Astroberry problems

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Astroberry problems

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:28 pm @SkyHiker Thank you for clarifying... This will really help me when I finally get a chance to try it out. Yeah, I know its the NCP - but the docs do say "near Polaris". I'm still a bit concerned - I have to physically set up and take down each session (unless I'm camping and then I can leave everything up for a couple of days). And every time I set up the Polemaster has me adjusting the RA/DEC bolts to get the NCP centered. But, I guess I'll just have to see how EKOS figures it out and see if the mount tracks well.
Ekos also requires you to use the Alt/Az controls. Kind of seems necessary, doesn't it.

Put down some markers in a solid place for where to place the feet of your mount. I set up every time too, and my PA is usually within 5' of the NCP simply by accurately placing the feet. Last time I was within 1'.
Star Dad wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:28 pm Which brings another question - do you use PHD or the built-in(?) guiding software. EKOS itself, during set up, says I should use it's guider - not PHD. What do you think?
I use the built-in guider usually with the multi-star feature. I have switched to PHD2 occasionally but frankly, PHD2 is a PITA to set up and has a somewhat outdated GUI. I haven't noticed that PHD2 is better, and it's not worth going outside Ekos for AFAICT. PHD2 has nice analysis features I think but that is not essential unless there is real trouble. Mostly, running open loop will diagnose what's wrong.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Thank you @SkyHiker . I put down heavy duty "waterproof" duct tape. Usually lasts about three months. I've used one spot so long that the mount is slowly digging holes at the three legs' positions in the asphalt. So a couple of months ago I move the location just a tad. I'm going to try some house paint which may last longer - and be more accurate.

Every day lately it seems that - today is cloudy - but tomorrow is clear. Been going on all week. <sigh> Again, thanks for the guidance - let you know when I finally get to try it all out.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I've had two nights of clear skies! Yay! and also :( . Yeah, that's because I've only taken one image (unguided) and that was in frustration. So, the Pi4 is setup. Last night, I was able to connection via wifi with my USB antenna (wlan1) did the polar alignment aka plate solving. Was able to actually slew to a target and get an image and plate solve. HOWEVER, I could not get guiding via EKOS to work. I had watched an old video (taking copious notes) on EKOS and the interface for guiding was obviously way out of date. I could not get it to guide - and frankly, I'm not even sure the guide camera was talking to EKOS. I could get an image from the guide camera - at least I think so. I told the guide software to auto select a star and a green box appeared and it looks like it's trying but it never lit the "RUN" light in the software and would stop working after a minute or so, I thought I'd try PHD but I didn't have the specs for sensor in the guide camera handy and it was now 3AM and decided to pack it in. I've been searching for tutorials on using KStars/EKOS but it seems the ones I'm finding are all old versions. And strange as it sounds, the INDI page on guiding ( https://www.indilib.org/about/ekos/guide-module.html ) says I should use ST-4??? I've never used it in the past, and I thought pulse mode was supposed to be far better. Anyone have a tutorial video or not on setting up guiding on KStars/EKOS?

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:33 pm I've had two nights of clear skies! Yay! and also :( . Yeah, that's because I've only taken one image (unguided) and that was in frustration. So, the Pi4 is setup. Last night, I was able to connection via wifi with my USB antenna (wlan1) did the polar alignment aka plate solving. Was able to actually slew to a target and get an image and plate solve. HOWEVER, I could not get guiding via EKOS to work. I had watched an old video (taking copious notes) on EKOS and the interface for guiding was obviously way out of date. I could not get it to guide - and frankly, I'm not even sure the guide camera was talking to EKOS. I could get an image from the guide camera - at least I think so. I told the guide software to auto select a star and a green box appeared and it looks like it's trying but it never lit the "RUN" light in the software and would stop working after a minute or so, I thought I'd try PHD but I didn't have the specs for sensor in the guide camera handy and it was now 3AM and decided to pack it in. I've been searching for tutorials on using KStars/EKOS but it seems the ones I'm finding are all old versions. And strange as it sounds, the INDI page on guiding ( https://www.indilib.org/about/ekos/guide-module.html ) says I should use ST-4??? I've never used it in the past, and I thought pulse mode was supposed to be far better. Anyone have a tutorial video or not on setting up guiding on KStars/EKOS?
I don't think that's what is says. It says:

Ekos Guide Module enables autoguiding capability using either the powerful built-in guider, or at your option, external guiding via PHD2 or ln_guider. Using the internal guiding, guider CCD frames are captured and sent to Ekos for analysis. Depending on the deviations of the guide star from its lock position, guiding pulses corrections are sent to your mount Via any device that supports ST4 ports. Alternatively, you may send the corrections to your mount directly, if supported by the mount driver.

