New laptop USB connection issues?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

New laptop USB connection issues?

Post by UlteriorModem »

Long story short (I will try).

Had to get a new laptop to control my imaging rig. Last night finally got a chance to try it but of course ran into some issues.

A basic rundown is the laptop is an ASUS note book running Windoze 11. The mount is a Celestron CGX-L. Control software was Celestron's CPWI (direct USB connection to the mount head, no hub). This set up more or less worked just fine with the previous laptop.

Basically the USB buss was flakey as hell. Sometimes equipment would not show up and to be unplugged / re-plugged to get them to show up.

But by far the biggest issue was that SGP kept reporting "External disconnect of mount detected". I checked the SGP forums and found one other who was having the same issues, however the response was basically it was out of their hands and did not know why CPWI decides to disconnect from SGP. Of note CPWI was still running and connected. I have the 'latest version'.

I tried un-installing and re-installing CPWI, checked the power management for the usb hubs (suspend disabled), Cleaned all the USB plugs and power ports.

I guess my next course of action will be to un-install and re-install all the ASCOM stuff.

Any thoughts?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New laptop USB connection issues?

Post by JayTee »

Is there any chance the new laptop is the culprit? If so, is returning it an option?
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

It's possible but for right now I am leaning towards driver compatibility etc. As I had merely swapped the hard drives there may have been some minor hardware / software glitches. The new laptop is slightly different but pretty much the same chip set as the previous.

I have downloaded the 'latest versions and re-installed the USB root hub drivers, ASCOM, Celestron scope control (ascom), and CPWI itself.

Although most of the versions were the same as the previous ones.
Tom

Current Equipment:
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yes, swapping in a new hard drive is typically fraught with head scratching issues. Hope you can run these down.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Well spent another frustrating night last night.

I've tried everything I can think of, new drivers, new software, different cables, different ports, the list goes on.

One thing in common. Every time a focus routine is called for "External disconnect of mount detected". Of course it is not really 'disconnected' as the CPWI software is still running and connected. It is just Sequence Generator 'thinks' it is disconnected for some reason.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Just out of curiosity what electronic focuser are you using?
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Gordon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:52 pm Just out of curiosity what electronic focuser are you using?
Rigel USB N step.

https://www.rigelsys.com/steppermotor.html
Tom

Current Equipment:
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I'm not real familiar with the Rigel focuser setup, but I'm wondering if it might be cause the issue. Let me do more research and I will post back.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:02 am I'm not real familiar with the Rigel focuser setup, but I'm wondering if it might be cause the issue. Let me do more research and I will post back.
This issue has also impacted people with Celestron focusers as well.

Frankly I have pretty much given up on that laptop for now and trying to re-furbish an older Dell that I have with windoze 10.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I did some poking around and it appears this is a fairly common problem. I know you are using SGP as I did too a while back. I now use NINA but it doesn't appear that either are the source of the problem. As far as I can see the only major change would be the update to windoz 11 from 10. Most of the software from ASCOM was written for win10 so I would guess that it could be Win11 coming into play.
If you want to get "really crazy". Here's a complete list of the CPWI downloads (including the recent 2.4.3 Beta 6 dated 7-29-2022.)

https://software.celestron.com/installe ... &dir=CPWI/

Also

I'm not familiar with Celestron drivers but it appears you might be able to make a change in the ASCOM setup to use the Celestron Unified driver rather than the CWPI driver and see if that works.

I wish I could help more but I don't have a Celestron mount to test on (unless someone wants to send me a free one....) :D
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Thanks Gordon I appreciate your looking into this.

I actually decided to take another tack and am in the process of 'refurbishing' a Dell laptop with a windows 10 installation. Indeed this issue and some others started popping up when I started using windows 11.

I pretty much have the refurbed Dell whipped into shape but cant really do the final configurations and testing until I have a sky to work with :)

Oh almost forgot, I originally started with the Celestron Unified drivers which require a connection through the hand controller and started having problems with that after changing to a windows 11 laptop. Thats when I switched to CPWI control. It's a bit of cat herding going on.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks for reporting your pc issues Tom. Whenever my 8 year old Dell laptop expires, I may go the refurbished Win10 route again.

Do you use this pc for just acquisition, or image processing also?

Please let us know how the refurb Win10 machine works out.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I think you have already tried this but this i what happened to me.

I have an ASUS laptop, with a ASI120MC camera, and a CGX mount. I tried everything I could think of to get those to work. I was almost ready to buy a new camera when I switched the USB cable to a shorter, thicker, more expensive cable and all of a sudden everything started working. I have no idea why, but it has been working ever since. I picked up another nice USB cable just in case something happens to this one.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:34 pm Thanks for reporting your pc issues Tom. Whenever my 8 year old Dell laptop expires, I may go the refurbished Win10 route again.

