars... I go through that and there is Andromeda ...
and a smaller Nebula ?
This was a great night...
I tried to find it again to mix lenses...but I need a better night.
Gotta Fly...
PS This was a few nights ago , just thought I'd share with other beginners , a small victory.
Mars Ambassador

Post by planecrazzzy »

Another small victory was finding it AGAIN...
It was a clear night... but I had to get the binoculars to relocate Andromeda again.
After coming off a star pointed out by Cassiopia, I use another star in the direction of Andromeda.
but I was thinking Andromeda was in between them.
But I was supposed to go past the other star I was using... Then the gateway stars...Then Andromeda.
This time I stayed awhile and used different Lense combos.
Oh , and I used the tree to locate my first locating star...
If I put the telescope close enough to the tree . it helps finding the right star.
Gotta Fly...
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

JayTee wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:37 pm My dewshields are always on my telescopes. I don't leave home without them. When you are at home and can drag an extension cord out your telescope, I also use a blow dryer. Keep it a good 12 to 18 inches away from your optics but it is basically the dew killer.
That’s an excellent suggestion, that’s exactly what I do.
I have a convenience of rolling my scope out of my garage into my driveway.
I just run the extension cord with a hairdryer and every once in a while like you said at least a foot away from it,I just dry them off in a couple of seconds.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Yes a go to mount makes it much easier for most of us but knowledge is far more important when I got my first GO TO mount I thought that is fantastic but soon learned that its not that simple , I even had a plate solving mount , a skyprodigy one but that did not help much as you can choose what to look at but does mean you will see it , with time one leans what to look at at different times and for visual thats all I need
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

planecrazzzy wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:21 pm .
Another small victory was finding it AGAIN...
It was a clear night... but I had to get the binoculars to relocate Andromeda again.
After coming off a star pointed out by Cassiopia, I use another star in the direction of Andromeda.
but I was thinking Andromeda was in between them.
But I was supposed to go past the other star I was using... Then the gateway stars...Then Andromeda.
This time I stayed awhile and used different Lense combos.
Oh , and I used the tree to locate my first locating star...
If I put the telescope close enough to the tree . it helps finding the right star.
Gotta Fly...
Well done! Every located target makes finding the next a bit easier.