So, check your guide camera driver support. I use a ZWO ASI120 mini that is listed in their setup combo box (just "ZWO" IIRC). I would be surprised if their implementation builds on ST-4, because they have a separate option for that. So, when it is listed it means that pulse guiding is supported.

About not being sure if your guide camera works, well just take an image, or put that in a cycle and watch the focus come and go as you change the guide camera focus. My guess is that you were simply out of focus, if you don't know for sure if your camera was working or not.

Once you have focus, click the "Start" button. The rest takes care of itself. Assuming you found the right settings, of course.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Having been researching now almost all day, I've come to the conclusion that my $300 ASI120MM is now a brick. Oh, yes, it still works on my old laptop, but the Pi4 is new and apparently when the 120 was made it did not comply with the USB2.0 standard and basically is now obsolete. A couple of people were able to download a firmware upgrade, but alas although my windows box recognizes the camera the upgrade program doesn't. So, I find myself in the pickle once more trying to decide on a guiding camera/scope. I do like the ZWO line, and I do recognize that things go obsolete, and so I probably will purchase one of the ZWO 120 line of cameras again, but I'm wondering if I should get a combo scope to go with it. I'm going to do some searching here on skysearchers first - always great recommendations here.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I made the leap - an ASI120MM-S USB-3.0 is on its way. I checked out Orion's gear - it was twice the price. Fortunately I will be able to re-use my guide scope with the ZWO - so that saved $99. I've read great reviews of the 120MM-S - I certainly don't need the 60 fps it touts, but I have a powered USB3.0 hub on the scope and that should make life a bit easier.

So now - let's watch the clouds roll in for the next month! :roll:

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I *finally* got a clear night last week. And after weeks of struggling I got the Pi and astroberry to work. I watched a couple of youtube videos and decided I was asking too much of astroberry.... and did not set up a sequence, but put the objects in at the end of each run. I have to say that having the laptop inside next to me on the couch (while watching SCI-Fi movies) was delightful. A couple of times clouds rolled in but PHD was able to reacquire each time. I did go out one time to check on the clouds because I was afraid I might get socked in, but it was just a local cloud that dissipated. Yesterday I finally had some time to process the images. I was stunned. The stars were perfect circles. The nebula fairly jumped out of the image.

I had noticed a dramatic change in PHDs pulses... And I'm not sure if it is the result of hardware or software. Mounting everything (Pi, power supplies, etc) on a board and screwing the board onto the scope (support rings) added weight and so I did a re-balance and had to shift my weights down the bar and add another 10 pounds, which made the scope balance perfectly! I went from 2500 ms pulses down to about 120-130ms pulses - so I'm sure that's why I got such round stars. Tonight will be my second night out... here's hoping it all goes well. :) :popcorn: :occasion-balloons:

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Last night started out really tough. First, I thought I'd use an old laptop to run Polemaster, since I've been having problems with my normal laptop, Nope - I forgot it needs a "center of rotation" and I didn't have a spare AC outlet. So I was forced to use my usual laptop. That went well - except Polemaster lost it's mind on the last step and I had to restart from the beginning. Then it took me 2 hours to figure out how to get the mount to be recognized by EKOS and slew to a target... lesson learned - don't use KStars to do a search - use the mount in EKOS. After that things (including me) calmed down, and the rest of the evening went well - except for the period where the guide scope lost it's stars. A physical check on the scope showed it pointing at the house. Guess I got my number of images wrong when I set up the run. LOL - stuff happens. Can't wait to process the images.... Unless something weird happens this will be my last post on the subject. YAY!

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:13 pm Last night started out really tough. First, I thought I'd use an old laptop to run Polemaster, since I've been having problems with my normal laptop, Nope - I forgot it needs a "center of rotation" and I didn't have a spare AC outlet. So I was forced to use my usual laptop. That went well - except Polemaster lost it's mind on the last step and I had to restart from the beginning.
If you have Ekos you can use it to do the polar alignment, it should work the same as Polemaster. I use it all the time myself. It gets confused sometimes depending on the image quality, so I suppose Polemaster is more robust but you may want to give it a try.
Star Dad wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:13 pm Then it took me 2 hours to figure out how to get the mount to be recognized by EKOS and slew to a target... lesson learned - don't use KStars to do a search - use the mount in EKOS.
Create a profile. That lets you specify all electronic devices you use and telescopes as well. Then just select the profile.

Good to hear that you got it going!
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Yeah, now it's more about me getting familiar with and using the software. Doing AP once every 2 or 6 weeks isn't enough to keep the memory banks charged. Now I just have to remember to start shooting darks, flats, etc. I'm retiring the windows portion of my laptop. I can use the Linux side exclusively now - to connect and run wifi to the Pi, and use my desktop to process the images later on. I am thinking of just wiping the Windows off and turn it over completely to Linux. First though, I need to upgrade my linux which is running an older version. Backup everything and then upgrade.