Do you use this pc for just acquisition, or image processing also?

Please let us know how the refurb Win10 machine works out.
It will be basically only for imaging. I have a monster computer for processing :)

The refurb of the older Dell was 'easy' using a Windows medial mountable USB flash drive.

The rest was not so easy. I have a long list of software to be installed and configured. Fortunatly in many cases I could copy / paste configuration files from the misbehaving Win 11 laptop. That saves a good deal of work. Still some configuration has to be done manually.

If I get time later I am going to compile a list of everything that needs to be installed and configured. If nothing else just for future reference.
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

jrkirkham wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:46 pm I think you have already tried this but this i what happened to me.

I have an ASUS laptop, with a ASI120MC camera, and a CGX mount. I tried everything I could think of to get those to work. I was almost ready to buy a new camera when I switched the USB cable to a shorter, thicker, more expensive cable and all of a sudden everything started working. I have no idea why, but it has been working ever since. I picked up another nice USB cable just in case something happens to this one.
I have tried just about everything, I use good quality cables but tried 2 or 3 different ones, not to mention changing USB ports etc. All with the same results.

Frankly the USB systems in general in the 'new' ASUS were just downright flakey. Would often have to un / re plug things before they would even show up.

It 'used' to be just get everything turned on, boot the laptop and carry on. Everything would show up and connect on the first try. As mentioned it was when I migrated to Win11 the issues began to pop up.
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Here is the short list of drivers and apps that have to be installed and configured.

* Ascom Platform (install this first)
* Ascom Unified Celestron drivers (mount control)
* Celestron CPWI (scope control)
* PHD2
* Sequence Generator Pro
* GNC Nstep (focuser interface and drivers)
* Guide Camera Drivers
* Plate Solve libraries (copy paste from old machine)
* Team Viewer (remote control)
* QHY camera drivers and Polemaster Software

Dont think I overlooked anything. Of course all that has to be configured, in many cases some config files can be copied over or exported / imported.
Now all I have to do is get it all connected and do the final tweaking but need a more or less clear night for that.
Tom

Current Equipment:
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I highly recommend dumping Windows with its never ending MS framework rewrite-from-scratch cycles. Instead, try a Pi4b with Astroberry or a Stellarmate box, they are the equivalent of ZWO ASIAir without restrictions on camera support. Looking at your feature list, it has the equivalent of everything you use in a single program installation (just check the driver support but they really have a lot). Linux is a much more stable development environment and INDILib has a very strong user base and support group. You can optionally mount the box on the scope (just add a powered USB hub and DCDC as needed). Low power usage, and setup will never be easier. Remote login via VNC and just mount its disk on your desktop for image processing. For the price it's worth a shot just out of curiosity, given how much money and trouble you already went through. You may like it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Thanks Henk, if my latest attempts fail again I may well consider that!

I 'thought' I was going to get a chance to try things last night. Actually made some small progress and had to correct a driver install. However most everything connected right once I got the correct USB ports set, with the exception of the focuser which required a re-start.

But after a few small tweaks everything connected and worked as expected, ASI imaging camera could take subs, Guide camera and mount connected and could loop, CPWI would allow me to move and home the mount. Autofocus software could move the focuser, somewhat promising.

But the cloud gods must have noticed and struck! Even though Meteo Blue reported it would be clearing shortly after sunset the cloud gods noticed and created a pretty big T storm just north of us and spewed clouds throughout the local region. Cameras just showed a wall of noise. After waiting about an hour had to quit and pack things up.

Now it looks like, once again, several days of cloudy nights.
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

A brief update on this saga.

After weeks of not being able to test it is supposed to be kind of clear tonight albiet with a raging full moon, go figure. Anyhow good enough to test things at least.

The refurbed Dell is behaving itself and a dry run a little while ago, everything connected first time, and seem to be responding. Including the focuser. (Sigh of relief).

Now just waiting on dark for the final testing and hopefully only minor tweaking.

Might actually get some images! That would be a refreshing change :)

Hoping for some good luck :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Well the sequence ran all night untill it's time limit! Yay! Even a few flips in there that resolved themselves quickly.

Only had a few minor glitches, the imaging cam frosted over which led me to see if the anti dew was on and doh! Wrong driver! Even though it worked it did not have control of the dew heater. That and some minor adjustments to the autofocus routine and I was off and running.

The polar alignment was not great and tracking was 'okay' but good enough that I did not bother to correct things there.

It's been a pretty long journey to get to this point but the main upshoot of things is Windows 11 and Ascom are not ready for prime time! If your setting up a machine for image control stick with windows 10 ;)
Tom

Current Equipment: